Special Issue Research Article
Pitx3 controls multiple aspects of lens development
Article first published online: 30 MAR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Visual Systems
Volume 238, Issue 9, pages 2193–2201, September 2009
How to Cite
Medina-Martinez, O., Shah, R. and Jamrich, M. (2009), Pitx3 controls multiple aspects of lens development. Dev. Dyn., 238: 2193–2201. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21924
- Issue published online: 13 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 30 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2009
- NIH/NEI. Grant Numbers: EY12505, EY12163, T32 EY07102
- 2000. A forkhead gene, FoxE3, is essential for lens epithelial proliferation and closure of the lens vesicle. Genes Dev 14: 245–254. , , , , , .
- 2007. Foxe3 is required for morphogenesis and differentiation of the anterior segment of the eye and is sensitive to Pax6 gene dosage. Dev Biol 302: 218–229. , , , .
- 2000. Forkhead Foxe3 maps to the dysgenetic lens locus and is critical in lens development and differentiation. Genesis 27: 81–93. , , .
- 2008. Dual roles for Prox1 in the regulation of the chicken betaB1-crystallin promoter. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49: 1542–1552. , , , , .
- 2001. Early eye development in vertebrates. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 17: 255–296. , .
- 2004. Mafs, Prox1, and Pax6 can regulate chicken betaB1-crystallin gene expression. J Biol Chem 279: 11088–11095. , , , , .
- 2007. Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms of gene regulation during lens development. Prog Retin Eye Res 26: 555–597. , .
- 2006. Lens induction in vertebrates: variations on a conserved theme of signaling events. Semin Cell Dev Biol 17: 676–685. , , .
- 2003. Regulation of proliferation, cell fate specification and differentiation by the homeodomain proteins Prox1, Six3, and Chx10 in the developing retina. Cell Cycle 2: 350–357. .
- 2003. Prox1 function controls progenitor cell proliferation and horizontal cell genesis in the mammalian retina. Nat Genet 34: 53–58. , , , .
- 1994. Uchida rat (rSey): a new mutant rat with craniofacial abnormalities resembling those of the mouse Sey mutant. Differentiation 57: 31–38. , , , .
- 1994. PAX6 gene dosage effect in a family with congenital cataracts, aniridia, anophthalmia and central nervous system defects. Nat Genet 7: 463–471. , , , , , .
- 1998. Aphakia (ak), a mouse mutation affecting early eye development: fine mapping, consideration of candidate genes and altered Pax6 and Six3 gene expression pattern. Dev Genet 23: 299–316. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Mutations at the PAX6 locus are found in heterogeneous anterior segment malformations including Peters' anomaly. Nat Genet 6: 168–173. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mitosis-specific phosphorylation of histone H3 initiates primarily within pericentromeric heterochromatin during G2 and spreads in an ordered fashion coincident with mitotic chromosome condensation. Chromosoma 106: 348–360. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Mouse small eye results from mutations in a paired-like homeobox- containing gene. Nature 354: 522–525. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. The human PAX6 gene is mutated in two patients with aniridia. Nat Genet 1: 328–332. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Persistent FoxE3 expression blocks cytoskeletal remodeling and organelle degradation during lens fiber differentiation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49: 4269–4277. , , .
- 1981. [Action of mutant genes on crystallin synthesis in the developing mouse lens. III. The aphakia gene]. Ontogenez 12: 589–595. , .
- 1999. Lens development. Eye 13(pt 3b): 425–437. , , , , .
- 2007. Foxe view of lens development and disease. Development 134: 1455–1463. , .
- 2005. Severe defects in proliferation and differentiation of lens cells in Foxe3 null mice. Mol Cell Biol 25: 8854–8863. , , , , , .
- 2006. Caspase-dependent secondary lens fiber cell disintegration in alphaA-/alphaB-crystallin double-knockout mice. Development 133: 813–821. , .
- 2002. Foxe3 haploinsufficiency in mice: a model for Peters' anomaly. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43: 1350–1357. , , , , , .
- 1998. Gene sharing in lens and cornea: facts and implications. Prog Retin Eye Res 17: 145–174. .
- 2001. A double-deletion mutation in the Pitx3 gene causes arrested lens development in aphakia mice. Genomics 72: 61–72. , , , , .
- 1996. Differential expression of alpha A- and alpha B-crystallin during murine ocular development. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 37: 2276–2284. , .
- 1997. Isolation of a new homeobox gene belonging to the Pitx/Rieg family: expression during lens development and mapping to the aphakia region on mouse chromosome 19. Hum Mol Genet 6: 2109–2116. , , .
- 1998. A novel homeobox gene PITX3 is mutated in families with autosomal- dominant cataracts and ASMD. Nat Genet 19: 167–170. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Deletion in the promoter region and altered expression of Pitx3 homeobox gene in aphakia mice. Hum Mol Genet 9: 1575–1585. , , , , .
- 2001. Mutations in the human forkhead transcription factor FOXE3 associated with anterior segment ocular dysgenesis and cataracts. Hum Mol Genet 10: 231–236. , , , , .
- 2006. Zebrafish foxe3: roles in ocular lens morphogenesis through interaction with pitx3. Mech Dev 123: 761–782. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Regulation and function of foxe3 during early zebrafish development. Genesis 46: 177–183. , , , , , .
- 1991. Positional cloning and characterization of a paired box- and homeobox- containing gene from the aniridia region. Cell 67: 1059–1074. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Homozygous nonsense mutation in the FOXE3 gene as a cause of congenital primary aphakia in humans. Am J Hum Genet 79: 358–364. , , , , , , , .
- 1968. Aphakia, a new mutation in the mouse. J Hered 59: 147–150. , .
- 1999. Phosphorylation of histone H3 is required for proper chromosome condensation and segregation. Cell 97: 99–109. , , , , .
- 1999. Prox1 function is crucial for mouse lens-fibre elongation. Nat Genet 21: 318–322. , , , .
- 1992. Whole mount in situ hybridization of vertebrate embryos. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p 75–83 .
- 1987. Recruitment of enzymes as lens structural proteins. Science 236: 1554–1556. , .
- 2005. Regulation of ocular lens development by Smad-interacting protein 1 involving Foxe3 activation. Development 132: 4437–4448. , , , .
- 1975. Immunofluorescent studies on aphakia, a mutation of a gene involved in the control of lens differentiation in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 44: 306–312. .
- 1975. Malorientation of mitotic figures in the early lens rudiment of aphakia mouse embryos. Anat Rec 182: 345–354. , .