This article was accepted for inclusion in Developmental Dynamics238#6 – Special Focus on Xenopus.
Special Issue Research Article
Role of p21-activated kinase in cell polarity and directional mesendoderm migration in the Xenopus gastrula†
Version of Record online: 4 JUN 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 7, pages 1709–1726, July 2009
How to Cite
Nagel, M., Luu, O., Bisson, N., Macanovic, B., Moss, T. and Winklbauer, R. (2009), Role of p21-activated kinase in cell polarity and directional mesendoderm migration in the Xenopus gastrula. Dev. Dyn., 238: 1709–1726. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.21985
- Issue online: 10 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 4 JUN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 APR 2009
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Number: MOP-53075
- National Cancer Institute of Canada
- 2004. The integrin-binding protein Nischarin regulates cell migration by inhibiting PAK. EMBO J 23: 2777–2788. , , .
- 1995. PDGF signaling is required for gastrulation of Xenopus laevis. Development 121: 3099–3110. , , , , .
- 2005. A microtubule-dependent zone of active RhoA during cleavage plane specification. J Cell Biol 170: 91–101. , , .
- 2003. The catalytic domain of xPAK1 is sufficient to induce myosin II dependent in vivo cell fragmentation independently of other apoptotic events. Dev Biol 263: 264–281. , , , , , .
- 2007. EphA4 signaling regulates blastomere adhesion in the Xenopus embryo by recruiting Pak1 to suppress Cdc42 function. Mol Biol Cell 18: 1030–1043. , , , , .
- 2003. Biology of the p21-activated kinases. Annu Rev Biochem 72: 743–781. .
- 2004. Pak-1 expression increases with progression of colorectal carcinomas to metastasis. Clin Cancer Res 10: 3448–3456. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of Xenopus p21-activated kinase (X-PAK2) by Cdc42 and maturation promoting factor controls Xenopus oocyte maturation. J Biol Chem 275: 2367–2375. , , , , , .
- 1991. Molecular nature of Spemann's organizer: the role of the Xenopus homeobox gene goosecoid. Cell 67: 1111–1120. , , , .
- 2001. Control of cell polarity and chemotaxis by Akt/PKB and PI3 kinase through the regulation of PAKa. Mol Cell 7: 937–947. , , .
- 2005. Integrins control motile strategy through a Rho-cofilin pathway. J Cell Biol 169: 15–26. , , , , , , .
- 1988. The 140-kDa fibronectin receptor complex is required for mesodermal cell adhesion during gastrulation in the amphibian Pleurodeles waltlii. Dev Biol 126: 182–194. , , , .
- 2000. Adhesion to the extracellular matrix regulates the coupling of the small GTPase Rac to its effector PAK. EMBO J 19: 2008–2014. , , , , .
- 2004. Phosphorylation of RhoGDI by Pak1 mediates dissociation of Rac GTPase. Mol Cell 15: 117–127. , , .
- 2005. PAK1 regulates myosin II-B phosphorylation, filament assembly, localization and cell chemotaxis. Cell Signal 17: 1137–1148. , , .
- 1997. A member of the Ste20/PAK family of protein kinases is involved in both arrest of Xenopus oocytes at G2/prophase of the first meiotic cell cycle and in prevention of apoptosis. EMBO J 16: 5550–5561. , , , .
- 2005. Xenopus p21-activated kinase 5 regulates blastomere adhesive properties during convergent extension movements. Dev Biol 277: 472–492. , , , , , , .
- 2007. SDF-1 alpha regulates mesendodermal cell migration during frog gastrulation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 354: 472–477. , , , , .
- 1993. Tail formation as a continuation of gastrulation: the multiple cell populations of the Xenopus tailbud derive from the late blastopore lip. Development 119: 991–1004. , , , .
- 1991. In situ hybridization: an improved whole-mount method for Xenopus embryos. Methods Cell Biol. 36: 685–695. .
- 1999. Pak functions downstream of Dock to regulate photoreceptor axon guidance in Drosophila. Cell 97: 853–63. , , , , .
- 2004. The genetics of Pak. J Cell Sci 117: 4343–4354. , , .
- 2001. Cell adhesion regulates the interaction between Nck and p21-activated kinase. J Biol Chem 276: 14541–14544. .
- 2001. Mechanisms of mesoderm internalization in the Xenopus gastrula: lessons from the ventral side. Dev Biol 240: 108–122. , .
- 2007. Wnt signalling regulates paxillin ubiquination essential for mesodermal cell motility. Nat Cell Biol 9: 813–821. , , , .
- 2000. The cytoskeletal effector xPAK1 is expressed during both ear and lateral line development in Xenopus. Int J Dev Biol 44: 245–248. , , .
- 2007. Rho inhibition induces migration of mesenchymal stromal cells. Stem Cells 25: 1966–1974. , , , , , , .
- 1993. The Xenopus platelet-derived growth factor α receptor: cDNA cloning and demonstration that mesoderm induction establishes the lineage-specific pattern of ligand and receptor gene expression. Dev Genet 14: 185–193. , , , , , .
- 2002. Shaping the vertebrate body plan by polarized embryonic cell movements. Science 298: 1950–1954. .
- 1999. A role for p21-activated kinase in endothelial cell migration. J Cell Biol 147: 831–843. , , , , .
- 2002. Emerging functions of p21-activated kinases in human cancer cells. J Cell Physiol 193: 133–144. , .
- 1984. Temporal and spatial regulation of fibronectin in early Xenopus development. Cell 36: 729–740. , , .
- 2004. Dictyostelium PAKc is Required for Proper Chemotaxis. Mol Biol Cell 15: 5456–5469. , , , , , ,
- 2005. Essential role of CIB1 in regulating PAK1 activation and cell migration. J Cell Biol 170: 465–476. , , , , .
- 2002. p21-activated kinase 1 interacts with and phosphorylates histone H3 in breast cancer cells. EMBO Rep 3: 767–773. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Directional sensing requires Gβγ-mediated PAK1 and PIXα-dependent activation of Cdc42. Cell 114: 215–227. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Activation of Pak by membrane localization mediated by an SH3 domain from the adaptor protein Nck. Curr Biol 7: 85–94. , , , .
- 2008. Control of gastrula cell motility by the Goosecoid/Mix.1/ Siamois network: basic patterns and paradoxical effects. Dev Dyn 237: 1307–1320. , , , , .
- 1994. A brain serine/threonine protein kinase activated by Cdc42 and Rac1. Nature 367: 40–46. , , , , .
- 2001. Dok-R plays a pivotal role in angiopoietin-1-dependent cell migration through recruitment and activation of Pak. EMBO J 20: 5919–5928. , , , , , .
- 1999. Establishment of substratum polarity in the blastocoel roof of the Xenopus embryo. Development 126: 1975–1984. , .
- 2004. Guidance of mesoderm cell migration in the Xenopus gastrula requires PDGF signaling. Development 131: 2727–2736. , , , .
- 1967. Normal table of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). Amsterdam: North-Holland. , .
- 2004. Antero-posterior tissue polarity links mesoderm convergent extension to axial patterning. Nature 430: 364–367. , , .
- 1995. Rho, rac, and cdc42 GTPases regulate the assembly of multimolecular focal complexes associated with actin stress fibers, lamellipodia, and filopodia. Cell 81: 53–62. , .
- 1998. PAK promotes morphological changes by acting upstream of Rac. EMBO J 17: 4328–4339. , , , , , .
- 2003a. PAK interacts with NCK and MLK2 to regulate the activation of jun N-terminal kinase. FEBS Lett 543: 129–135. , , , .
- 2003b. A tissue restricted role for the Xenopus Jun N-terminal kinase kinase kinase MLK2 in cement gland and pronephric tubule differentiation. Dev Biol 254: 200–214. , , , .
- 1996. Xenopus embryonic cell adhesion to fibronectin: position-specific activation of RGD/synergy site-dependent migratory behavior at gastrulation. J Cell Biol 134: 227–240. , .
- 1996. Integrin-dependent adhesive activity is spatially controlled by inductive signals at gastrulation. Development 122: 2873–2883. , , .
- 2006. Migrating anterior mesoderm cells and intercalating trunk mesoderm cells have distinct responses to Rho and Rac during Xenopus gastrulation. Dev Dyn 235: 1090–1099. , , , , .
- 2006. AlphaPIX and betaPIX and their role in focal adhesion formation. Eur J Cell Biol 85: 265–274. , .
- 1999. Rac downregulates Rho activity: reciprocal balance between both GTPases determines cellular morphology and migratory behavior. J Cell Biol 147: 1009–1022. , , , , .
- 2003. Combined array comparative genomic hybridization and tissue microarray analysis suggest PAK1 at 11q13.5-q14 as a critical oncogene target in ovarian carcinoma. Am J Pathol 163: 985–992. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Structure and cytoskeletal organization of migratory mesoderm cells from the Xenopus gastrula. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 36: 12–29. , .
- 1999. p21-activated kinase 1 (Pak1) regulates cell motility in mammalian fibroblasts. J Cell Biol 145: 837–849. , , .
- 1991. Expression of a Xenopus homolog of Brachyury (T) is an immediate-early response to mesoderm induction. Cell 67: 79–87. , , , , .
- 2002. Xpak3 promotes cell cycle withdrawal during primary neurogenesis in Xenopus laevis. EMBO J 21: 6429–6439. , , .
- 2003. Rac and Cdc42 play distinct roles in regulating PI(3,4,5)P3 and polarity during neutrophil chemotaxis. J Cell Biol 160: 375–385. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Embryonic mesoderm cells spread in response to platelet-derived growth factor and signaling by phophatitylinositol 3-kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 9641–9644. , .
- 2006. Targeting and activation of Rac1 are mediated by the exchange factor beta-Pix. J. Cell Biol 172: 759–769. , , , .
- 1998. Patterns and control of cell motility in the Xenopus gastrula. Development 125: 1931–1942. , , , , .
- 2002. Convergent extension: the molecular control of polarized cell movement during embryonic development. Dev Cell 2: 695–706. , , .
- 2003. Spontaneous cell polarization through actomyosin-based delivery of the Cdc42 GTPase. Science 299: 1231–1235. , , , .
- 1990. Mesoderm cell migration during Xenopus gastrulation. Dev Biol 142: 155–168. .
- 1998. Conditions for fibronectin fibril formation in the early Xenopus embryo. Dev Dyn 212: 335–345. .
- 1996. Fibronectin, mesoderm migration, and gastrulation in Xenopus. Dev Biol 148: 573–589. , .
- 1991. Directional mesoderm cell migration in the Xenopus gastrula. Dev Biol 148: 573–589. , .
- 1999. Vegetal rotation, a new gastrulation movement involved in the internalization of the mesoderm and endoderm in Xenopus. Development 126: 3703–3713. , .
- 1992. Motile behavior and protrusive activity of migratory mesoderm cells from the Xenopus gastrula. Dev Biol 150: 335–351. , .
- 1995. Fibronectin fibril growth in the extracellular matrix of the Xenopus embryo. J Cell Sci 108: 1575–1586. , .
- 2003. RhoA and ROCK promote migration by limiting membrane protrusions. J Biol Chem 278: 13578–13584. , .
- 2006. Gene targeting of Cdc42 and Cdc42GAP affirms the critical involvement of Cdc42 in filopodia induction, directed migration, and proliferation in primary mouse embryonic fibroblasts. Mol Biol Cell 17: 4675–4685. , , .
- 1999. αPIX nucleotide exchange factor is activated by interaction with phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase. Oncogene 18: 5680–5690. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Early molecular events in the assembly of matrix adhesions at the leading edge of migrating cells. J Cell Sci 116: 4605–4613. , , , .