Transcriptional dynamics of endodermal organ formation
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 1, pages 29–42, January 2009
How to Cite
Sherwood, R. I., Chen, T.-Y. A. and Melton, D. A. (2009), Transcriptional dynamics of endodermal organ formation. Dev. Dyn., 238: 29–42. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21810
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 OCT 2008
- National Science Foundation
- 1993. The formation and maintenance of the definitive endoderm lineage in the mouse: involvement of HNF3/forkhead proteins. Development 119: 1301–1315. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of Cdx-2 in the mouse embryo and placenta: possible role in patterning of the extra-embryonic membranes. Dev Dyn 204: 219–227. , , , .
- 2000. Homeobox genes and gut development. Bioessays 22: 431–441. , , .
- 2002. Prox1 is an early specific marker for the developing liver and pancreas in the mammalian foregut endoderm. Mech Dev 118: 147–155. , .
- 2008. Pdx-1 and Ptf1a concurrently determine fate specification of pancreatic multipotent progenitor cells. Dev Biol 316: 74–86. , , , , .
- 2002. Distribution of the titf2/foxe1 gene product is consistent with an important role in the development of foregut endoderm, palate, and hair. Dev Dyn 224: 450–456. , , , , .
- 2006. FGF signaling is necessary for establishing gut tube domains along the anterior-posterior axis in vivo. Mech Dev 123: 42–55. , , , , .
- 2001. A bipotential precursor population for pancreas and liver within the embryonic endoderm. Development 128: 871–881. , , , , .
- 1994. Colinearity and functional hierarchy among genes of the homeotic complexes. Trends Genet 10: 358–364. , .
- 2008. Regionalisation of the endoderm progenitors and morphogenesis of the gut portals of the mouse embryo. Mech Dev 125: 587–600. , , , , , .
- 2001. Key events of pancreas formation are triggered in gut endoderm by ectopic expression of pancreatic regulatory genes. Genes Dev 15: 444–454. , , .
- 2007. Probing the limits to positional information. Cell 130: 153–164. , , , .
- 1999. Pancreas dorsal lobe agenesis and abnormal islets of Langerhans in Hlxb9-deficient mice. Nat Genet 23: 71–75. , , , , .
- 1998. Notochord repression of endodermal Sonic hedgehog permits pancreas development. Genes Dev 12: 1705–1713. , , .
- 1994. Insulin-promoter-factor 1 is required for pancreas development in mice. Nature 371: 606–609. , , , .
- 1999. Initiation of mammalian liver development from endoderm by fibroblast growth factors. Science 284: 1998–2003. , , , .
- 1997. Notochord to endoderm signaling is required for pancreas development. Development 124: 4243–4252. , , .
- 2000. Activin receptor patterning of foregut organogenesis. Genes Dev 14: 1866–1871. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Regional specification of the endoderm in the early chick embryo. Dev Growth Differ 49: 365–372. , , .
- 2008. Cdx4 is required in the endoderm to localize the pancreas and limit beta-cell number. Development 135: 919–929. , , , .
- 1998. The bHLH protein PTF1–p48 is essential for the formation of the exocrine and the correct spatial organization of the endocrine pancreas. Genes Dev 12: 3752–3763. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Signals from lateral plate mesoderm instruct endoderm toward a pancreatic fate. Dev Biol 259: 109–122. , , , .
- 2001. Induction of pancreatic differentiation by signals from blood vessels. Science 294: 564–567. , , .
- 1997. HNF-6 is expressed in endoderm derivatives and nervous system of the mouse embryo and participates to the cross-regulatory network of liver-enriched transcription factors. Dev Biol 192: 247–257. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Cell fate, morphogenetic movement and population kinetics of embryonic endoderm at the time of germ layer formation in the mouse. Development 101: 627–652. , .
- 1991. The transcription factor TTF-1 is expressed at the onset of thyroid and lung morphogenesis and in restricted regions of the foetal brain. Development 113: 1093–1104. , , , .
- 1999. Selective agenesis of the dorsal pancreas in mice lacking homeobox gene Hlxb9. Nat Genet 23: 67–70. , , , .
- 1995. The role of Hoxa-3 in mouse thymus and thyroid development. Development 121: 1989–2003. , .
- 2000. The homeobox gene Hex is required in definitive endodermal tissues for normal forebrain, liver and thyroid formation. Development 127: 2433–2445. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Liver organogenesis promoted by endothelial cells prior to vascular function. Science 294: 559–563. , , , .
- 1992. Homeobox genes and axial patterning. Cell 68: 283–302. , .
- 2007. Repression of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in the anterior endoderm is essential for liver and pancreas development. Development 134: 2207–2217. , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid generated by Raldh2 in mesoderm is required for mouse dorsal endodermal pancreas development. Dev Dyn 232: 950–957. , , .
- 1993. Postimplantation expression patterns indicate a role for the mouse forkhead/HNF-3 alpha, beta and gamma genes in determination of the definitive endoderm, chordamesoderm and neuroectoderm. Development 119: 567–578. , , , .
- 2005. Purification and characterization of mouse fetal liver epithelial cells with high in vivo repopulation capacity. Hepatology 42: 130–139. , , , , .
- 2006. Mesodermal Wnt2b signalling positively regulates liver specification. Nature 442: 688–691. , , , .
- 1996. PDX-1 is required for pancreatic outgrowth and differentiation of the rostral duodenum. Development 122: 983–995. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Retinoic acid-mediated patterning of the pre-pancreatic endoderm in Xenopus operates via direct and indirect mechanisms. Mech Dev 124: 518–531. , , , .
- 2005. Gene transfer into mouse prepancreatic endoderm by whole embryo electroporation. JOP 6: 128–135. , , , , .
- 2007. Multiple dose-dependent roles for Sox2 in the patterning and differentiation of anterior foregut endoderm. Development 134: 2521–2531. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The cut-homeodomain transcriptional activator HNF-6 is coexpressed with its target gene HNF-3 beta in the developing murine liver and pancreas. Dev Biol 192: 228–246. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Distinct mesodermal signals, including BMPs from the septum transversum mesenchyme, are required in combination for hepatogenesis from the endoderm. Genes Dev 15: 1998–2009. , , , .
- 1993. Sequential expression of HNF-3 beta and HNF-3 alpha by embryonic organizing centers: the dorsal lip/node, notochord and floor plate. Mech Dev 44: 91–108. , , , .
- 2005. Different thresholds of fibroblast growth factors pattern the ventral foregut into liver and lung. Development 132: 35–47. , , , , .
- 2007. Prospective isolation and global gene expression analysis of definitive and visceral endoderm. Dev Biol 304: 541–555. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Bmp and Fgf signaling are essential for liver specification in zebrafish. Development 134: 2041–2050. , , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Enzymo- and immunocytochemical analyses of the differentiation of liver cells in the prenatal mouse. J Embryol Exp Morphol 62: 139–152. .
- 2002. Retinoic acid signaling is required for a critical early step in zebrafish pancreatic development. Curr Biol 12: 1215–1220. , .
- 1998. Hex: a homeobox gene revealing peri-implantation asymmetry in the mouse embryo and an early transient marker of endothelial cell precursors. Development 125: 85–94. , , .
- 2002. BMP signalling regulates anteroposterior endoderm patterning in zebrafish. Mech Dev 118: 29–37. , , , , .
- 2005. Distinct populations of endoderm cells converge to generate the embryonic liver bud and ventral foregut tissues. Dev Biol 280: 87–99. , .
- 2005. Prox1 activity controls pancreas morphogenesis and participates in the production of “secondary transition” pancreatic endocrine cells. Dev Biol 286: 182–194. , , , , , .
- 2000. Early mouse endoderm is patterned by soluble factors from adjacent germ layers. Development 127: 1563–1572. , .
- 2004. Endothelial cell interactions initiate dorsal pancreas development by selectively inducing the transcription factor Ptf1a. Development 131: 807–817. , .