Conditional gene inactivation reveals roles for Fgf10 and Fgfr2 in establishing a normal pattern of epithelial branching in the mouse lung
Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 8, pages 1999–2013, August 2009
How to Cite
Abler, L. L., Mansour, S. L. and Sun, X. (2009), Conditional gene inactivation reveals roles for Fgf10 and Fgfr2 in establishing a normal pattern of epithelial branching in the mouse lung. Dev. Dyn., 238: 1999–2013. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22032
- Issue online: 17 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAY 2009
- Burroughs-Wellcome. Grant Number: Career award 1002361
- University of Wisconsin Medical Education Research Committee. Grant Numbers: Young Investigator Award, R01DC005608, R01DC004185
- 1998. Targeted disruption of fibroblast growth factor (FGF) receptor 2 suggests a role for FGF signaling in pregastrulation mammalian development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 5082–5087. , , , , .
- 1999. Fgfr2 is required for limb outgrowth and lung-branching morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 11895–11899. , , , .
- 1996. Evidence from normal expression and targeted misexpression that bone morphogenetic protein (Bmp-4) plays a role in mouse embryonic lung morphogenesis. Development 122: 1693–1702. , , , , .
- 1997. Fibroblast growth factor 10 (FGF10) and branching morphogenesis in the embryonic mouse lung. Development 124: 4867–4878. , , , , .
- 2006. Regulation of early lung morphogenesis: questions, facts and controversies. Development 133: 1611–1624. , .
- 2003. The isthmic organizer signal FGF8 is required for cell survival in the prospective midbrain and cerebellum. Development 130: 2633–2644. , , , .
- 2003. Branching morphogenesis of the lung: new molecular insights into an old problem. Trends Cell Biol 13: 86–91. , .
- 2001. FGF-10 disrupts lung morphogenesis and causes pulmonary adenomas in vivo. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280: L705–L715. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Genomic organization and embryonic expression of the mouse fibroblast growth factor 9 gene. Dev Dyn 216: 72–88. , , , , .
- 2000. An important role for the IIIb isoform of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2) in mesenchymal-epithelial signalling during mouse organogenesis. Development 127: 483–492. , , , , , .
- 2006. Differential role of FGF9 on epithelium and mesenchyme in mouse embryonic lung. Dev Biol 293: 77–89. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Pattern of keratinocyte growth factor and keratinocyte growth factor receptor expression during mouse fetal development suggests a role in mediating morphogenetic mesenchymal-epithelial interactions. Dev Dyn 203: 223–240. , , , , .
- 1991. Acidic fibroblast growth factor in the developing rat embryo. J Cell Biol 114: 1261–1273. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Social interactions among epithelial cells during tracheal branching morphogenesis. Nature 441: 746–749. , .
- 2008. Sox2 is important for two crucial processes in lung development: branching morphogenesis and epithelial cell differentiation. Dev Biol 317: 296–309. , , , , , .
- 1988. A community effect in animal development. Nature 336: 772–774. .
- 1997. Branching morphogenesis of the lung: new models for a classical problem. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 62: 249–256. , , , , , .
- 2003. Prenatal, but not postnatal, inhibition of fibroblast growth factor receptor signaling causes emphysema. J Biol Chem 278: 415–421. , , .
- 1998. Region-specific expression of chicken Sox2 in the developing gut and lung epithelium: regulation by epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. Dev Dyn 213: 464–475. , , , .
- 2001. The arterial pole of the mouse heart forms from Fgf10-expressing cells in pharyngeal mesoderm. Dev Cell 1: 435–440. , , .
- 1999. Fibroblast growth factor interactions in the developing lung. Mech Dev 86: 125–136. , , .
- 2008. Bmp4 is required for tracheal formation: a novel mouse model for tracheal agenesis. Dev Biol 322: 145–155. , , , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog is essential to foregut development. Nat Genet 20: 58–61. , , , .
- 2002. Differential gene expression in the distal tip endoderm of the embryonic mouse lung. Gene Expr Patterns 2: 229–233. , .
- 2005. Fgf10 expression identifies parabronchial smooth muscle cell progenitors and is required for their entry into the smooth muscle cell lineage. Development 132: 2157–2166. , , , , , , .
- 1994. FGF-7 (keratinocyte growth factor) expression during mouse development suggests roles in myogenesis, forebrain regionalisation and epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. Mech Dev 45: 15–30. , , , .
- 2000. More surprises in the Hedgehog signaling pathway. Cell 100: 185–188. .
- 2008. The branching programme of mouse lung development. Nature 453: 745–750. , , , .
- 1998. Fgf-10 is required for both limb and lung development and exhibits striking functional similarity to Drosophila branchless. Genes Dev 12: 3156–3161. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Vertebrate Sprouty genes are induced by FGF signaling and can cause chondrodysplasia when overexpressed. Development 126: 4465–4475. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. beta-Catenin is required for specification of proximal/distal cell fate during lung morphogenesis. J Biol Chem 278: 40231–40238. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Nmyc plays an essential role during lung development as a dosage-sensitive regulator of progenitor cell proliferation and differentiation. Development 132: 1363–1374. , , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog regulates branching morphogenesis in the mammalian lung. Curr Biol 8: 1083–1086. , , .
- 1992. Two FGF receptor genes are differentially expressed in epithelial and mesenchymal tissues during limb formation and organogenesis in the mouse. Development 114: 233–243. , , , .
- 1994. Targeted expression of a dominant negative FGF receptor blocks branching morphogenesis and epithelial differentiation of the mouse lung. EMBO J 13: 3296–3301. , , , , , .
- 2007. Multiple dose-dependent roles for Sox2 in the patterning and differentiation of anterior foregut endoderm. Development 134: 2521–2531. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Fgf10 dosage is critical for the amplification of epithelial cell progenitors and for the formation of multiple mesenchymal lineages during lung development. Dev Biol 307: 237–247. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Fgf10 is essential for limb and lung formation. Nat Genet 21: 138–141. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling acts upstream of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling to regulate proximal-distal patterning in the lung. Dev Biol 283: 226–239. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat Genet 21: 70–71. .
- 2005. Conditional inactivation of Fgfr1 in mouse defines its role in limb bud establishment, outgrowth and digit patterning. Development 132: 4235–4245. , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of bone morphogenetic protein-4 (BMP-4), bone morphogenetic protein-7 (BMP-7), fibroblast growth factor-8 (FGF-8) and sonic hedgehog (SHH) during branchial arch development in the chick. Mech Dev 53: 383–392. , .
- 2005. Molecular mechanisms of early lung specification and branching morphogenesis. Pediatr Res 57: 26R–37R. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Bmp signaling regulates proximal-distal differentiation of endoderm in mouse lung development. Development 126: 4005–4015. , , , , .
- 2000. Bmp4 and Fgf10 play opposing roles during lung bud morphogenesis. Development 127: 2695–2704. , , .
- 2008. An FGF-WNT gene regulatory network controls lung mesenchyme development. Dev Biol 319: 426–436. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Conditional inactivation of FGF receptor 2 reveals an essential role for FGF signaling in the regulation of osteoblast function and bone growth. Development 130: 3063–3074. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Apoptosis and morphology in mouse embryos by confocal laser scanning microscopy. Methods 18: 473–480. , , .
- 2006. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. The complete mammalian FGF family. J Biol Chem 281: 15694–15700. , , , , , .