Analysis of human muscle stem cells reveals a differentiation-resistant progenitor cell population expressing Pax7 capable of self-renewal
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 1, pages 138–149, January 2009
How to Cite
Pawlikowski, B., Lee, L., Zuo, J. and Kramer, R. H. (2009), Analysis of human muscle stem cells reveals a differentiation-resistant progenitor cell population expressing Pax7 capable of self-renewal. Dev. Dyn., 238: 138–149. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21833
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 NOV 2008
- NIH. Grant Number: R01 DE 015404
- 1999. Dynamics of myoblast transplantation reveal a discrete minority of precursors with stem cell-like properties as the myogenic source. J Cell Biol 144: 1113–1122. , , , .
- 1995. Essential role for the c-met receptor in the migration of myogenic precursor cells into the limb bud. Nature 376: 768–771. , , , , .
- 2005. An initial blueprint for myogenic differentiation. Genes Dev 19: 553–569. , , , , , .
- 2001. Purification of mouse primary myoblasts based on alpha 7 integrin expression. Exp Cell Res 265: 212–220. , , , .
- 2007. Skeletal muscle progenitor cells and the role of Pax genes. C R Biol 330: 530–533. .
- 2007. The role of Pax genes in the development of tissues and organs: Pax3 and Pax7 regulate muscle progenitor cell functions. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 23: 645–673. , .
- 2008. Highly efficient, functional engraftment of skeletal muscle stem cells in dystrophic muscles. Cell 134: 37–47. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Cellular and molecular regulation of muscle regeneration. Physiol Rev 84: 209–238. , .
- 2005. Stem cell function, self-renewal, and behavioral heterogeneity of cells from the adult muscle satellite cell niche. Cell 122: 289–301. , , , , , , .
- 2007. A population of myogenic stem cells that survives skeletal muscle aging. Stem Cells 25: 885–894. , , , , .
- 2002. The regulation of Notch signaling controls satellite cell activation and cell fate determination in postnatal myogenesis. Dev Cell 3: 397–409. , .
- 2007. High incidence of non-random template strand segregation and asymmetric fate determination in dividing stem cells and their progeny. PLoS Biol 5: e102. , , .
- 1999. The role of SF/HGF and c-Met in the development of skeletal muscle. Development 126: 1621–1629. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. In vitro and in vivo expression of alpha 7 integrin and desmin define the primary and secondary myogenic lineages. Dev Biol 156: 209–229. , , , .
- 1988. Replicating myoblasts express a muscle-specific phenotype. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85: 9606–9610. , .
- 2006. Distinct roles for Pax7 and Pax3 in adult regenerative myogenesis. J Cell Biol 172: 103–113. , , , , .
- 2007. Asymmetric self-renewal and commitment of satellite stem cells in muscle. Cell 129: 999–1010. , , , .
- 2008. Niche regulation of muscle satellite cell self-renewal and differentiation. Cell Stem Cell 2: 22–31. , , .
- 2005. Muscle stem cells and regenerative myogenesis. Curr Top Dev Biol 71: 113–130. , , .
- 2008. Pax7 activates myogenic genes by recruitment of a histone methyltransferase complex. Nat Cell Biol 10: 77–84. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Direct isolation of satellite cells for skeletal muscle regeneration. Science 309: 2064–2067. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Pax-7 up-regulation inhibits myogenesis and cell cycle progression in satellite cells: a potential mechanism for self-renewal. Dev Biol 275: 375–388. , .
- 2004. Pax7 directs postnatal renewal and propagation of myogenic satellite cells but not their specification. EMBO J 23: 3430–3439. , , .
- 2006. alpha7 integrin expressing human fetal myogenic progenitors have stem cell-like properties and are capable of osteogenic differentiation. Exp Cell Res 312: 4162–4180. , , , , .
- 2007. Stem and progenitor cells in skeletal muscle development, maintenance, and therapy. Mol Ther 15: 867–877. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Molecular mechanisms regulating myogenic determination and differentiation. Front Biosci 5: D750–D767. , .
- 2005. A Pax3/Pax7-dependent population of skeletal muscle progenitor cells. Nature 435: 948–953. , , , .
- 2006. Pax3 and Pax7 have distinct and overlapping functions in adult muscle progenitor cells. J Cell Biol 172: 91–102. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The basement membrane/basal lamina of skeletal muscle. J Biol Chem 278: 12601–12604. .
- 2005. Mechanisms underlying the transcriptional regulation of skeletal myogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev 15: 528–535. , .
- 1994. Molecular cloning and characterization of a human PAX-7 cDNA expressed in normal and neoplastic myocytes. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 4574–4582. , , , , .
- 2000. Pax7 is required for the specification of myogenic satellite cells. Cell 102: 777–786. , , , , , .
- 2006. Satellite-cell pool size does matter: defining the myogenic potency of aging skeletal muscle. Dev Biol 294: 50–66. , , , .
- 2001. Transfection of MCF-7 carcinoma cells with human integrin alpha7 cDNA promotes adhesion to laminin. Arch Biochem Biophys 385: 108–116. , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of alpha7 integrin expression during muscle differentiation. J Biol Chem 278: 49780–49788. , , , .
- 1994. Temporal expression of regulatory and structural muscle proteins during myogenesis of satellite cells on isolated adult rat fibers. Dev Biol 164: 588–603. , .
- 1996. Alpha7 integrin mediates cell adhesion and migration on specific laminin isoforms. J Biol Chem 271: 25598–25603. , , , .
- 2002. Kinetics of myoblast proliferation show that resident satellite cells are competent to fully regenerate skeletal muscle fibers. Exp Cell Res 281: 39–49. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Muscle satellite cells adopt divergent fates: a mechanism for self-renewal? J Cell Biol 166: 347–357. , , , , , .
- 2006. Pax7 and myogenic progression in skeletal muscle satellite cells. J Cell Sci 119: 1824–1832. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Integrin engagement differentially modulates epithelial cell motility by RhoA/ROCK and PAK1. J Biol Chem 280: 10624–10635. , .