Patterns & Phenotypes
Dynamic expression of neurogenic markers in the developing chick olfactory epithelium
Version of Record online: 13 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Xenopus
Volume 238, Issue 6, pages 1617–1625, June 2009
How to Cite
Maier, E. and Gunhaga, L. (2009), Dynamic expression of neurogenic markers in the developing chick olfactory epithelium. Dev. Dyn., 238: 1617–1625. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21966
- Issue online: 13 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 13 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAR 2009
- Medical Faculty of Umeå University, Sweden
- Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- 1990. Chicken growth-associated protein (GAP)-43: primary structure and regulated expression of mRNA during embryogenesis. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 7: 61–68. , , , .
- 2005. Identification and molecular regulation of neural stem cells in the olfactory epithelium. Exp Cell Res 306: 309–316. , , , .
- 1998. The atlas of chick development. New York: Academic Press, 323p. , .
- 2004. Segregation of lens and olfactory precursors from a common territory: cell sorting and reciprocity of Dlx5 and Pax6 expression. Dev Biol 271: 403–414. , , , .
- 1997. Mash1 activates a cascade of bHLH regulators in olfactory neuron progenitors. Development 124: 1611–1621. , , , .
- 2000. Hes genes regulate sequential stages of neurogenesis in the olfactory epithelium. Development 127: 2323–2332. , , , , .
- 2002. Mash1 and Ngn1 control distinct steps of determination and differentiation in the olfactory sensory neuron lineage. Development 129: 1871–1880. , , .
- 1989. Characterization of epithelial domains in the nasal passages of chick embryos: spatial and temporal mapping of a range of extracellular matrix and cell surface molecules during development of the nasal placode. Development 106: 493–509. , .
- 1995. The telencephalic vesicles are innervated by olfactory placode-derived cells: a possible mechanism to induce neocortical development. Neuroscience 68: 1167–1178. , , .
- 1999. Development of the chick olfactory nerve. Dev Dyn 214: 349–360. , .
- 2006. The GATA2 transcription factor negatively regulates the proliferation of neuronal progenitors. Development 133: 2155–2165. , , , , .
- 2005. A novel hes5/hes6 circuitry of negative regulation controls Notch activity during neurogenesis. Dev Biol 281: 318–333. , .
- 2001. Evidence of very early neuronal migration from the olfactory placode of the chick embryo. Neuroscience 107: 191–197. , , , .
- 2003. HuC/D confocal imaging points to olfactory migratory cells as the first cell population that expresses a post-mitotic neuronal phenotype in the chick embryo. Neuroscience 122: 123–128. , , , .
- 1992. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. 1951. Dev Dyn 195: 231–272. , .
- 2004. The LIM-homeodomain protein Lhx2 is required for complete development of mouse olfactory sensory neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 8751–8755. , .
- 1995. Signalling downstream of activated mammalian Notch. Nature 377: 355–358. , , , , , .
- 1994. A chicken achaete-scute homolog (CASH-1) is expressed in a temporally and spatially discrete manner in the developing nervous system. Development 120: 769–783. , , , .
- 1998. The atlas of mouse development, revised ed. New York: Academic Press. 525 p. .
- 2004. Molecular signals regulating proliferation of stem and progenitor cells in mouse olfactory epithelium. Dev Neurosci 26: 166–180. , , , , , , .
- 2004. The Lim homeobox gene Lhx2 is required for olfactory sensory neuron identity. Development 131: 5319–5326. , , , .
- 2000. Ectopic expression of luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone and peripherin in the respiratory epithelium of mice lacking transcription factor AP-2alpha. Mech Dev 94: 79–94. , , , , .
- 1998. Neuronal patterning by BMPs: a requirement for GDF7 in the generation of a discrete class of commissural interneurons in the mouse spinal cord. Genes Dev 12: 3394–3407. , , .
- 1996. Avian olfactory receptors: differentiation of olfactory neurons under normal and experimental conditions. Dev Biol 175: 118–131. , , , .
- 1999. Embryonic development of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) system in the chick: a spatio-temporal analysis of GnRH neuronal generation, site of origin, and migration. Endocrinology 140: 422–433. , , .
- 2003. Widespread defects in the primary olfactory pathway caused by loss of Mash1 function. J Neurosci 23: 1769–1780. , , , , .
- 1999. Early specification of sensory neuron fate revealed by expression and function of neurogenins in the chick embryo. Development 126: 1715–1728. , , .
- 2007. Time of exposure to BMP signals plays a key role in the specification of the olfactory and lens placodes ex vivo. Dev Cell 13: 141–149. , , .
- 1993. Detection of messenger RNA by in situ hybridization to tissue sections and whole mounts. Methods Enzymol 225: 361–373. , .