Special Issue Research Article
Restriction of ectopic eye formation by Drosophila teashirt and tiptop to the developing antenna
Version of Record online: 3 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Visual Systems
Volume 238, Issue 9, pages 2202–2210, September 2009
How to Cite
Datta, R. R., Lurye, J. M. and Kumar, J. P. (2009), Restriction of ectopic eye formation by Drosophila teashirt and tiptop to the developing antenna. Dev. Dyn., 238: 2202–2210. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21927
- Issue online: 13 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 APR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 FEB 2009
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: 1R01 EY014863
- 2005. Restricted teashirt expression confers eye-specific responsiveness to Dpp and Wg signals during eye specification in Drosophila. Development 132: 5011–5020. , .
- 2002. Combinatorial control of Drosophila eye development by eyeless, homothorax, and teashirt. Genes Dev 16: 2415–2427. , , , , .
- 2009. Zinc-finger paralogues tsh and tio are functionally equivalent during imaginal development in Drosophila and maintain their expression levels through auto- and cross-negative feedback loops. Dev Dyn 238: 19–28. , , .
- 1993. The eyes absent gene: genetic control of cell survival and differentiation in the developing Drosophila eye. Cell 72: 379–395. , , .
- 1997. The Drosophila eyes absent gene directs ectopic eye formation in a pathway conserved between flies and vertebrates. Development 124: 4819–4826. , , , .
- 2008. Drosophila nemo promotes eye specification directed by the retinal determination gene network. Genetics 180: 283–299. , .
- 2000. Vertebrate orthologues of the Drosophila region-specific patterning gene teashirt. Mech Dev 91: 445–448. , , , , , .
- 2005. Expression patterns of the three Teashirt-related genes define specific boundaries in the developing and postnatal mouse forebrain. J Comp Neurol 486: 76–88. , , , .
- 1995. Role of the morphogenetic furrow in establishing polarity in the Drosophila eye. Development 121: 4085–4094. , .
- 1994. The Drosophila sine oculis locus encodes a homeodomain-containing protein required for the development of the entire visual system. Neuron 12: 977–996. , , , , , .
- 2007. distal antenna and distal antenna-related function in the retinal determination network during eye development in Drosophila. Dev Biol 306: 685–702. , , .
- 1999. twin of eyeless, a second Pax-6 gene of Drosophila, acts upstream of eyeless in the control of eye development. Mol Cell 3: 297–307. , , , , , .
- 1991. The gene teashirt is required for the development of Drosophila embryonic trunk segments and encodes a protein with widely spaced zinc finger motifs. Cell 64: 63–79. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Induction of ectopic eyes by target expression of the eyeless gene in Drosophila. Science 267: 1788–1792. , , .
- 2001. Mammalian homologues of the Drosophila eye specification genes. Semin Cell Dev Biol 12: 475–484. .
- 1986. Development of the eye-antenna imaginal disc and morphogenesis of the adult head in Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Zool 237: 293–308. , .
- 1995. Growth and differentiation in the Drosophila eye coordinated by hedgehog. Nature 373: 709–711. , , , .
- 2003. Two Pax genes, eye gone and eyeless, act cooperatively in promoting Drosophila eye development. Development 130: 2939–2951. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Lune/eye gone, a Pax-like protein, uses a partial paired domain and a homeodomain for DNA recognition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 13720–13725. , , , , .
- 2008. The molecular circuitry governing retinal determination. Biochim Biophys Acta [Epub ahead of print]. .
- 2005. A critical role of teashirt for patterning the ventral epidermis is masked by ectopic expression of tiptop, a paralog of teashirt in Drosophila. Dev Biol 283: 446–458. , , , , .
- 1995. Wingless and patched are negative regulators of the morphogenetic furrow and can affect tissue polarity in the developing Drosophila compound eye. Development 121: 2279–2289. , .
- 1994. dachshund encodes a nuclear protein required for normal eye and leg development in Drosophila. Development 120: 3473–3486. , , .
- 1997. The Homothorax homeoprotein activates the nuclear localization of another homeoprotein, extradenticle, and suppresses eye development in Drosophila. Genes Dev 12: 435–446. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. cAMP-dependent protein kinase and hedgehog act antagonistically in regulating decapentaplegic transcription in Drosophila imaginal discs. Cell 80: 543–552. , .
- 1998. Targeted expression of teashirt induces ectopic eyes in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 15508–15512. , .
- 1994. Homology of the eyeless gene of Drosophila to the Small eye gene in mice and Aniridia in humans [see comments]. Science 265: 785–789. , , , .
- 1992. The role of the teashirt gene in trunk segmental identity in Drosophila. Development 115: 1017–1033. , , .
- 2000. The Drosophila homeobox gene optix is capable of inducing ectopic eyes by an eyeless-independent mechanism. Development 127: 1879–1886. , .
- 1994. sine oculis is a homeobox gene required for Drosophila visual system development. Genetics 138: 1137–1150. , .
- 1997. Ectopic eye development in Drosophila induced by directed dachshund expression. Development 124: 45–52. , .
- 2008. Do teashirt family genes specify trunk identity? Insights from the single tiptop/teashirt homolog of Tribolium castaneum. Dev Genes Evol 218: 141–152. , , , , .
- 2002. Eye suppression, a novel function of teashirt, requires Wingless signaling. Development 129: 4271–4280. , , .
- 2004. Dorso-ventral asymmetric functions of teashirt in Drosophila eye development depend on spatial cues provided by early DV patterning genes. Mech Dev 121: 365–370. , , , .
- 1995. Regulation of furrow progression in the Drosophila eye by cAMP-dependent protein kinase A. Nature 373: 705–709. , , .
- 1999. A conserved blueprint for the eye? Bioessays 21: 843–850. .
- 2000. Vertebrate eye development as modeled in Drosophila. Hum Mol Genet 9: 917–925. , .
- 2007. Sine oculis, a member of the SIX family of transcription factors, directs eye formation. Dev Biol 303: 756–771. , , .
- 2008. Differential requirements for the Pax6(5a) genes eyegone and twin of eyegone during eye development in Drosophila. Dev Biol 315: 535–551. , , , , , , , , , , .