T.M. Smith and X. Wang contributed equally to this work.
Hoxa2 plays a direct role in murine palate development
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Focus on Visual Systems
Volume 238, Issue 9, pages 2364–2373, September 2009
How to Cite
Smith, T. M., Wang, X., Zhang, W., Kulyk, W. and Nazarali, A. J. (2009), Hoxa2 plays a direct role in murine palate development. Dev. Dyn., 238: 2364–2373. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22040
- Issue published online: 13 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 3 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUN 2009
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- 1999. AhR, ARNT, and CYP1A1 mRNA quantitation in cultured human embryonic palates exposed to TCDD and comparison with mouse palate in vivo and in culture. Toxicol Sci 47: 62–75. , , , , , .
- 2005. Hox genes and their candidate downstream targets in the developing central nervous system. Cell Mol Neurobiol 25: 697–741. , .
- 2008. A mutation in HOXA2 is responsible for autosomal-recessive microtia in an Iranian family. Am J Hum Genet 82: 982–991. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Cleft palate and decreased brain gamma-aminobutyric acid in mice lacking the 67-kDa isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 6496–6499. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Compensatory defects associated with mutations in Hoxa1 restore normal palatogenesis to Hoxa2 mutants. Development 126: 5011–5026. , .
- 2003. Mesenchymal patterning by Hoxa2 requires blocking Fgf-dependent activation of Ptx1. Development 130: 3403–3414. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Palate development. Development 103(suppl): 41–60. .
- 1993. Hoxa-2 mutant mice exhibit homeotic transformation of skeletal elements derived from cranial neural crest. Cell 75: 1317–1331. , , , .
- 2000. Homeotic transformation of branchial arch identity after Hoxa2 overexpression. Development 127: 5355–5365. , , , , .
- 2003. Nonneuronal expression of the GABA(A) beta3 subunit gene is required for normal palate development in mice. Dev Biol 254: 93–101. , , , .
- 1999. Differential expression of Hoxa-2 protein along the dorsal-ventral axis of the developing and adult mouse spinal cord. Dev Dyn 216: 201–217. , , , , .
- 1992. The atlas of mouse development. New York: Academic Press. p 1–512. .
- 1997. The bicoid-related homeoprotein Ptx1 defines the most anterior domain of the embryo and differentiates posterior from anterior lateral mesoderm. Development 124: 2807–2817. , , .
- 1940. Sul meccanismo di chiusura del palato secondario. Monit Zool Ital 51: 249–273. .
- 1975. Teratogenicity of oral diazepam and diphenylhydantoin in mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 32: 53–61. , .
- 2007. Functional role of transforming growth factor-beta type III receptor during palatal fusion. Dev Dyn 236: 791–801. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Temporal and spatial expression of Hoxa-2 during murine palatogenesis. Cell Mol Neurobiol 20: 269–290. , , , , , .
- 1992. Hox-1.11 and Hox-4.9 homeobox genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89: 2883–2887. , , .
- 2001. Different levels of Hoxa2 are required for particular developmental processes. Mech Dev 108: 135–147. , , , .
- 2000. Ectopic Hoxa2 induction after neural crest migration results in homeosis of jaw elements in Xenopus. Development 127: 5367–5378. , , , .
- 1994. Hoxa-2 expression in normal and transposed rhombomeres: independent regulation in the neural tube and neural crest. Development 120: 911–923. , .
- 1993. A homeotic transformation is generated in the rostral branchial region of the head by disruption of Hoxa-2, which acts as a selector gene. Cell 75: 1333–1349. , , , , , .
- 2005. Temporal requirement of Hoxa2 in cranial neural crest skeletal morphogenesis. Development 132: 4927–4936. , , , .
- 2006. Inhibition of Smad2 expression prevents murine palatal fusion. Dev Dyn 235: 1785–1793. , , , , .
- 1992. Murine Hox-1.11 homeobox gene structure and expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 89: 6280–6284. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Involvement of GABA in palate morphogenesis and its relation to diazepam teratogenesis in two mouse strains. Teratology 28: 15–22. , .
- 1986. Presence of gamma-aminobutyric acid in embryonic palates of AJ and SWV mouse strains. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 6: 53–61. , , .
- 2007. A dosage-dependent role for Spry2 in growth and patterning during palate development. Mech Dev 124: 746–761. , , .
- 2002. Rescue of cleft palate in Msx1-deficient mice by trangenic Bmp4 reveals a network of BMP and Shh signaling in the regulation of mammalian palatogenesis. Development 129: 4135–4146. , , , , , .