Special Issue Research Article
Xhairy2 functions in Xenopus lens development by regulating p27xic1 expression
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Visual Systems
Volume 238, Issue 9, pages 2179–2192, September 2009
How to Cite
Murato, Y. and Hashimoto, C. (2009), Xhairy2 functions in Xenopus lens development by regulating p27xic1 expression. Dev. Dyn., 238: 2179–2192. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21883
- Issue published online: 13 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JAN 2009
- 2005. Tissues and signals involved in the induction of placodal Six1 expression in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 288: 40–59. , .
- 2000. Pax6 activity in the lens primordium is required for lens formation and for correct placement of a single retina in the eye. Genes Dev 14: 2701–2711. , , , .
- 2006. Lens specification is the ground state of all sensory placodes, from which FGF promotes olfactory identity. Dev Cell 11: 505–517. , , , .
- 1996. X-MyT1, a Xenopus C2HC-type zinc finger protein with a regulatory function in neuronal differentiation. Cell 87: 1191–1202. , , , , , , .
- 2008. CDK inhibitors: cell cycle regulators and beyond. Dev Cell 14: 159–169. , , .
- 1998. XBF-1, a winged helix transcription factor with dual activity, has a role in positioning neurogenesis in Xenopus competent ectoderm. Development 125: 4889–4900. , , .
- 1995. Primary neurogenesis in Xenopus embryos regulated by a homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene Delta. Nature 375: 761–766. , , , , .
- 1997. FGF-8 is associated with anteroposterior patterning and limb regeneration in Xenopus. Dev Biol 192: 455–466. , .
- 2004. Identification of Xenopus cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors, p16Xic2 and p17Xic3. Gene 342: 41–47. , , , .
- 2001. Vertebrate hairy and Enhancer of split related proteins: transcriptional repressors regulating cellular differentiation and embryonic patterning. Oncogene 20: 8342–8357. , .
- 1992. Cell migration and induction in the development of the surface ectodermal pattern of Xenopus laevis tadpole. Dev Growth Differ 34: 51–59. , .
- 1998. The function of hairy-related bHLH repressor proteins in cell fate decisions. Bioessays 20: 298–306. , .
- 2000. Evolutionarily conserved and divergent expression of members of the FGF receptor family among vertebrate embryos, as revealed by FGFR expression patterns in Xenopus. Dev Genes Evol 210: 345–357. , , , , , .
- 1992. Embryonic lens induction: shedding light on vertebrate tissue determination. Trends Genet 8: 349–355. .
- 1996. New perspective on embryonic lens induction. Semin Cell Dev Biol 7: 149–155. .
- 1988. The heritage of experimental embryology. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 2000. Distinct effects of XBF-1 in regulating the cell cycle inhibitor p27(XIC1) and imparting a neural fate. Development 127: 1303–1314. , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol 36: 685–695. .
- 1995. Disruption of BMP signals in embryonic Xenopus ectoderm leads to direct neural induction. Genes Dev 9: 2923–2935. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Xenopus Pax-2/5/8 orthologues: novel insights into Pax gene evolution and identification of Pax-8 as the earliest marker for otic and pronephric cell lineages. Dev Genet 24: 208–219. , .
- 1987. Inductive interactions in the spatial and temporal restriction of lens-forming potential in embryonic ectoderm of Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 124: 200–214. , .
- 1990. Early tissue interactions leading to embryonic lens formation in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 141: 149–163. , .
- 2003. Coordination of BMP-3b and cerberus is required for head formation of Xenopus embryos. Dev Biol 260: 138–157. , , , , , .
- 1997. Xenopus Pax-6 and retinal development. J Neurobiol 32: 45–61. , .
- 1999. Xpitx-1: a homeobox gene expressed during pituitary and cement gland formation of Xenopus embryos. Mech Dev 88: 249–252. , .
- 1955. Amphibians. In: WillierBH, WeissPA, HamburgerV, editors. Analysis of development. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders. p 230–296. , .
- 2001. Distinct roles of maf genes during Xenopus lens development. Mech Dev 101: 155–166. , .
- 1988. Features of embryonic induction. Development 104: 341–359. , .
- 2008. Roles of Hes genes in neural development. Dev Growth Differ 50(Suppl 1): S97–103. , , .
- 1999. A novel fork head gene mediates early steps during Xenopus lens formation. Development 126: 5107–5116. , , .
- 2008. Shedding light on developmental gene regulation through the lens. Dev Growth Differ 50(Suppl 1): S57–69. .
- 2005. Multiple requirements for Hes 1 during early eye formation. Dev Biol 284: 464–478. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Fgf8 and Fgf3 are required for zebrafish ear placode induction, maintenance and inner ear patterning. Mech Dev 119: 91–108. , .
- 1997. A single morphogenetic field gives rise to two retina primordia under the influence of the prechordal plate. Development 124: 603–615. , , , , .
- 2003. Loss of eyes in zebrafish caused by mutation of chokh/rx3. EMBO Rep 4: 894–899. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Distinct roles for Distal-less genes Dlx3 and Dlx5 in regulating ectodermal development in Xenopus. Mol Reprod Dev 60: 331–337. , , .
- 1996. Identification of neurogenin, a vertebrate neuronal determination gene. Cell 87: 43–52. , , .
- 1997. The Rx homeobox gene is essential for vertebrate eye development. Nature 387: 603–607. , , , .
- 2005. Severe defects in proliferation and differentiation of lens cells in Foxe3 null mice. Mol Cell Biol 25: 8854–8863. , , , , , .
- 2007. Foxe view of lens development and disease. Development 134: 1455–1463. , .
- 1998. A critical role for the optic vesicle in lens development; a reinvestigation of free lens formation in Cynops pyrrhogaster. Differentiation 63: 247–252. , , , , , .
- 2006. Two modes of action by which Xenopus hairy2b establishes tissue demarcation in the Spemann-Mangold organizer. Int J Dev Biol 50: 463–471. , , , , .
- 2007. Two alloalleles of Xenopus laevis hairy2 gene: evolution of duplicated gene function from a developmental perspective. Dev Genes Evol 217: 665–673. , , , .
- 2007. Xenopus hairy2 functions in neural crest formation by maintaining cells in a mitotic and undifferentiated state. Dev Dyn 236: 1475–1483. , .
- 1967. Normal table of Xenopus laevis. Daudin. Amsterdam: North-Holland Pub Co. , .
- 2000. The development of Xenopus tropicalis transgenic lines and their use in studying lens developmental timing in living embryos. Development 127: 1789–1797. , , .
- 1998. Induction of lens differentiation by activation of a bZIP transcription factor, L-Maf. Science 280: 115–118. , .
- 2000. Sequential activation of transcription factors in lens induction. Dev Growth Differ 42: 437–448. , .
- 2008. Convergence of a head-field selector Otx2 and Notch signaling: a mechanism for lens specification. Development 135: 249–258. , , .
- 1999. p27Xic1, a Cdk inhibitor, promotes the determination of glial cells in Xenopus retina. Cell 99: 499–510. , , , , .
- 2000. Xenopus Six1 gene is expressed in neurogenic cranial placodes and maintained in the differentiating lateral lines. Mech Dev 96: 253–257. , .
- 1993. Xenopus Distal-less related homeobox genes are expressed in the developing forebrain and are induced by planar signals. Development 117: 961–975. , .
- 1999. The head inducer Cerberus is a multifunctional antagonist of Nodal, BMP and Wnt signals. Nature 397: 707–710. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Roles of Maf family proteins in lens development. Dev Dyn 229: 440–448. , .
- 2008. Notch signaling regulates growth and differentiation in the mammalian lens. Dev Biol 321: 111–122. , , , , , .
- 2008. Control of the reversibility of cellular quiescence by the transcriptional repressor HES1. Science 321: 1095–1100. , , .
- 2001. Requirement of FoxD3-class signaling for neural crest determination in Xenopus. Development 128: 2525–2536. , , .
- 2006. Induction and specification of cranial placodes. Dev Biol 294: 303–351. .
- 2004. Molecular anatomy of placode development in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 271: 439–466. , .
- 2000. Development of neurogenic placodes in Xenopus laevis. J Comp Neurol 418: 121–146. , .
- 1991. Changes in neural and lens competence in Xenopus ectoderm: evidence for an autonomous developmental timer. Development 112: 177–188. , .
- 2006. Zebrafish foxe3: roles in ocular lens morphogenesis through interaction with pitx3. Mech Dev 123: 761–782. , , , , , , .
- 1996. A sticky problem: the Xenopus cement gland as a paradigm for anteroposterior patterning. Dev Dyn 205: 265–280. , .
- 2006. Characterization and function of the bHLH-O protein XHes2: insight into the mechanisms controlling retinal cell fate decision. Development 133: 4097–4108. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Early development of the cranial sensory nervous system: from a common field to individual placodes. Dev Biol 276: 1–15. .
- 1995. Cloning and characterization of the Xenopus cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27XIC1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 10187–10191. , , , .
- 1962. Formation of the independent lens in Japanese amphibians. Embryologia 7: 127–149. .
- 1996. Mammalian hairy and Enhancer of split homolog 1 regulates differentiation of retinal neurons and is essential for eye morphogenesis. Neuron 16: 723–734. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression pattern of a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor Xhairy2b during Xenopus laevis development. Dev Genes Evol 213: 407–411. , , .
- 2003. A single cdk inhibitor, p27Xic1, functions beyond cell cycle regulation to promote muscle differentiation in Xenopus. Development 130: 71–83. , .
- 2003. The cdk inhibitor p27Xic1 is required for differentiation of primary neurones in Xenopus. Development 130: 85–92. , , .
- 2005. Xenopus hairy2b specifies anterior prechordal mesoderm identity within Spemann's organizer. Dev Dyn 234: 102–113. , , .
- 2000. Cloning and expression of xSix3, the Xenopus homologue of murine Six3. Mech Dev 91: 327–330. , , , .
- 2004. Eya1 and Six1 are essential for early steps of sensory neurogenesis in mammalian cranial placodes. Development 131: 5561–5572. , , , .
- 1999. Giant eyes in Xenopus laevis by overexpression of XOptx2. Cell 98: 341–352. , , , , .
- 1998. Gene activation during early stages of lens induction in Xenopus. Development 125: 3509–3519. , ,