Nasal embryonic LHRH factor plays a role in the developmental migration and projection of gonadotropin-releasing hormone 3 neurons in zebrafish
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 1, pages 66–75, January 2009
How to Cite
Palevitch, O., Abraham, E., Borodovsky, N., Levkowitz, G., Zohar, Y. and Gothilf, Y. (2009), Nasal embryonic LHRH factor plays a role in the developmental migration and projection of gonadotropin-releasing hormone 3 neurons in zebrafish. Dev. Dyn., 238: 66–75. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21823
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 OCT 2008
- The United States-Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development (BARD) Fund. Grant Number: 3428-03
- 2008. Early development of forebrain gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurones and the role of GnRH as an autocrine migration factor. J Neuroendocrinol 20: 394–405. , , , , , .
- 2007. The genetics of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Semin Reprod Med 25: 272–286. , .
- 2007. Molecular pathogenesis of Kallmann's syndrome. Horm Res 67: 231–242. , , , , .
- 2007. From nose to fertility: the long migratory journey of gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurons. Trends Neurosci 30: 638–644. , , .
- 2002. Evolutionary development of three gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) systems in vertebrates. Brain Res Bull 57: 413–418. , , , .
- 2000. LHRH neuronal migration: heterotypic transplantation analysis of guidance cues. J Neurobiol 42: 95–103. , ,
- 2002. GnRH: the master molecule of reproduction. Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers. .
- 1944. The genetic aspects of primary eunuchoidism. Am J Ment Defic 158: 203–236. , , .
- 2000. Novel gene expressed in nasal region influences outgrowth of olfactory axons and migration of luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) neurons. Genes Dev 14: 1824–1834. , .
- 2001. Nasal embryonic LHRH factor (NELF) expression within the CNS and PNS of the rodent. Brain Res Gene Expr Patterns 1: 23–26. , .
- 2001. Predicting transmembrane protein topology with a hidden Markov model: application to complete genomes. J Mol Biol 305: 567–580. , , , .
- 2005. Chromosomal organization, evolutionary relationship, and expression of zebrafish GnRH family members. J Biomed Sci 12: 629–639. , , , .
- 2003. Cell migration in the forebrain. Annu Rev Neurosci 26: 441–483. , .
- 2004. Characterization of the human nasal embryonic LHRH factor gene, NELF, and a mutation screening among 65 patients with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (IHH). J Hum Genet 49: 265–268. , , .
- 1998. LHRH neurons migrate into the trigeminal nerve when the developing olfactory nerve fibers are physically interrupted in chick embryos. Gen Comp Endocrinol 112: 312–321. , , , .
- 1971. Effect of purified luteinizing hormone releasing factor on normal and hypogonadotrophic anosmic men. Nature 232: 496–497. , , .
- 2000. Effective targeted gene ‘knockdown’ in zebrafish. Nat Genet 26: 216–220. , .
- 2008. Structural and functional evolution of gonadotropin-releasing hormone in vertebrates. Acta Physiol (Oxf) 193: 3–15. , .
- 2007. Ontogeny of the GnRH systems in zebrafish brain: in situ hybridization and promoter-reporter expression analyses in intact animals. Cell Tissue Res 327: 313–322. , , , , , .
- 2007. Digenic mutations account for variable phenotypes in idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. J Clin Invest 117: 457–463. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular forms of GnRH in three model fishes: rockfish, medaka and zebrafish. J Endocrinol 150: 17–23. , , , .
- 1999. Origin and migration of luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone neurons in mammals. Microsc Res Tech 44: 2–10. .
- 1989. Origin of luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone neurons. Nature 338: 161–164. , .
- 1989. Luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH)-expressing cells do not migrate normally in an inherited hypogonadal (Kallmann) syndrome. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 6: 311–326. , , .
- 2007. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone neuronal migration. Semin Reprod Med 25: 305–312. , , .
- 2003. Molecular characterization of the GnRH system in zebrafish (Danio rerio): cloning of chicken GnRH-II, adult brain expression patterns and pituitary content of salmon GnRH and chicken GnRH-II. Gen Comp Endocrinol 133: 27–37. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Minireview: recent progress in gonadotropin-releasing hormone neuronal migration. Endocrinology 147: 1159–1165. , .
- 2002. In silico and in situ characterization of the zebrafish (Danio rerio) gnrh3 (sGnRH) gene. BMC Genom 3: 25. , , , .
- 1995. The zebrafish book. Oregon: University of Oregon Press. .
- 1998. Genomic structure and expression sites of three gonadotropin-releasing hormone genes in one species. Gen Comp Endocrinol 112: 17–25. , .
- 2006. Development of GnRH cells: setting the stage for puberty. Mol Cell Endocrinol 25: 39–50. , , , , .
- 2002. Development of gonadotropin-releasing hormone-1 neurons. Front Neuroendocrinol 23: 292–316. .
- 1989. Evidence that cells expressing luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone mRNA in the mouse are derived from progenitor cells in the olfactory placode. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86: 8132–8136. , , .
- 1996. Migration of GnRH-immunoreactive neurons from the olfactory placode to the brain: a study using avian embryonic chimeras. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 95: 234–244. , , , , .