Identification and characterization of two zebrafish nectin-1 genes that are differentially expressed in the developing eye and brain
Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 1, pages 43–55, January 2009
How to Cite
Helvik, J. V., Rødahl, E., Drivenes, Ø. and Haarr, L. (2009), Identification and characterization of two zebrafish nectin-1 genes that are differentially expressed in the developing eye and brain. Dev. Dyn., 238: 43–55. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21813
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 OCT 2008
- Western Norway Regional Health Authority
- 1997. Mouse homolog of poliovirus receptor-related gene 2 product, mPRR2, mediates homophilic cell aggregation. Exp Cell Res 235: 374–384. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. E-cadherin regulates cell movements and tissue formation in early zebrafish embryos. Dev Dyn 230: 263–277. , .
- 1993. Subcellular localization of alpha-tubulin and opsin mRNA in the goldfish retina using digoxigenin-labeled cRNA probes detected by alkaline phosphatase and HRP histochemistry. J Neurosci Methods 50: 145–152. , .
- 2000. Defects in nuclear and cytoskeletal morphology and mitochondrial localization in spermatozoa of mice lacking nectin-2, a component of cell-cell adherens junctions. Mol Cell Biol 20: 2865–2873. , , , . , , , .
- 1991. Autosomal recessive ectodermal dysplasia: I. An undescribed dysplasia/malformation syndrome. Am J Med Genet 41: 398–404. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The ectodomain of a novel member of the immunoglobulin subfamily related to the poliovirus receptor has the attributes of a bona fide receptor for herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 in human cells. J Virol 72: 9992–10002. , , , , .
- 2001. Chimeric nectin1-poliovirus receptor molecules identify a nectin1 region functional in herpes simplex virus entry. J Virol 75: 7987–7994. , , , , .
- 1998. Entry of alphaherpesviruses mediated by poliovirus receptor-related protein 1 and poliovirus receptor. Science 280: 1618–1620. , , , , .
- 2001. Transcription from the gene encoding the herpesvirus entry receptor nectin-1 (HveC) in nervous tissue of adult mouse. Virology 287: 301–309. , , , , .
- 2001. Topography of different photoreceptor cell types in the larval retina of Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus). J Exp Biol 204: 2553–2559. , , , .
- 2006. Spatiotemporal changes of the herpes simplex virus entry receptor nectin-1 in murine brain during postnatal development. J Neurovirol 12: 161–170. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Roles of cell-adhesion molecules nectin 1 and nectin 3 in ciliary body development. Development 132: 1525–1537. , , , , , , . , .
- 1992. The rapid generation of mutation data matrices from protein sequences. Comput Appl Biosci 8: 275–282. , , .
- 1999a. Spatial correspondence between R-cadherin expression domains and retinal ganglion cell axons in developing zebrafish. J Comp Neurol 410: 290–302. , , .
- 1999b. R-cadherin expression in the developing and adult zebrafish visual system. J Comp Neurol 410: 303–319. , , , , .
- 2007. Differential expression of photoreceptor-specific genes in the retina of a zebrafish cadherin2 mutant glass onion and zebrafish cadherin4 morphants. Exp Eye Res 84: 163–175 , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Cadherin-6 function in zebrafish retinal development. Dev Neurobiol 68: 1107–1122. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Zebrafish N-cadherin, encoded by the glass onion locus, plays an essential role in retinal patterning. Dev Biol 259: 95–108. , , .
- 2002. Amino acid substitutions in the V domain of nectin-1 (HveC) that impair entry activity for herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 but not for Pseudorabies virus or bovine herpesvirus 1. J Virol 76: 7255–7262. , .
- 2003. N-cadherin mediates retinal lamination, maintenance of forebrain compartments and patterning of retinal neurites. Development 130: 2479–2494. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The murine homolog of human Nectin1delta serves as a species nonspecific mediator for entry of human and animal alpha herpesviruses in a pathway independent of a detectable binding to gD. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 4867–4872. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Porcine HveC, a member of the highly conserved HveC/nectin 1 family, is a functional alphaherpesvirus receptor. Virology 281: 315–328. , , , , .
- 2000. Interaction of nectin with afadin is necessary for its clustering at cell-cell contact sites but not for its cis dimerization or trans interaction. J Biol Chem 275: 613–618. , , , , , .
- 2002. Nectin: an adhesion molecule involved in formation of synapses. J Cell Biol 156: 555–565. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Role of the second immunoglobulin-like loop of nectin in cell-cell adhesion. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293: 45–49. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Anatomy of neurogenesis in the early zebrafish brain. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 140: 137–155. , .
- 2005. Atlas of early zebrafish brain development. A tool for molecular neurogenetics, 1st ed. Amsterdam: Elsevier. , .
- 2006. Nectins and nectin-like molecules: roles in cell adhesion, polarization, movement, and proliferation. IUBMB Life 58: 334–343. , .
- 2004. Contacts between the commissural axons and the floor plate cells are mediated by nectins. Dev Biol 273: 244–256. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Influences on neural lineage and mode of division in the zebrafish retina in vivo. J Cell Biol 171: 991–999. , , , .
- 2008. Nectin-1 (HveC) is expressed at high levels in neural subtypes that regulate radial migration of cortical and cerebellar neurons of the developing human and murine brain. J Neurovirol 14: 164–172. , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Nectin4/PRR4, a new afadin-associated member of the nectin family that trans-interacts with nectin1/PRR1 through V domain interaction. J Biol Chem 276: 43205–43215. , , , , , .
- 2001. Euteleost fish genomes are characterized by expansion of gene families. Genome Res 11: 781–788. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Study of the PVRL1 gene in Italian nonsyndromic cleft lip patients with or without cleft palate. Ann Hum Genet 70: 410–413. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Striking similarity of murine nectin-1alpha to human nectin-1alpha (HveC) in sequence and activity as a glycoprotein D receptor for alphaherpesvirus entry. J Virol 74: 11773–11781. , , , .
- 2005. Morphogenesis of the anterior segment in the zebrafish eye. BMC Dev Biol 5: 12. , .
- 2001. Mutation of PVRL1 is associated with sporadic, non-syndromic cleft lip/palate in northern Venezuela. Nat Genet 29: 141–142. , , , , , .
- 2000. Three classes of cell surface receptors for alphaherpesvirus entry. Virology 275: 1–8. , , .
- 1996. Quartet puzzling: a quartet maximum likelihood method for reconstructing tree topologies. Mol Biol Evol 13: 964–969. , .
- 2000. Mutations of PVRL1, encoding a cell-cell adhesion molecule/herpesvirus receptor, in cleft lip/palate-ectodermal dysplasia. Nat Genet 25: 427–430. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Nectin and afadin: novel organizers of intercellular junctions. J Cell Sci 116: 17–27. , .
- 2003. Nectins and nectin-like molecules: roles in cell adhesion, migration, and polarization. Cancer Sci 94: 655–667. , , , , .
- 2003. Role of nectin in formation of E-cadherin-based adherens junctions in keratinocytes: analysis with the N-cadherin dominant negative mutant. Mol Biol Cell 14: 1597–1609. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Interneurite affinity is regulated by heterophilic nectin interactions in concert with the cadherin machinery. J Cell Biol 174: 141–151 , , , , , .
- 2004. Herpes simplex virus entry receptor nectin-1 is widely expressed in the murine eye. Curr Eye Res 29: 303–309. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A role for N-cadherin in mesodermal morphogenesis during gastrulation. Dev Biol 310: 211–225. , .
- 2002. Systematic analysis of E-, N- and P-cadherin expression in mouse eye development. Exp Eye Res 74: 753–760. , , .
- 2005. Enhanced nectin-1 expression and herpes oncolytic sensitivity in highly migratory and invasive carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 11: 4889–4897. , , , , , , , .