Natural variation in embryo mechanics: gastrulation in Xenopus laevis is highly robust to variation in tissue stiffness
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 1, pages 2–18, January 2009
How to Cite
von Dassow, M. and Davidson, L. A. (2009), Natural variation in embryo mechanics: gastrulation in Xenopus laevis is highly robust to variation in tissue stiffness. Dev. Dyn., 238: 2–18. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21809
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 OCT 2008
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: R01-HD044750
- 1990. The mechanics of notochord elongation, straightening and stiffening in the embryo of Xenopus laevis. Development 110: 115–130. , , .
- 2006. Early, H+-V-ATPase-dependent proton flux is necessary for consistent left-right patterning of non-mammalian vertebrates. Development 133: 1657–1671. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The pipette aspiration applied to the local stiffness measurement of soft tissues. Ann Biomed Eng 25: 581–587. , , , .
- 2006. Gastrulation in amphibian embryos, regarded as a succession of biomechanical feedback events. Int J Dev Biol 50: 113–122. , , , .
- 2006. An extended modeling of the micropipette aspiration experiment for the characterization of the Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio of adherent thin biological samples: numerical and experimental studies. J Biomech 39: 1677–1685. , , , , , .
- 1995. How do sea urchins invaginate? Using biomechanics to distinguish between mechanisms of primary invagination. Development 121: 2005–2018. , , , .
- 1999. Measurements of mechanical properties of the blastula wall reveal which hypothesized mechanisms of primary invagination are physically plausible in the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus purpuratus. Dev Biol 209: 221–238. , , , .
- 1997. Germ-layer surface tensions and “tissue affinities” in Rana pipiens gastrulae: quantitative measurements. Dev Biol 192: 630–644. , , .
- 2003. Perspective: evolution and detection of genetic robustness. Evolution 57: 1959–1972. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Specific inhibition of hatching in amphibian embryos by low pH. J Herpetol 16: 314–316. , .
- 2006. Matrix elasticity directs stem cell lineage specification. Cell 126: 677–689. , , , .
- 2004. Regional requirements for Dishevelled signaling during Xenopus gastrulation: separable effects on blastopore closure, mesendoderm internalization and archenteron formation. Development 131: 6195–6209. , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanical induction of Twist in the Drosophila foregut/stomodeal primordium. Curr Biol 13: 1365–1377. .
- 2006. Matrices with compliance comparable to that of brain tissue select neuronal over glial growth in mixed cortical cultures. Biophys J 90: 3012–3018. , , , , .
- 2001. Ecological developmental biology: developmental biology meets the real world. Dev Biol 233: 1–12. .
- 2004. Effect of water hardness on oocyte quality and embryo development in the African clawed frog (Xenopus laevis). Comp Med 54: 170–175. , .
- 2002. The effects of osmotic stress on the viscoelastic and physical properties of articular chondrocytes. Biophys J 82: 720–727. , , .
- 2006. Substrate rigidity regulates the formation and maintenance of tissues. Biophys J 90: 2213–2220. , , , .
- 1963. The cellular basis of morphogenesis and sea urchin development. Int Rev Cytol 15: 139–214. , .
- 2007. Embryo stability and vulnerability in an always changing world. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 1745–1750. , .
- 1992. Confidence-intervals and tests of hypotheses on variance-components in an unbalanced 2-fold nested design. Biom J 34: 387–402. , , .
- 2000. Micropipette aspiration of living cells. J Biomech 33: 15–22. .
- 2006. Mechanical control of tissue morphogenesis during embryological development. Int J Dev Biol 50: 255–266. .
- 1978. Some forces that shape the nervous system. Zoon 6: 13–21. .
- 2008. Relating cell and tissue mechanics: implications and applications. Dev Dyn 237: 2438–2449. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Xenopus laevis: practical uses in cell and molecular biology. New York: Academic Press. 581 p. , .
- 1984. The cellular basis of gastrulation in Xenopus laevis: active, postinvolution convergence and extension by mediolateral interdigitation. Am Zool 24: 589–603. .
- 2003. How we are shaped: the biomechanics of gastrulation. Differentiation 71: 171–205. , , .
- 1990. Biomechanical approaches to morphogenesis. Semin Dev Biol 1: 367–378. .
- 1987. Mechanical tension and movement in the chick blastoderm as studied by real-time image analysis. J Exp Zool Suppl 1: 329–339. , .
- 2008. Moesin controls cortical rigidity, cell rounding, and spindle morphogenesis during mitosis. Curr Biol 18: 91–101. , , , .
- 2007. Actomyosin contractility and microtubules drive apical constriction in Xenopus bottle cells. Dev Biol 311: 40–52. , .
- 2007. Soft biological materials and their impact on cell function. Soft Matter 3: 299–306. , , .
- 2000. Cell movement is guided by the rigidity of the substrate. Biophys J 79: 144–152. , , , .
- 1956. The mechanical properties of the cell surface. IV. The effect of chemical agents and of changes in pH on the unfertilized sea-urchin egg. J Exp Biol 33: 524–532. .
- 1954a. The mechanical properties of the cell surface. I. The cell elastimeter. J Exp Biol 31: 443–460. , .
- 1954b. The mechanical properties of the cell surface. II. The unfertilized sea-urchin egg. J Exp Biol 31: 461–472. , .
- 1955. The mechanical properties of the cell surface. III. The sea-urchin egg from fertilization to cleavage. J Exp Biol 32: 734–750. , .
- 1995. The dorsal involuting marginal zone stiffens anisotropically during its convergent extension in the gastrula of Xenopus laevis. Development 121: 3130–3140. , , .
- 1978. Mechanical properties of the cell surface in starfish eggs. Dev Growth Differ 20: 317–327. , .
- 1967. Normal tables of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). Amsterdam: Elsevier North-Holland Biomedical Press. , .
- 2005. Pipette aspiration technique for the measurement of nonlinear and anisotropic mechanical properties of blood vessel walls under biaxial stretch. J Biomech 38: 2248–2256. , , , .
- 2004a. Analysis of variance for random models, volume I: balanced data, theory, methods, applications, and data analysis. Boston: Birkhauser. 484 p. , .
- 2004b. Analysis of variance for random models, volume II. Unbalanced data, theory, methods, applications, and data analysis. Boston: Birkhauser. 480 p. , .
- 2005. Tensional homeostasis and the malignant phenotype. Cancer Cell 8: 241–254. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Cell locomotion and focal adhesions are regulated by substrate flexibility. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 13661–13665. , .
- 1985. Hybridization and habitat selection in Xenopus gilli and Xenopus laevis in the South-Western Cape Province. Copeia 1985: 574–580. .
- 1993. Embryonic tolerance of Xenopus (Anura) to acidic blackwater. Copeia 1993: 1072–1081. , , .
- 1997–2008. ImageJ. Bethesda, MD: U.S. National Institutes of Health. .
- 2005. Is the mechanical activity of epithelial cells controlled by deformations or forces? Biophys J 89: L52–54. , , , .
- 2007. Rigidity-driven growth and migration of epithelial cells on microstructured anisotropic substrates. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 8281–8286. , , , , .
- 2004a. Analysis of variance for random models: theory, methods, applications and data analysis. Boston: Birkhauser. 480 p. , .
- 2004b. Analysis of variance for random models: theory, methods, applications and data analysis. Boston: Birkhauser. 484 p. , .
- 1990. Application of the micropipette technique to the measurement of cultured porcine aortic endothelial cell viscoelastic properties. J Biomech Eng 112: 263–268. , , , , .
- 1974. Wave of stiffness propagating along the surface of the newt egg during cleavage. J Cell Biol 60: 1–7. , .
- 2006. The natural variability of morphogenesis: a tool for exploring the mechanics of gastrulation movements in amphibian embryos. Int J Dev Biol 50: 315–322. .
- 1958. The forces producing neural closure in amphibia. J Embryol Exp Morphol 6: 448–465. .
- 2004. The relative magnitudes of endothelial force generation and matrix stiffness modulate capillary morphogenesis in vitro. Exp Cell Res 297: 574–584. , , .
- SiveHL, GraingerRM, HarlandRM, editors. 2000. Early development of Xenopus laevis: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor, New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. 338 p.
- 1994. Biometry. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company. 859 p. , .
- 1999. New anti-actin drugs in the study of the organization and function of the actin cytoskeleton. Microsc Res Tech 47: 18–37. , , , .
- 1977. Waves and periodic events during primitive streak formation in the chick. J Embryol Exp Morphol 41: 15–22. , .
- 2005. In vivo modulation of morphogenetic movements in Drosophila embryos with femtosecond laser pulses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102: 1047–1052. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Ectoderm exerts the driving force for gastrulation in the sand dollar Scaphechinus mirabilis. Dev Growth Differ 43: 265–274. , .
- 2005. A novel G protein-coupled receptor, related to GPR4, is required for assembly of the cortical actin skeleton in early Xenopus embryos. Development 132: 2825–2836. , , , , , .
- 1973. Change in surface extensibility of fundulus deep cells during early development. J Cell Sci 13: 721–726. , .
- 2007. Variation and robustness of the mechanics of gastrulation: the role of tissue mechanical properties during morphogenesis. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 81: 253–269. , .
- 2000. The segment polarity network is a robust developmental module. Nature 406: 188–192. , , , .
- 1939. Order of magnitude of morphogenetic forces. Nature 144: 637. .
- 2001. Calcium signaling during convergent extension in Xenopus. Curr Biol 11: 652–661. , , , .
- 2000. Substrate flexibility regulates growth and apoptosis of normal but not transformed cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 279: C1345–C1350. , , .
- 2005. Tensile properties of embryonic epithelia measured using a novel instrument. J Biomech 38: 2087–2094. , .
- 2004a. Material properties and residual stress in the stage 12 chick heart during cardiac looping. J Biomech Eng 126: 823–830. , .
- 2004b. On the effects of residual stress in microindentation tests of soft tissue structures. J Biomech Eng 126: 276–283. , .
- 2005. Finite element simulation of the micropipette aspiration of a living cell undergoing large viscoelastic deformation. Mech Adv Mater Struct 12: 501–512. , , .
- 2008. Actomyosin stiffens the vertebrate embryo during critical stages of elongation and neural tube closure. Development [in press]. , , .