This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Bmp2 is required for cephalic neural tube closure in the mouse†
Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2008
Published 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 1, pages 110–122, January 2009
How to Cite
Castranio, T. and Mishina, Y. (2009), Bmp2 is required for cephalic neural tube closure in the mouse. Dev. Dyn., 238: 110–122. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21829
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 NOV 2008
- Intramural Research Program of the NIEHS/NIH. Grant Number: ES071003-10
- Gift from RIKEN Brain Science Institute
- 1996. A targeted mouse Otx2 mutation leads to severe defects in gastrulation and formation of axial mesoderm and to deletion of rostral brain. Development 122: 243–252. , , , , , .
- 1991. Curvature of the caudal region is responsible for failure of neural tube closure in the curly tail (ct) mouse embryo. Development 113: 671–678. , , , .
- 2002. Mouse Dispatched homolog1 is required for long-range, but not juxtacrine, Hh signaling. Curr Biol 12: 1628–1632. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Neurulation in the cranial region: normal and abnormal. J Anat 207: 623–635. .
- 1988. A cell-type-specific abnormality of cell proliferation in mutant (curly tail) mouse embryos developing spinal neural tube defects. Development 104: 285–295. , , .
- 2003. The genetic basis of mammalian neurulation. Nat Rev Genet 4: 784–793. , , .
- 2007. Bmp2 is required for migration but not for induction of neural crest cells in the mouse. Dev Dyn 236: 2493–2501. , , , , , .
- 1993. Altered Pax gene expression in murine notochord mutants: the notochord is required to initiate and maintain ventral identity in the somite. Mech Dev 44: 189–207. , , .
- 2006. Tcof1/Treacle is required for neural crest cell formation and proliferation deficiencies that cause craniofacial abnormalities. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 13403–13408. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog, a member of a family of putative signaling molecules, is implicated in the regulation of CNS polarity. Cell 75: 1417–1430. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Interaction between splotch (Sp) and curly tail (ct) mouse mutants in the embryonic development of neural tube defects. Development 119: 113–121. , , .
- 2007. Potentiation of astrogliogenesis by STAT3-mediated activation of bone morphogenetic protein-Smad signaling in neural stem cells. Mol Cell Biol 27: 4931–4937. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) as regulators of dorsal forebrain development. Development 124: 2203–2212. , , .
- 1993a. Analysis of the Pax-3 gene in the mouse mutant splotch. Genomics 17: 355–363. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993b. Signals from the notochord and floor plate regulate the region-specific expression of two Pax genes in the developing spinal cord. Development 117: 1001–1016. , , .
- 2007. Lmx1b is essential for Fgf8 and Wnt1 expression in the isthmic organizer during tectum and cerebellum development in mice. Development 134: 317–325. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Bone morphogenetic proteins in development. Curr Opin Genet Dev 6: 432–438. .
- 2000. Development. The decade of the developing brain. Curr Opin Neurobiol 10: 599–611. , .
- 2008. Prevention of the neurocristopathy Treacher Collins syndrome through inhibition of p53 function. Nat Med 14: 125–133. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Mouse models for neural tube closure defects. Hum Mol Genet 9: 993–1000. , .
- 2000. BMP signaling is essential for development of skeletogenic and neurogenic cranial neural crest. Development 127: 1095–1104. , , , .
- 1998. Computer-generated three-dimensional reconstructions of serially sectioned mouse embryos. J Anat 193: 323–336. , , , .
- 1994. The TGF-beta superfamily: new members, new receptors, and new genetic tests of function in different organisms. Genes Dev 8: 133–146. .
- 2005. BMP signaling and early embryonic patterning. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 16: 265–278. , .
- 2004. BMP signaling through ACVRI is required for left-right patterning in the early mouse embryo. Dev Biol 276: 185–193. , , , , , .
- 2004. Neural induction requires BMP inhibition only as a late step, and involves signals other than FGF and Wnt antagonists. Development 131: 5671–5681. , .
- 2005. Bmp2 is essential for cardiac cushion epithelial-mesenchymal transition and myocardial patterning. Development 132: 5601–5611. , , , .
- 2006. The mouse Ovol2 gene is required for cranial neural tube development. Dev Biol 291: 38–52. , , , , .
- 1998. Noggin-mediated antagonism of BMP signaling is required for growth and patterning of the neural tube and somite. Genes Dev 12: 1438–1452. , , , , , .
- 2003. The amino-terminal region of Gli3 antagonizes the Shh response and acts in dorsoventral fate specification in the developing spinal cord. Dev Biol 257: 343–355. , .
- 2003. Function of bone morphogenetic protein signaling during mouse development. Front Biosci 8: d855–869. .
- 2001. Cell and tissue requirements for the gene eed during mouse gastrulation and organogenesis. Genesis 31: 142–146. , , , .
- 2006. Etiology, pathogenesis and prevention of neural tube defects. Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 46: 55–67. .
- 2002. Rescue of neural tube defects in Pax-3-deficient embryos by p53 loss of function: implications for Pax-3- dependent development and tumorigenesis. Genes Dev 16: 676–680. , , .
- 1997. Neural tube defects in embryos of diabetic mice: role of the Pax-3 gene and apoptosis. Diabetes 46: 1189–1197. , , .
- 2005. BMP2 and FGF2 cooperate to induce neural-crest-like fates from fetal and adult CNS stem cells. J Cell Sci 118: 5849–5860. , , , , , .
- 2006. Role of bone morphogenic protein 2 in retinal patterning and retinotectal projection. J Neurosci 26: 10868–10878. , , , , , .
- 2008. Influences of reduced expression of maternal bone morphogenetic protein 2 on mouse embryonic development. Sex Dev 2: 134–141. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Twist function is required for the morphogenesis of the cephalic neural tube and the differentiation of the cranial neural crest cells in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 247: 251–270. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat Genet 21: 70–71. .
- 1995. MARCKS deficiency in mice leads to abnormal brain development and perinatal death. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 944–948. , , , .
- 2002. BMP signaling patterns the dorsal and intermediate neural tube via regulation of homeobox and helix-loop-helix transcription factors. Development 129: 2459–2472. , , .
- 2006. BMP2 activity, although dispensable for bone formation, is required for the initiation of fracture healing. Nat Genet 38: 1424–1429. , , , , , , , , .
- 1965. Bone: formation by autoinduction. Science 150: 893–899. .
- 1991. Pax-6, a murine paired box gene, is expressed in the developing CNS. Development 113: 1435–1449. , .
- 1998. Smads and early developmental signaling by the TGFbeta superfamily. Genes Dev 12: 2445–2462. .
- 1993. Detection of messenger RNA by in situ hybridization to tissue sections and whole mounts. Methods Enzymol 225: 361–373. , .
- 1987. Expression of the proto-oncogene int-1 is restricted to specific neural cells in the developing mouse embryo. Cell 50: 79–88. , , .
- 2001. Inhibition of BMP2-induced, TAK1 kinase-mediated neurite outgrowth by Smad6 and Smad7. Genes Cells 6: 1091–1099. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog and the molecular regulation of mouse neural tube closure. Development 129: 2507–2517. , , , .
- 2007. Neural plate morphogenesis during mouse neurulation is regulated by antagonism of Bmp signalling. Development 134: 3203–3211. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Mice deficient for BMP2 are nonviable and have defects in amnion/chorion and cardiac development. Development 122: 2977–2986. , .
- 2003. Consequences of knocking out BMP signaling in the mouse. Genesis 35: 43–56. .
- 1996. Prenatal folic acid treatment suppresses acrania and meroanencephaly in mice mutant for the Cart1 homeobox gene. Nat Genet 13: 275–283. , , .
- 2005. Using genomewide mutagenesis screens to identify the genes required for neural tube closure in the mouse. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 73: 583–590. , , .
- 2007. The Hectd1 ubiquitin ligase is required for development of the head mesenchyme and neural tube closure. Dev Biol 306: 208–221. , , .