This article was accepted for inclusion in Developmental Dynamics238#2—Special Focus on FGF/RTK Signaling.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Fibroblast growth factor expression during skeletal fracture healing in mice†
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 3, pages 766–774, March 2009
How to Cite
Schmid, G. J., Kobayashi, C., Sandell, L. J. and Ornitz, D. M. (2009), Fibroblast growth factor expression during skeletal fracture healing in mice. Dev. Dyn., 238: 766–774. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21882
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JAN 2009
- NIH. Grant Number: HD049808
- 2007. Immunolocalization of sibling and RUNX2 proteins during vertical distraction osteogenesis in the human mandible. J Histochem Cytochem 55: 1095–1104. , , , , , .
- 2004. Cartilage canals in the chicken embryo are involved in the process of endochondral bone formation within the epiphyseal growth plate. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 279: 692–700. , , .
- 1992. A reproducible method for producing and quantifying the stages of fracture repair. Lab Anim Sci 42: 369–374. , , .
- 1993. Expression of four growth factors during fracture repair. Int J Dev Biol 37: 573–579. , , .
- 1996. Dual roles for patched in sequestering and transducing Hedgehog. Cell 87: 553–563. , .
- 1991. Localization of bone sialoprotein (BSP) expression to sites of mineralized tissue formation in fetal rat tissues by in situ hybridization. Matrix 11: 133–143. , , , , , .
- 1996. Skeletal overgrowth and deafness in mice lacking fibroblast growth factor receptor 3. Nat Genet 12: 390–397. , , , , .
- 2005. Vascular endothelial growth factor gene-activated matrix (VEGF165-GAM) enhances osteogenesis and angiogenesis in large segmental bone defects. J Bone Miner Res 20: 2028–2035. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. VEGF couples hypertrophic cartilage remodeling, ossification and angiogenesis during endochondral bone formation. Nat Med 5: 623–628. , , , , , .
- 2003. Fracture healing as a post-natal developmental process: molecular, spatial, and temporal aspects of its regulation. J Cell Biochem 88: 873–884. , , , , .
- 2006. Three-dimensional reconstruction of fracture callus morphogenesis. J Histochem Cytochem 54: 1215–1228. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Macrophage-specific gene expression: current paradigms and future challenges. Int J Hematol 76: 6–15. , .
- 2007. An immunohistochemical analysis of the temporal and spatial expression of growth factors FGF 1, 2 and 18, IGF 1 and 2, and TGFbeta1 during distraction osteogenesis. Histol Histopathol 22: 119–128. , , , , .
- 1993. A standardized experimental fracture in the mouse tibia. J Orthop Res 11: 305–312. , , .
- 2007. FGF9 regulates early hypertrophic chondrocyte differentiation and skeletal vascularization in the developing stylopod. Dev Biol 307: 300–313. , , , .
- 2008. Functional evolutionary history of the mouse Fgf gene family. Dev Dyn 237: 18–27. , .
- 2006. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 signaling in the osteo-chondrogenic cell lineage regulates sequential steps of osteoblast maturation. Dev Biol 296: 315–328. , , , .
- 2008. Osterix/Sp7 regulates mesenchymal stem cell mediated endochondral ossification. J Cell Physiol 214: 173–182. , , , , , , .
- 2008. A comprehensive analysis of the dual roles of BMPs in regulating adipogenic and osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal progenitor cells. Stem Cells Dev [Epub ahead of print]. , .
- 2002. Runx2, a multifunctional transcription factor in skeletal development. J Cell Biochem 87: 1–8. .
- 2002. Coordination of chondrogenesis and osteogenesis by fibroblast growth factor 18. Genes Dev 16: 859–869. , , , .
- 2007. FGF18 is required for early chondrocyte proliferation, hypertrophy and vascular invasion of the growth plate. Dev Biol 302: 80–91. , , , .
- 2008. Roles of FGFR2 and twist in human craniosynostosis: insights from genetic mutations in cranial osteoblasts. Front Oral Biol 12: 144–159. , , .
- 2002. Vascular endothelial growth factor stimulates chemotactic migration of primary human osteoblasts. Bone 30: 472–477. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Disruption of the fibroblast growth factor-2 gene results in decreased bone mass and bone formation. J Clin Invest 105: 1085–1093. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Growth of the normal skull vault and its alteration in craniosynostosis: insights from human genetics and experimental studies. J Anat 207: 637–653. , .
- 2003. Transcriptional mechanisms in osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Trends Genet 19: 458–466. , .
- 2001a. Spatial and temporal gene expression for fibroblast growth factor type I receptor (FGFR1) during fracture healing in the rat. Bone 29: 458–466. , , , , , , , .
- 2001b. Spatial and temporal gene expression in chondrogenesis during fracture healing and the effects of basic fibroblast growth factor. J Orthop Res 19: 935–944. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of fibroblast growth factor receptor-3 (FGFR3), signal transducer and activator of transcription-1, and cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 during endochondral ossification: differential role of FGFR3 in skeletal development and fracture repair. Endocrinology 144: 4659–4668. , , , .
- 2007. Effects of a single percutaneous injection of basic fibroblast growth factor on the healing of a closed femoral shaft fracture in the rat. Calcif Tissue Int 81: 132–138. , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of angiogenic factors during distraction osteogenesis. Bone 33: 889–898. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Unique expression pattern of the FGF receptor 3 gene during mouse organogenesis. Dev Biol 155: 423–430. , , , .
- 2005. Molecular mechanisms of endochondral bone development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 328: 658–665. , .
- 2002. Expression of the fibroblast growth factor receptor genes in fracture repair. Clin Orthop Relat Res: 253–263. , , , , , .
- 1999. Cartilage-derived retinoic acid-sensitive protein and type II collagen expression during fracture healing are potential targets for Sox9 regulation. J Bone Miner Res 14: 1891–1901. , , .
- 2008. Bone development and its relation to fracture repair. The role of mesenchymal osteoblasts and surface osteoblasts. Eur Cell Mater 15: 53–76. .
- 2006. A novel mutation in FGFR3 causes camptodactyly, tall stature, and hearing loss (CATSHL) syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 79: 935–941. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. BMP2 activity, although dispensable for bone formation, is required for the initiation of fracture healing. Nat Genet 38: 1424–1429. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The Sry-related gene Sox9 is expressed during chondrogenesis in mouse embryos. Nat Genet 9: 15–20. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Stat1 controls postnatal bone formation by regulating fibroblast growth factor signaling in osteoblasts. J Biol Chem 279: 27743–27752. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Genomic structure, mapping, activity and expression of fibroblast growth factor 17. Mech Dev 83: 165–178. , , , .
- 2003. Conditional inactivation of FGF receptor 2 reveals an essential role for FGF signaling in the regulation of osteoblast function and bone growth. Development 130: 3063–3074. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Skeletal defects in VEGF(120/120) mice reveal multiple roles for VEGF in skeletogenesis. Development 129: 1893–1904. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. The complete mammalian FGF family. J Biol Chem 281: 15694–15700. , , , , , .