Dynamic organization and plasticity of sponge bodies
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 4, pages 918–930, April 2009
How to Cite
Snee, M. J. and Macdonald, P. M. (2009), Dynamic organization and plasticity of sponge bodies. Dev. Dyn., 238: 918–930. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21914
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 FEB 2009
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: GM42612, GM54409
- 2008. Stress granules: the Tao of RNA triage. Trends Biochem Sci 33: 141–150. , .
- 2005. A role for eIF4E and eIF4E-transporter in targeting mRNPs to mammalian processing bodies. RNA 11: 717–727. , , , , , .
- 1989. Drosophila: a laboratory handbook. 434 p. .
- 2006. Staufen- and FMRP-containing neuronal RNPs are structurally and functionally related to somatic P bodies. Neuron 52: 997–1009. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function. Cell 116: 281–297. .
- 1998. RNA localization in development. Ann Rev Biochem 67: 335–394. , , .
- 1997. A mouse cytoplasmic exoribonuclease (mXRN1p) with preference for G4 tetraplex substrates. J Cell Biol 136: 761–773. , , , , .
- 1988. The role of localization of bicoid RNA in organizing the anterior pattern of the Drosophila embryo. EMBO J 7: 1749–1756. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Relief of microRNA-mediated translational repression in human cells subjected to stress. Cell 125: 1111–1124. , , , , .
- 2008. Motility screen identifies Drosophila IGF-II mRNA-binding protein: zipcode-binding protein acting in oogenesis and synaptogenesis. PLoS Genet 4: e36. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Movement of eukaryotic mRNAs between polysomes and cytoplasmic processing bodies. Science 310: 486–489. , , .
- 2003. Orb and a long poly(A) tail are required for efficient oskar translation at the posterior pole of the Drosophila oocyte. Development 130: 835–843. , .
- 2002. Kinesin I-dependent cortical exclusion restricts pole plasm to the oocyte posterior. Nat Cell Biol 4: 592–598. , , , .
- 1999. The Drosophila CPEB homolog, orb, is required for oskar protein expression in oocytes. Dev Biol 215: 91–106. , , .
- 2005. RNA-binding proteins in early development. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol 40: 21–73. , , , .
- 2004. Cytoplasmic foci are sites of mRNA decay in human cells. J Cell Biol 165: 31–40. , , .
- 2006. CAR-1 and trailer hitch: driving mRNP granule function at the ER? J Cell Biol 173: 159–163. , .
- 2007. Drosophila Squid/hnRNP helps Dynein switch from a gurken mRNA transport motor to an ultrastructural static anchor in sponge bodies. Dev Cell 13: 523–538. , , , , .
- 2007. P-body formation is a consequence, not the cause, of RNA-mediated gene silencing. Mol Cell Biol 27: 3970–3981. , , , .
- 2002. A phosphorylated cytoplasmic autoantigen, GW182, associates with a unique population of human mRNAs within novel cytoplasmic speckles. Mol Biol Cell 13: 1338–1351. , , , , , .
- 2003. The GW182 protein colocalizes with mRNA degradation associated proteins hDcp1 and hLSm4 in cytoplasmic GW bodies. RNA 9: 1171–1173. , , , , , .
- 2005. A role for the eIF4E-binding protein 4E-T in P-body formation and mRNA decay. J Cell Biol 170: 913–924. , , , , , .
- 2003. Bruno regulates gurken during Drosophilia oogenesis. Mech Dev 120: 289–297. , .
- 2003. Maelstrom, a Drosophila spindle-class gene, encodes a protein that colocalizes with Vasa and RDE1/AGO1 homolog, Aubergine, in nuage. Development 130: 859–871. , , , .
- 2006. Imp associates with squid and Hrp48 and contributes to localized expression of gurken in the oocyte. Mol Cell Biol 26: 9508–9516. , .
- 2004. Hrb27C, Sqd and Otu cooperatively regulate gurken RNA localization and mediate nurse cell chromosome dispersion in Drosophila oogenesis. Development 131: 1949–1958. , , .
- 2004. Splicing of oskar RNA in the nucleus is coupled to its cytoplasmic localization. Nature 428: 959–963. , .
- 1999. Single and double FISH protocols for Drosophila. Methods Mol Biol 122: 93–101. , .
- 2004. The Drosophila hnRNPA/B homolog Hrp48, is specifically required for a distinct step in osk mRNA localization. Dev Cell 6: 625–635. , , , , .
- 2002. The human LSm1–7 proteins colocalize with the mRNA-degrading enzymes Dcp1/2 and Xrnl in distinct cytoplasmic foci. RNA 8: 1489–1501. , , , .
- 2001. Translational regulation and RNA localization in Drosophila oocytes and embryos. Annu Rev Genet 35: 365–406. , .
- 1999. RNA-binding proteins TIA-1 and TIAR link the phosphorylation of eIF-2 alpha to the assembly of mammalian stress granules. J Cell Biol 147: 1431–1442. , , , , .
- 2005. Stress granules and processing bodies are dynamically linked sites of mRNP remodeling. J Cell Biol 169: 871–884. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Initial organization of the Drosophila dorsoventral axis depends on an RNA-binding protein encoded by the squid gene. Genes Dev 7: 948–960. .
- 2004. Flytrap, a database documenting a GFP protein-trap insertion screen in Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res 32: D418–20. , , , , , .
- 1991. oskar mRNA is localized to the posterior pole of the Drosophila ooctye. Cell 66: 23–35. , , .
- 2005. Putting RNAs in the right place at the right time: RNA localization in the frog oocyte. Biol Cell 97: 19–33. , , .
- 1970. Ovarian development in Drosophila melanogaster. New York: Academic Press. .
- 2004. Three new Drosophila markers of intracellular membranes. BioTechniques 36: 784–788, 790. , , , , , .
- 2006. Drosophila decapping protein 1, dDcp1, is a component of the oskar mRNP complex and directs its posterior localization in the oocyte. Dev Cell 10: 601–613. , , , .
- 2002. Identification of a human decapping complex associated with hUpf proteins in nonsense-mediated decay. Mol Cell Biol 22: 8114–8121. .
- 2001. BSF binds specifically to the bicoid mRNA 3' untranslated region and contributes to stabilization of bicoid mRNA. Mol Cell Biol 21: 3462–3471. , , , , .
- 2002. Ypsilon Schachtel, a Drosophila Y-box protein, acts antagonistically to Orb in the oskar localization and translation pathway. Development 129: 197–209. , , .
- 2003. A role for Drosophila LKB1 in anterior-posterior axis formation and epithelial polarity. Nature 421: 379–384. , .
- 2003. The identification of novel genes required for Drosophila anteroposterior axis formation in a germline clone screen using GFP-Staufen. Development 130: 4201–4215. , , , .
- 2007. Direct observation of regulated ribonucleoprotein transport across the nurse cell/oocyte boundary. Mol Biol Cell 18: 2254–2263. , , , .
- 2005. From birth to death: the complex lives of eukaryotic mRNAs. Science 309: 1514–1518. .
- 2001. A protein trap strategy to detect GFP-tagged proteins expressed from their endogenous loci in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 15050–15055. , , , .
- 2006. A repeated IMP-binding motif controls oskar mRNA translation and anchoring independently of Drosophila melanogaster IMP. J Cell Biol 172: 577–588. , , , .
- 2001. Me31B silences translation of oocyte-localizing RNAs through the formation of cytoplasmic RNP complex during Drosophila oogenesis. Development 128: 3233–3242. , , , .
- 2004. Drosophila Cup Is an eIF4E binding protein that associates with bruno and regulates oskar mRNA Translation in oogenesis. Dev Cell 6: 69–78. , , .
- 2004. Drosophila Cup is an elF4E-binding protein that functions in Smaug-mediated translational repression. EMBO J 23: 150–159. , , .
- 2000. The biphasic expression of IMP/Vg1-RBP is conserved between vertebrates and Drosophila. Mech Dev 96: 129–132. , , , .
- 2005. Squid is required for efficent posterior localization of oskar mRNA during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Genes Evol 215: 340–349. , , , , .
- 1999. Specific isoforms of squid, a Drosophila hnRNP, perform distinct roles in Gurken localization during oogenesis. Genes Dev 13: 864–876. , , , .
- 1988. Premature translation of oskar in oocytes lacking the RNA-binding protein bicaudal-C. Mol Cell Biol 18: 4855–4862. , , , , , .
- 2006. Gawky is a component of cytoplasmic mRNA processing bodies required for early Drosophila development. J Cell Biol 174: 349–358. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Miranda mediates asymmetric protein and RNA localization in the developing nervous system. Genes Dev 12: 1847–1857. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Decapping and decay of messenger RNA occur in cytoplasmic processing bodies. Science 300: 805–808. , .
- 2004. Live imaging of nuage and polar granules: evidence against a precursor-product relationship and a novel role for Oskar in stabilization of polar granule components. J Cell Sci 117: 2109–2120. , .
- 2009. Bicaudal C and Trailer hitch have similar roles in gurken mRNA localization and cytoskeletal organization. Dev Biol (in press) doi:10.1016/j.ydbio.2009.02.003. , .
- 1996. mRNA 5′ Cap-binding protein elF4E and control of cell growth. In: HersheyJWB, MathewsMB, SonenbergN, editors. Translational control. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 245–269. .
- 1993. Developmental genetics of oogenesis. In: BateM, AriasAM, editors. The development of Drosophila melanogaster (1). Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 1–70. .
- 2006. CAR-1, a protein that localizes with the mRNA decapping component DCAP-1, is required for cytokinesis and ER organization in Caenorhabditis elegans embryos. Mol Biol Cell 17: 336–344. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. staufen, a gene required to localize maternal RNAs in the Drosophila egg. Cell 66: 51–63. , , .
- 1989. Multiple steps in the localization of bicoid RNA to the anterior pole of the Drosophila oocyte. Development 107: 13–19. , , , , .
- 1995. The intracellular localization of messenger RNAs. Cell 81: 161–170. .
- 2002. VASA localization requires the SPRY-domain and SOCS-box containing protein, GUSTAVUS. Dev Cell 3: 865–876. , , .
- 1989. A non radioactive in situ hybridization method for the localization of specific RNAs in Drosophila embryos reveals a translational control of the segementation gene hunchback. Chromosoma 98: 81–85. , .
- 2005. Processing bodies require RNA for assembly and contain nontranslating mRNAs. RNA 11: 371–382. , , , , .
- 1998. In vivo analyses of cytoplasmic transport and cytoskeletal organization during Drosophila oogenesis: characterization of a multi-step anterior localization pathway. Development 125: 3655–3666. , .
- 2002. Human Dcp2: a catalytically active mRNA decapping enzyme located in specific cytoplasmic structures. EMBO J 21: 6915–6924. , , , , , .
- Barentsz is essential for the posterior localization of oskar mRNA and colocalizes with it to the posterior pole. J Cell Biol 154: 511–523. , , , , .
- 2002. Oskar anchoring restricts pole plasm formation to the posterior of the Drosophila oocyte. Development 129: 3705–3714. , .
- 1994. Implications for bcd mRNA localization from spatial distribution of exu protein in Drosophila oogenesis. Nature 369: 400–403. , .
- 1997. Translational repressor bruno plays multiple roles in development and is widely conserved. Genes Dev 11: 2510–2521. , , , , .
- 2000. Isolation of a ribonucleoprotein complex involved in mRNA localization in Drosophila oocytes. J Cell Biol 148: 427–440. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Cup is an eIF4E binding protein required for both the translational repression of oskar and the recruitment of Barentsz. J Cell Biol 163: 1197–1204. , , , .
- 2005. Efficient protein trafficking requires trailer hitch, a component of a ribonucleoprotein complex localized to the ER in Drosophila. Dev Cell 9: 675–685. , , .
- 1999. Transcribed genes are localized according to chromosomal position within polarized Drosophila embryonic nuclei. Curr Biol 9: 1263–1266. , , , .
- 1997. A sponge-like structure involved in the association and transport of maternal products during Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol 139: 817–829. , , .
- 2004. Genetic interactions of Drosophila melanogaster arrest reveal roles for translational repressor Bruno in accumulation of Gurken and activity of Delta. Genetics 168: 1433–1442. , .
- 2004. GW182 is critical for the stability of GW bodies expressed during the cell cycle and cell proliferation. J Cell Sci 117: 5567–5578. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Hrp48, a Drosophila hnRNPA/B homolog, binds and regulates translation of oskar mRNA. Dev Cell 6: 637–648. , , , , .
- 2008. In vivo imaging of oskar mRNA transport reveals the mechanism of posterior localization. Cell 134: 843–853. , , , , , , .