Diet-induced obesity disrupts ductal development in the mammary glands of nonpregnant mice
Article first published online: 21 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 5, pages 1092–1099, May 2009
How to Cite
Kamikawa, A., Ichii, O., Yamaji, D., Imao, T., Suzuki, C., Okamatsu-Ogura, Y., Terao, A., Kon, Y. and Kimura, K. (2009), Diet-induced obesity disrupts ductal development in the mammary glands of nonpregnant mice. Dev. Dyn., 238: 1092–1099. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21947
- Issue published online: 21 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 21 APR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 MAR 2009
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
- Kao Research Council for the Study of Healthcare Science
- 2003. Effect of leptin in proliferating and differentiated HC11 mouse mammary cells. Regul Pept 113: 101–107. , , .
- 2001. Targeted disruption of the IGF-I receptor gene decreases cellular proliferation in mammary terminal end buds. Endocrinology 142: 4937–4945. , .
- 2007. Leptin represses matrix metalloproteinase-1 gene expression in LX2 human hepatic stellate cells. J Hepatol 46: 124–133. , , .
- 1996. Correction of the sterility defect in homozygous obese female mice by treatment with the human recombinant leptin. Nat Genet 12: 318–320. , , .
- 2006. Physiologic concentrations of leptin increase collagen production by non-immortalized human hepatic stellate cells. Metabolism 55: 1317–1322. , , , , .
- 2002. Leptin mediates a proliferative response in human MCF7 breast cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293: 622–628. , , , , , .
- 2005. Myoepithelial cells in the control of mammary development and tumorigenesis: data from genetically modified mice. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 10: 211–219. , , , , , .
- 2005. Diet-induced obesity impairs mammary development and lactogenesis in murine mammary gland. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288: E1179–E1187. , , , , .
- 2005. Key stages in mammary gland development: the mammary end bud as a motile organ. Breast Cancer Res 7: 245–251. , .
- 1999. Regulation of mammary gland growth and morphogenesis by the mammary fat pad: a species comparison. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 4: 53–68. , , .
- 2002. Leptin-a growth factor in normal and malignant breast cells and for normal mammary gland development. J Natl Cancer Inst 94: 1704–1711. , , , .
- 2006. Macrophages promote collagen fibrillogenesis around terminal end buds of the developing mammary gland. Dev Dyn 235: 3222–3229. , , , , .
- 2004. Maternal obesity is negatively associated with breastfeeding success among Hispanic but not Black women. J Nutr 134: 1746–1753. , , .
- 2007. Molecular links between mammary gland development and breast cancer. Cell Mol Life Sci 64: 3159–3184. , , , .
- 1996. Two distinct phases of apoptosis in mammary gland involution: proteinase-independent and -dependent pathways. Development 122: 181–193. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Leptin requirement for conception, implantation, and gestation in the mouse. Endocrinology 142: 5198–5202. , , , , , .
- 2006. Paracrine signaling through the epithelial estrogen receptor alpha is required for proliferation and morphogenesis in the mammary gland. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 2196–2201. , , , .
- 2007. Leptin enhances STAT-3 phosphorylation in HC11 cell line: effect on cell differentiation and cell viability. Mol Cell Endocrinol 263: 149–155. , , , , , .
- 2001. Tumour-stromal interactions transforming growth factor-β isoforms and hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor in mammary gland ductal morphogenesis. Breast Cancer Res 3: 230–237 .
- 2001. Obesity may impair lactogenesis II. J Nutr 131: 3009S–3011S. , , .
- 2000. An atlas of mouse mammary gland development. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 5: 227–241. , , , .
- 2006. The endocrine function of adipose tissue: an update. Clin Endocrinol 64: 355–365. , , .
- 1999. Insulin-like growth factor I is essential for terminal end bud formation and ductal morphogenesis during mammary development. Endocrinology 140: 5075–5081. , .
- 2000. Stimulation of DNA synthesis and cell proliferation of human mammary myoepithelial-like cells by hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor depends on heparan sulfate proteoglycans and sustained phosphorylation of mitogen-activated protein kinases p42/44. J Biol Chem 275: 17094–17099. , , , , .
- 2002. Evidence for a local effect of leptin in bovine mammary gland. J Dairy Sci 85: 3277–3286. , , , .
- 2006. Hormonal and local control of mammary branching morphogenesis. Differentiation 74: 365–381. , , , .
- 2003. Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue. J Clin Invest 112: 1796–1808. , , , , ,
- 2003. Site-specific inductive and inhibitory activities of MMP-2 and MMP-3 orchestrate mammary gland branching morphogenesis. J Cell Biol 162: 1123–1133. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Leptin inhibits hepatocyte growth factor-induced ductal morphogenesis of bovine mammary epithelial cells. Jpn J Vet Res 54: 183–189. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Role of leptin in hypothalamic-pituitary function. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 1023–1028. , , , , .