Patterns & Phenotypes
Developmental expression of Smoc1 and Smoc2 suggests potential roles in fetal gonad and reproductive tract differentiation
Article first published online: 19 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 11, pages 2877–2890, November 2009
How to Cite
Pazin, D. E. and Albrecht, K. H. (2009), Developmental expression of Smoc1 and Smoc2 suggests potential roles in fetal gonad and reproductive tract differentiation. Dev. Dyn., 238: 2877–2890. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22124
- Issue published online: 19 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 19 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 AUG 2009
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. Grant Number: R01-HD042779
- American Cancer Society. Grant Number: 06-033-01-DDC
- 2007. Developmental expression of mouse Follistatin-like 1 (Fstl1): Dynamic regulation during organogenesis of the kidney and lung. Gene Expr Patterns 7: 491–500. , , .
- 2001. Evidence that Sry is expressed in pre-Sertoli cells and Sertoli and granulosa cells have a common precursor. Dev Biol 240: 92–107. , .
- 2009. Activation of the Hedgehog pathway in the mouse fetal ovary leads to ectopic appearance of fetal Leydig cells and female pseudohermaphroditism. Dev Biol 329: 96–103. , , , , .
- 1995. Hedgehog and Bmp genes are coexpressed at many diverse sites of cell-cell interaction in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 172: 126–138. , .
- 2002. Matricellular proteins: extracellular modulators of cell function. Curr Opin Cell Biol 14: 608–616. , .
- 2006. Vascular endothelial growth factor and kinase domain region receptor are involved in both seminiferous cord formation and vascular development during testis morphogenesis in the rat. Biol Reprod 75: 56–67. , , , , .
- 2004. Using real time RT-PCR analysis to determine multiple gene expression patterns during XX and XY mouse fetal gonad development. Gene Expr Patterns 5: 141–149. , , , , .
- 2006. Retinoid signaling determines germ cell fate in mice. Science 312: 596–600. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Pdgfr-alpha mediates testis cord organization and fetal Leydig cell development in the XY gonad. Genes Dev 17: 800–810. , , .
- 2001. Spatially dynamic expression of Sry in mouse genital ridges. Dev Dyn 221: 201–205. , .
- 1998. Sex in the 90s: SRY and the switch to the male pathway. Annu Rev Physiol 60: 497–523. .
- 1999. Migration of mesonephric cells into the mammalian gonad depends on Sry. Mech Dev 84: 127–131. , , , .
- 2002. Inhibition of Hedgehog signaling by direct binding of cyclopamine to Smoothened. Genes Dev 16: 2743–2748. , , , .
- 2001. Male-to-female sex reversal in mice lacking fibroblast growth factor 9. Cell 104: 875–889. , , , , .
- 2004. SPARC regulates TGF-beta1-dependent signaling in primary glomerular mesangial cells. J Cell Biochem 91: 915–925. , , , , , , .
- 2003. SPARC regulates cell cycle progression in mesangial cells via its inhibition of IGF-dependent signaling. J Cell Biochem 88: 802–811. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Co-regulator recruitment and the mechanism of retinoic acid receptor synergy. Nature 415: 187–192. , , , .
- 2006. Secreted modular calcium-binding protein-1 localization during mouse embryogenesis. Histochem Cell Biol 126: 705–712. , , , .
- 1995. Expression of Sry, the mouse sex determining gene. Development 121: 1603–1614. , , , .
- 2001. Two splice variants of the Wilms' tumor 1 gene have distinct functions during sex determination and nephron formation. Cell 106: 319–329. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Wnt-4 deficiency alters mouse adrenal cortex function, reducing aldosterone production. Endocrinology 143: 4358–4365. , , , , , .
- 1995. Expression of a Delta homologue in prospective neurons in the chick. Nature 375: 787–790. , , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of three mouse homologs of the Drosophila segment polarity gene cubitus interruptus, Gli, Gli-2, and Gli-3, in ectoderm- and mesoderm-derived tissues suggests multiple roles during postimplantation development. Dev Biol 162: 402–413. , , , , .
- 2003. Endothelial and steroidogenic cell migration are regulated by WNT4 in the developing mammalian gonad. Development 130: 3663–3670. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Wnt4 is required for proper male as well as female sexual development. Dev Biol 276: 431–440. , , .
- 2003. The atlas of mouse development. London: Academic Press. .
- 2006. Retinoic acid regulates sex-specific timing of meiotic initiation in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 2474–2479. , , , , , .
- 1993. WT-1 is required for early kidney development. Cell 74: 679–691. , , , , , , .
- 1998. SPARC (BM-40, osteonectin) inhibits the mitogenic effect of vascular endothelial growth factor on microvascular endothelial cells. J Biol Chem 273: 29635–29640. , , .
- 2009. Novel markers of early ovarian pre-granulosa cells are expressed in an Sry-like pattern. Dev Dyn 238: 812–825. , , , , .
- 2007. A high-resolution anatomical ontology of the developing murine genitourinary tract. Gene Expr Patterns 7: 680–699. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The SPARC-related Factor SMOC-2 Promotes Growth Factor-induced Cyclin D1 Expression and DNA Synthesis via Integrin-linked Kinase. Mol Biol Cell 19: 248–261. , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 1994. A cell-specific nuclear receptor is essential for adrenal and gonadal development and sexual differentiation. Cell 77: 481–490. , , .
- 2008. The widely expressed extracellular matrix protein SMOC-2 promotes keratinocyte attachment and migration. Exp Cell Res 314: 2477–2487. , , .
- 2003. Sexual differentiation of germ cells in XX mouse gonads occurs in an anterior-to-posterior wave. Dev Biol 262: 303–312. , , .
- 2003. Fibroblast growth factor receptor-1 mediates the inhibition of endothelial cell proliferation and the promotion of skeletal myoblast differentiation by SPARC: a role for protein kinase A. J Cell Biochem 90: 408–423. , , , , , , .
- 1998. SPARC deficiency leads to early-onset cataractogenesis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 39: 2674–2680. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cellular mechanisms of Mullerian duct formation in the mouse. Dev Biol 306: 493–504. , .
- 1992. The extracellular glycoprotein SPARC interacts with platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)-AB and -BB and inhibits the binding of PDGF to its receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 1281–1285. , , , , .
- 2006. The novel SPARC family member SMOC-2 potentiates angiogenic growth factor activity. J Biol Chem 281: 22855–22864. , , , , .
- 1995. Mice deficient in the orphan receptor steroidogenic factor 1 lack adrenal glands and gonads but express P450 side-chain-cleavage enzyme in the placenta and have normal embryonic serum levels of corticosteroids. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 10939–10943. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Developmental defects of the ventromedial hypothalamic nucleus and pituitary gonadotroph in the Ftz-F1 disrupted mice. Dev Dyn 204: 22–29. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Purmorphamine activates the Hedgehog pathway by targeting Smoothened. Nat Chem Biol 2: 29–30. , .
- 1994. Epithelial transformation of metanephric mesenchyme in the developing kidney regulated by Wnt-4. Nature 372: 679–683. , , , .
- 2000. FOG-2, a cofactor for GATA transcription factors, is essential for heart morphogenesis and development of coronary vessels from epicardium. Cell 101: 729–739. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Gonadal differentiation, sex determination and normal Sry expression in mice require direct interaction between transcription partners GATA4 and FOG2. Development 129: 4627–4634. , , , , , .
- 2009. Xenopus SMOC-1 Inhibits bone morphogenetic protein signaling downstream of receptor binding and is essential for postgastrulation development in Xenopus. J Biol Chem 284: 18994–19005. , , , .
- 1999. Female development in mammals is regulated by Wnt-4 signalling. Nature 397: 405–409. , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization of SMOC-1, a novel modular calcium-binding protein in basement membranes. J Biol Chem 277: 37977–37986. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Characterization of SMOC-2, a modular extracellular calcium-binding protein. Biochem J 373: 805–814. , , , , .
- 2006. The matricellular protein SPARC is internalized in Sertoli, Leydig, and germ cells during testis differentiation. Mol Reprod Dev 73: 531–539. , , .
- 2004. Purmorphamine induces osteogenesis by activation of the hedgehog signaling pathway. Chem Biol 11: 1229–1238. , , , , .
- 2002. Desert Hedgehog/Patched 1 signaling specifies fetal Leydig cell fate in testis organogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 1433– 1440. , , .
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog regulates proliferation and differentiation of mesenchymal cells in the mouse metanephric kidney. Development 129: 5301–5312. , , .