Patterns & Phenotypes
Role for notch signaling in salivary acinar cell growth and differentiation
Version of Record online: 22 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 3, pages 724–731, March 2009
How to Cite
Dang, H., Lin, A. L., Zhang, B., Zhang, H.-M., Katz, M. S. and Yeh, C.-K. (2009), Role for notch signaling in salivary acinar cell growth and differentiation. Dev. Dyn., 238: 724–731. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21875
- Issue online: 22 FEB 2009
- Version of Record online: 22 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 DEC 2008
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Grant Number: R21 DE15381
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. Grant Number: R01 HL75011
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- 2003. Notch-induced proteolysis and nuclear localization of the Delta ligand. J Biol Chem 278: 13607–13610. , , .
- 2007. Epithelial stem cells: turning over new leaves. Cell 128: 445–458. , , .
- 1993. Immunohistochemical analysis of the proliferative capacity of duct and acinar cells during ligation-induced atrophy and subsequent regeneration of rat parotid gland. J Oral Pathol Med 22: 440–446. , , , , .
- 2006. Notch, epidermal growth factor receptor, and beta1-integrin pathways are coordinated in neural stem cells. J Biol Chem 281: 5300–5309. , , , .
- 2007. Notch signaling pathway and tissue engineering. Front Biosci 12: 5143–5156. , , , .
- 2006. Notch signaling in stem cell systems. Stem Cells 24: 2437–2447. .
- 2006. Inhibition of CD95-mediated apoptosis through beta 1 integrin in the HSG epithelial cell line. Cell Commun Adhes 13: 223–232. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Mitogen-activated protein kinase up-regulation and activation during rat parotid gland atrophy and regeneration: role of epidermal growth factor and beta2-adrenergic receptors. Differentiation 76: 546–557. , , , , , .
- 1999. A presenilin-1-dependent gamma-secretase-like protease mediates release of Notch intracellular domain. Nature 398: 518–522. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Salivary glands: a paradigm for diversity of gland development. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 8: 51–75. , , .
- 1971. Histogenic classification of salivary tumors. Arch Pathol 92: 433–443. .
- 2000. Ras pathway signals are required for notch-mediated oncogenesis. Oncogene 19: 4191–4198. , , .
- 2007. Cell and molecular biology of Notch. J Endocrinol 194: 459–474. , .
- 1997a. Serrate-mediated activation of Notch is specifically blocked by the product of the gene fringe in the dorsal compartment of the Drosophila wing imaginal disc. Development 124: 2973–2981. , , .
- 1997b. The NOTCH receptor and its ligands. Trends Cell Biol 7: 437–441. , , .
- 2003. Specification of cell fates within the salivary gland primordium. Dev Biol 258: 443–453. , , .
- 1992. The function of the neurogenic genes during epithelial development in the Drosophila embryo. Development 116: 1203–1220. , , , .
- 1997. Epithelial morphogenesis in mouse embryonic submandibular gland: its relationships to the tissue organization of epithelium and mesenchyme. Dev Growth Differ 39: 1–8. , .
- 1996. Role of laminin-1 and TGF-beta 3 in acinar differentiation of a human submandibular gland cell line (HSG). J Cell Sci 109(pt 8): 2013–2021. , , , .
- 2002. Gene expression profiles of mouse submandibular gland development: FGFR1 regulates branching morphogenesis in vitro through BMP- and FGF-dependent mechanisms. Development 129: 5767–5778. , , , , , , .
- 1997. A dominant-negative form of Serrate acts as a general antagonist of Notch activation. Development 124: 3427–3437. , , .
- 2002. A morphogenetic concept of salivary duct regeneration and metaplasia. Virchows Arch 440: 519–526. , , , , , .
- 2000. PKC and ERK1/2 regulate amylase promoter activity during differentiation of a salivary gland cell line. J Cell Physiol 185: 215–225. , , , , , .
- 1996. Contemporary approaches to the study of salivary gland morphogenesis. Eur J Morphol 34: 143–147. , .
- 1997. Epidermal growth factor system is a physiological regulator of development of the mouse fetal submandibular gland and regulates expression of the alpha6-integrin subunit. Dev Dyn 208: 149–161. , .
- 2000. The ERK-1/2 signaling pathway is involved in the stimulation of branching morphogenesis of fetal mouse submandibular glands by EGF. Dev Biol 220: 183–196. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Notch in vertebrates—molecular aspects of the signal. Int J Dev Biol 49: 369–374. , .
- 1998. Adhesion to fibronectin or collagen I gel induces rapid, extensive, biosynthetic alterations in epithelial cells. J Cell Physiol 175: 163–173. , , .
- 2000. X-linked loci of Drosophila melanogaster causing defects in the morphology of the embryonic salivary glands. Dev Genes Evol 210: 525–535. , .
- 2006. Cell and fibronectin dynamics during branching morphogenesis. J Cell Sci 119: 3376–3384. , , .
- 2007. Epidermal growth factor receptor and notch pathways participate in the tumor suppressor function of gamma-secretase. J Biol Chem 282: 32264–32273. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Expression of differentiation associated protein Hes1 and Hes5 in cervical squamous carcinoma and its precursors. Int J Gynecol Cancer 17: 1293–1299. , , , , , .
- 2006. The role of saliva in maintaining oral health and as an aid to diagnosis. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 11: E449–E455. .
- 2001. Contributions of intercalated duct cells to the normal parenchyma of submandibular glands of adult rats. Anat Rec 263: 202–214. , , , .
- 1999. EGF-dependent lobule formation and FGF7-dependent stalk elongation in branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium in vitro. Dev Dyn 215: 148–154. , .
- 1991. Substitution for mesenchyme by basement-membrane-like substratum and epidermal growth factor in inducing branching morphogenesis of mouse salivary epithelium. Development 112: 855–861. , .
- 1999. Hes1 and Hes5 as notch effectors in mammalian neuronal differentiation. EMBO J 18: 2196–2207. , , , , , .
- 2006. Functional analysis of Hes-1 in preadipocytes. Mol Endocrinol 20: 698–705. , , , , , .
- 1999. Morphological and functional characteristics of acinar atrophy and recovery in the duct-ligated parotid gland of the rat. J Dent Res 78: 1711–1719. , , .
- 2007. Notch signaling, gamma-secretase inhibitors, and cancer therapy. Cancer Res 67: 1879–1882. , .
- 1981. A neoplastic epithelial duct cell line established from an irradiated human salivary gland. Cancer 48: 745–752. , , .
- 2005. Fusion oncogenes and tumor type specificity—insights from salivary gland tumors. Semin Cancer Biol 15: 224–235. .
- 1998. Origin of acinar cell regeneration after atrophy of the rat parotid induced by duct obstruction. Int J Exp Pathol 79: 293–301. , , .
- 1971a. Submaxillary gland recovery from obstruction. I. Overall changes and electron microscopic alterations of granular duct cells. J Ultrastruct Res 34: 276–287. .
- 1971b. Submaxillary gland recovery from obstruction. II. Electron microscopic alterations of acinar cells. J Ultrastruct Res 34: 288–302. .
- 2007. Salivary gland development. Semin Cell Dev Biol 18: 237–244. .
- 2004. Multiple signaling pathways and a selector protein sequentially regulate Drosophila wing development. Development 131: 285–298. , , , .
- 1998. Growth factor regulation of the amylase promoter in a differentiating salivary acinar cell line. J Cell Physiol 177: 628–635. , , , , .