Dr. Leblond is deceased.
Neoepitopes reveal the features of type II collagen cleavage and the identity of a collagenase involved in the transformation of the epiphyses anlagen in development
Article first published online: 13 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Xenopus
Volume 238, Issue 6, pages 1547–1563, June 2009
How to Cite
Lee, E. R., Lamplugh, L., Kluczyk, B., Leblond, C. P. and Mort, J. S. (2009), Neoepitopes reveal the features of type II collagen cleavage and the identity of a collagenase involved in the transformation of the epiphyses anlagen in development. Dev. Dyn., 238: 1547–1563. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21960
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 13 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2009
- Shriners of North America. Grant Number: 8530
- 2005. Expression patterns of matrix metalloproteinases and vascular endothelial growth factor during epiphyseal ossification. J Bone Miner Res 20: 1011–1021. , , , , .
- 1998. Matrix-metalloproteinase-mediated release of immunoreactive telopeptides from cartilage type II collagen. Trans Orthop Res Soc 23: 850. , , , , .
- 2003. The biology of the growth plate. J Bone Joint Surg Am 85: 715–726. , .
- 1997. Enhanced cleavage of type II collagen by collagenases in osteoarthritic articular cartilage. J Clin Invest 99: 1534–1545. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The type II collagen fragments Helix-II and CTX-II reveal different enzymatic pathways of human cartilage collagen degradation. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 16: 1183–1191. , , , , , .
- 2001. Collagen type II C-telopeptide fragments as an index of cartilage degradation. Bone 29: 209–215. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. MT1-MMP-dependent neovessel formation within the confines of the three-dimensional extracellular matrix. J Cell Biol 167: 757–767. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Collagenase unwinds triple-helical collagen prior to peptide bond hydrolysis. EMBO J 23: 3020–3030. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Induction of matrix metalloproteinase activation cascades based on membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase: associated activation of gelatinase A, gelatinase B and collagenase 3. Biochem J 331(pt 2): 453–458. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Enzymes active in the areas undergoing cartilage resorption during the development of the secondary ossification center in the tibiae of rats aged 0-21 days: II. Two proteinases, gelatinase B and collagenase-3, are implicated in the lysis of collagen fibrils. Dev Dyn 222: 71–88. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cross-linked telopeptides from collagen types I, II and III in human urine. J Bone Miner Res 11: S413. , , , , , .
- 2002. Recent developments in cartilage research: matrix biology of the collagen II/IX/XI heterofibril network. Biochem Soc Trans 30: 893–899. , , , , .
- 2008. Advances in collagen cross-link analysis. Methods 45: 65–74. , , .
- 1986. Characterization of a specific antiserum for mammalian collagenase from several species: immunolocalization of collagenase in rabbit chondrocytes and uterus. J Cell Sci 81: 105–123. , , , , .
- 1991. Purification and characterization of human 72-kDa gelatinase (type IV collagenase). Use of immunolocalisation to demonstrate the non-coordinate regulation of the 72-kDa and 95-kDa gelatinases by human fibroblasts. Biol Chem Hoppe Seyler 372: 287–296. , , , , .
- 2004. Ovariectomized rats as a model of postmenopausal osteoarthritis: validation and application. Arthritis Res Ther 6: R169–R180. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Aspects of extracellular matrix remodeling in development and disease. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 78: 11–23. , .
- 1999. MT1-MMP-deficient mice develop dwarfism, osteopenia, arthritis, and connective tissue disease due to inadequate collagen turnover. Cell 99: 81–92. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. MT1-MMP-dependent, apoptotic remodeling of unmineralized cartilage: a critical process in skeletal growth. J Cell Biol 163: 661–671. , , , , .
- 2004. MT1-MMP: a tethered collagenase. J Cell Physiol 200: 11–19. , , , .
- 2005. The metalloproteinase MT1-MMP is required for normal development and maintenance of osteocyte processes in bone. J Cell Sci 118: 147–156. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Critical roles for collagenase-3 (Mmp13) in development of growth plate cartilage and in endochondral ossification. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 17192–17197. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Cartilage destruction in collagen induced arthritis assessed with a new biochemical marker for collagen type II C-telopeptide fragments. J Rheumatol 31: 1174–1179. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. MT1-MMP: a key regulator of cell migration in tissue. IUBMB Life 58: 589–596. .
- 2006. MT1-MMP: a potent modifier of pericellular microenvironment. J Cell Physiol 206: 1–8. , .
- 2002. Tissue origins and interactions in the mammalian skull vault. Dev Biol 241: 106–116. , , , , .
- 2005. MMP-13 mutation causes spondyloepimetaphyseal dysplasia, Missouri type (SEMD(MO)). J Clin Invest 115: 2832–2842. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996a. Biochemical characterization of human collagenase-3. J Biol Chem 271: 1544–1550. , , , , .
- 1996b. Cellular mechanisms for human procollagenase-3 (MMP-13) activation. Evidence that MT1-MMP (MMP-14) and gelatinase a (MMP-2) are able to generate active enzyme. J Biol Chem 271: 17124–17131. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cellular activation of proMMP-13 by MT1-MMP depends on the C-terminal domain of MMP-13. FEBS Lett 532: 127–130. , , , , , .
- 2008. Matrix metalloproteinases and bone. Bone 43: 7–18. , .
- 2006. Proteolytic enzymes in skeletal development: histochemical methods adapted to the study of matrix lysis during the transformation of a “cartilage model” into bone. Front Biosci 11: 2538–2553. .
- 1982. Divison of the mouse gastric mucosa into zymogenic and mucous regions on the basis of gland features. Am J Anat 164: 187–207. , , , .
- 1998. Immunolocalization of the cleavage of the aggrecan core protein at the Asn341-Phe342 bond, as an indicator of the location of the metalloproteinases active in the lysis of the rat growth plate. Anat Rec 252: 117–132. , , , , , .
- 2001. Enzymes active in the areas undergoing cartilage resorption during the development of the secondary ossification center in the tibiae of rats ages 0-21 days: I. Two groups of proteinases cleave the core protein of aggrecan. Dev Dyn 222: 52–70. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Protease analysis by neoepitope approach reveals the activation of MMP-9 is achieved proteolytically in a test tissue cartilage model involved in bone formation. J Histochem Cytochem 54: 965–980. , , , , .
- 2007. Extracellular collagenases and the endocytic receptor, urokinase plasminogen activator receptor-associated protein/Endo180, cooperate in fibroblast-mediated collagen degradation. J Biol Chem 282: 27037–27045. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Analysis of cartilage biomarkers in the early phases of canine experimental osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 50: 543–552. , , , , .
- 1974. Periodate-lysine-paraformaldehyde fixative. A new fixation for immunoelectron microscopy. J Histochem Cytochem 22: 1077–1083. , .
- 1976. Cleavage of Type II and III collagens with mammalian collagenase: site of cleavage and primary structure at the NH2-terminal portion of the smaller fragment released from both collagens. Biochemistry 15: 787–792. , , , , , .
- 1996. Cloning, expression, and type II collagenolytic activity of matrix metalloproteinase-13 from human osteoarthritic cartilage. J Clin Invest 97: 761–768. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The use of cleavage site specific antibodies to delineate protein processing and breakdown pathways. Mol Pathol 52: 11–18. , .
- 1997. Relating matrix metalloproteinase structure to function: why the “hemopexin” domain? Matrix Biol 15: 511–518. , .
- 2008. Progress in matrix metalloproteinase research. Mol Aspects Med. , .
- 1982. Partial purification of collagenase and gelatinase from human polymorphonuclear leucocytes. Analysis of their actions on soluble and insoluble collagens. Biochem J 203: 209–221. , , , .
- 1999. Evaluation of some newer matrix metalloproteinases. Ann N Y Acad Sci 878: 25–39. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Structure and function of matrix metalloproteinases and TIMPs. Cardiovasc Res 69: 562–573. , , .
- 2006. Sport-related differences in biomarkers of bone resorption and cartilage degradation in endurance athletes. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 14: 71–76. , , , .
- 1997. Membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase digests interstitial collagens and other extracellular matrix macromolecules. J Biol Chem 272: 2446–2451. , , , , , .
- 1990. Matrix metalloproteinase 2 from human rheumatoid synovial fibroblasts. Purification and activation of the precursor and enzymic properties. Eur J Biochem 194: 721–730. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular determinants of metalloproteinase substrate specificity: matrix metalloproteinase substrate binding domains, modules, and exosites. Mol Biotechnol 22: 51–86. .
- 2007. Matrix metalloproteinases and the regulation of tissue remodelling. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 8: 221–233. , , .
- 2001. Specific collagenolysis by gelatinase A, MMP-2, is determined by the hemopexin domain and not the fibronectin-like domain. FEBS Lett 503: 158–162. , , , .
- 2007. Control of matrix metalloproteinase catalytic activity. Matrix Biol 26: 587–596. , .
- 2000. Physiological cell death of chondrocytes in vivo is not confined to apoptosis. New observations on the mammalian growth plate. J Bone Joint Surg Br 82: 601–613. , .
- 1998. Initiation of the bony epiphysis in long bones: chronology of interactions between the vascular system and the chondrocytes. J Bone Miner Res 13: 950–961. , , .
- 1989. The activation of human type IV collagenase proenzyme. Sequence identification of the major conversion product following organomercurial activation. J Biol Chem 264: 1353–1356. , , , , .
- 2004. Altered endochondral bone development in matrix metalloproteinase 13-deficient mice. Development 131: 5883–5895. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Complementary roles of intracellular and pericellular collagen degradation pathways in vivo. Mol Cell Biol 27: 6309–6322. , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Characteristics of the action of human skin fibroblast collagenase on fibrillar collagen. J Biol Chem 255: 6806–6813. , , , , .
- 2000. Impaired endochondral ossification and angiogenesis in mice deficient in membrane-type matrix metalloproteinase I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 4052–4057. , , , , , , , , .