Mesendodermal signals required for otic induction: Bmp-antagonists cooperate with Fgf and can facilitate formation of ectopic otic tissue
Version of Record online: 4 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Xenopus
Volume 238, Issue 6, pages 1582–1594, June 2009
How to Cite
Kwon, H.-J. and Riley, B. B. (2009), Mesendodermal signals required for otic induction: Bmp-antagonists cooperate with Fgf and can facilitate formation of ectopic otic tissue. Dev. Dyn., 238: 1582–1594. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21955
- Issue online: 12 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 4 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2009
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: NIDCD-DC003806
- 2005. Tissues and signals involved in the induction of placodal Six1 expression in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol 288: 40–59. , .
- 2003. Requirements for FGF3 and FGF10 during inner ear formation. Development 130: 6329–6338. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Crossveinless-2 is a BMP feedback inhibitor that binds Chordin/BMP to regulate Xenopus embryonic patterning. Dev Cell 15: 248–260. , , , , .
- 1999. Delta-mediated specification of midline cell fates in zebrafish embryos. Curr Biol 9: 247–256. , , , , , .
- 2003. The role of Chordin/Bmp signals in mammalian pharyngeal development and DiGeorge syndrome. Development 130: 3567–3578. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Follistatin and Noggin are excluded from the zebrafish organizer. Dev Biol 204: 488–507. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Mutations in zebrafish genes affecting the formation of the boundary between midbrain and hindbrain. Development 123: 179–190. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Six1 promotes a placodal fate within the lateral neurogenic ectoderm by functioning as both a transcriptional activator and repressor. Development 131: 5871–5881. , , , , .
- 2001. Single-cell internalization during zebrafish gastrulation. Curr Biol 11: 1261–1265. , .
- 2002. Analysis of spatial and temporal expression patterns in blastula and gastrula stage chick embryos. Dev Biol 245: 187–199. , , , .
- 2002. Mouse Crossveinless-2 is the vertebrate homolog of Drosophila extracellular regulator of BMP signaling. Mech Dev 119S: 179–184. , , , , .
- 2004. A vertebrate crossveinless 2 homologue modulates BMP activity and neural crest cell migration. Development 131: 5309–5317. , , , .
- 2003. The role of the zebrafish nodal-related genes squint and cyclops in patterning of mesendoderm. Development 130: 1837–1851. , , , , .
- 2005. pitx3 defines an equivalence domain for lens and anterior pituitary placode. Development 132: 1579–1590 , , , , , , .
- 2009. dlx3b/4b are required for the formation of the preplacodal region and otic placode through local modulation of BMP activity. Dev Dyn 325: 189–199. , .
- 1994. Expression of activin subunits, activin receptors and follistatin in postimplantation mouse embryos suggests specific developmental functions for different activins. Development 120: 3621–3637. , , .
- 2000. Nodal-related signals establish mesendodermal fate and trunk neural identity in zebrafish. Curr Biol 10: 531–534. , , , .
- 2008. The role of FGF signaling in the establishment and maintenance of mesodermal gene expression in Xenopus. Dev Dyn 237: 1243–1254. , .
- 2008. Progressive restriction of otic fate: the role of FGF and Wnt in resolving inner ear potential. Development 135: 3415–3424. , , , , .
- 1999. Three different noggin genes antagonize the activity of Bone Morphogenetic Proteins in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol 214: 181–196. , , .
- 1996. Inductive processes leading to inner ear formation during Xenopus development. Dev Biol 175: 95-107. , , .
- 2004. Role of BMP signaling and the homeodomain Iroquois in the specification of cranial placodal field. Dev Biol 272: 89–103. , , , , , .
- 1999. The EGF-CFC protein one-eyed pinhead is essential for nodal signaling. Cell 97: 121–132. , , , , , .
- 2000. Competence, specification and commitment in otic placode induction. Development 127: 3489–3499. , .
- 2007. Time-dependent patterning of the mesoderm and endoderm by Nodal signals in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol 7: 22. , .
- 1996. Mutations affecting morphogenesis during gastrulation and tail formation in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development 123: 143–151. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Pax8 and Pax2a function synergistically in otic specification, downstream of the Foxi1 and Dlx3b transcription factors. Development 131: 5091–5102. , , .
- 2004. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development 131: 3681–3692. , , , , , .
- 2006. Inhibitor-resistant type I receptors reveal specific requirements for Tgf-β signaling in vivo. Dev Biol 295: 730–742. , , , .
- 2006. Essential pro-BMP role of crossveinless-2 in mouse organogenesis. Development 133: 4463–4473. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Vertebrate Crossveinless 2 is secreted and acts as an extracellular modulator of the Bmp signaling cascade. Dev Dyn 230: 434–445. , , , .
- 2005. Distinct roles for hindbrain and paraxial mesoderm in the induction and patterning of the inner ear revealed by a study of vitamin-A-deficient quail. Dev Biol 285: 252–271. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 1997. The molecular nature of zebrafish swirl: BMP2 function is essential during early dorsoventral patterning. Development 124: 4457–4466. , , , , .
- 2005. Assembly of the trigeminal sensory ganglia by chemokine signaling. Neuron 47: 653–666. , , , .
- 2001. Expression and phylogeny of claudins in vertebrate primordia. Proc Natl Acad Sci 98: 10196–10201. , , , .
- 2002. An expanded domain of fgf3 expression in the hindbrain of zebrafish valentino mutants results in mis-expression of the otic vesicle. Development 129: 5279–5287. , , , .
- 2000. Identification of synergistic signals initiating inner ear development. Science 290: 1965–1967. , , , , .
- 2005. FGF8 initiates inner ear induction in chick and mouse. Genes Dev 19: 603–613. , , , , .
- 2002. Fgf8 and Fgf3 are required for zebrafish ear placode induction, maintenance and inner ear patterning. Mech Dev 119: 91–108. , .
- 2005. A balance of FGF, BMP and WNT signalling positions the future placode territory in the head. Development 132: 4051–4062. , , .
- 2003. Fgf3 and Fgf8 dependent and independent transcription factors are required for otic placode specification. Development 130: 2213–2224. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Fgf3 and Fgf8 are required together for formation of the otic placode and vesicle. Development 129: 2099–2108. , , , , , .
- 2004. Nodal and Fgf pathways interact through a positive regulatory loop and synergize to maintain mesodermal cell populations. Development 131: 629–641. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Genetic analysis of tissue-interactions required for otic placode induction in the zebrafish. Dev Biol 206: 100–112. , .
- 1997. Differential regulation of chordin expression domains in mutant zebrafish. Dev Biol 192: 537–550. , , , , .
- 2007. Cxcl12/Cxcr4 chemokine signaling is required for placode assembly and sensory axon pathfinding in the zebrafish olfactory system. Development 134: 2459–2468. , , .
- 2003. BMPER, a novel endothelial cell precursor-derived protein, antagonizes Bone Morphogenetic Protein signaling and endothelial cell differentiation. Mol Cell Biol 23: 5664–5679. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Effective targeted gene 'knockdown' in zebrafish. Nat Genet 26: 216–220. , .
- 1997. A graded response to BMP-4 spatially coordinates patterning of the mesoderm and ectoderm in the zebrafish. Mech Dev 62: 183–195. , , .
- 2007. Specification of epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development 134: 611–623. , , , .
- 1998. Ventral and lateral regions of the zebrafish gastrula, including the neural crest progenitors, are established by a bmp2b/swirl pathway of genes. Dev Biol 199: 93–110. , , , , , .
- 2005. Regulated expression pattern of gremlin during zebrafish development. Gene Express Patterns 5: 539–544. , , , , .
- 2007. Initial specification of the epibranchial placode in zebrafish embryos depends on the Fibroblast Growth Factor signal. Dev Dyn 236: 564–571. , , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of the Dan gene during chicken embryonic development. Mech Dev 109: 363–365. , , , , , .
- 2006. Wnt signals mediate a fate decision between otic placode and epidermis. Development 133: 865–875. , , , , .
- 2001. Zebrafish fgf3 and fgf8 encode redundant functions required for otic placode induction. Dev Biol 235: 351–365. , , .
- 2004. A direct role for Fgf but not Wnt in otic placode induction. Development 131: 923–931. , , , .
- 2006. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol 294: 376–390. , , , , , .
- 2008. Pathfinding in a large vertebrate axon tract: isotypic interactions guide retinotectal axons at multiple choice points. Development 135: 2865–2871. , , .
- 2000. Induction and differentiation of the zebrafish heart requires fibroblast growth factor 8 (fgf8/acerebellar). Development 127: 225–235. , , , , .
- 2006. Crossveinless 2 is an essential positive feedback regulator of Bmp signaling during zebrafish gastrulation. Development 133: 801–811. , , , , .
- 2003. Ringing in the new ear: resolution of cell interactions in otic development. Dev Biol 261: 289–312. , .
- 2008. The BMP-binding protein Crossveinless 2 is a short range, concentration-dependent, biphasic modulator of BMP signaling in Drosophila. Dev Cell 14: 940–953. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Genetic interactions underlying otic placode induction and formation. Dev Dyn 230: 419–433. , , .
- 2007. Activation and roles of ALK4/ALK7-mediated maternal TGF signals in zebrafish embryo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 345: 694–703. , , , , , .
- 2007. Patterns of expression of the Follistatin and Follistatin-like1 genes during chicken heart development: A potential role in valvulogenesis and late heart muscle cell formation. Anat Rec 290: 783–787. , , , , .
- 2003. One-eyed pinhead regulates cell motility independent of Squint/Cyclops signaling. Dev Biol 261: 391–411. , .
- 1997. Concentration-dependent patterning of the Xenopus ectoderm by BMP4 and its signal transducer Smad1. Development 124: 3177–3184. , , , .
- 2003. Fgf3 and Fgf10 are required for mouse otic placode induction. Development 130: 3379–3390. , .
- 2005. A GFP-based genetic screen reveals mutations that disrupt the architecture of the zebrafish retinotectal projection. Development 132: 2955–2967. , , , .
- 1933. Experiments on the determination of the ear ectoderm in the embryo of Amblystoma punctatum. J Exp Zool 65: 317–352. .
- 1950. An analysis of inductin of the ear form foreign ectoderm in the salamander embryo. J Exp Zool 113: 211–240. .
- 2007. Differential requirements for FGF3, FGF8 and FGF10 during inner ear development. Dev Biol 308: 379–391. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Crystal structure analysis reveals how the Chordin family member Crossveinless 2 blocks BMP-2 receptor binding. Dev Cell 14: 739–750. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Modulation of zebrafish pitx3 expression in the primordia of the pituitary, lens, olfactory epithelium and cranial ganglia by Hedgehog and Nodal signaling. Genesis 41: 33–40. , , , .