Patterns & Phenotypes
Whole genome microarray analysis of chicken embryo facial prominences
Article first published online: 25 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 2, pages 574–591, February 2010
How to Cite
Buchtová, M., Kuo, W. P., Nimmagadda, S., Benson, S. L., Geetha-Loganathan, P., Logan, C., Au-Yeung, T., Chiang, E., Fu, K. and Richman, J. M. (2010), Whole genome microarray analysis of chicken embryo facial prominences. Dev. Dyn., 239: 574–591. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22135
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 25 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 SEP 2009
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Number: MOP49431
- the Grant Agency of Czech Republic. Grant Number: 304/09/0725
- 2006. The calmodulin pathway and evolution of elongated beak morphology in Darwin's finches. Nature 442: 563–567. , , , , , .
- 2004. Bmp4 and morphological variation of beaks in Darwin's finches. Science 305: 1462–1465. , , , , .
- 2003. Excess FoxG1 causes overgrowth of the neural tube. J Neurobiol 57: 337–349. , , .
- 2002. Endogenous bone morphogenetic proteins regulate outgrowth and epithelial survival during avian lip fusion. Development 129: 4647–4660. , , .
- 2004. MAB21L2, a vertebrate member of the Male-abnormal 21 family, modulates BMP signaling and interacts with SMAD1. BMC Cell Biol 5: 48. , , , , .
- 2005. Vascular endothelial growth factor D is dispensable for development of the lymphatic system. Mol Cell Biol 25: 2441–2449. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Spalt4 mediates invagination and otic placode gene expression in cranial ectoderm. Development 134: 3805–3814. , .
- 2000. SOX8 expression during chick embryogenesis. Mech Dev 94: 257–260. , , .
- 2003. Sp8 is crucial for limb outgrowth and neuropore closure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 12195–12200. , , , , , .
- 2007. The coding region of TP53INP2, a gene expressed in the developing nervous system, is not altered in a family with autosomal recessive non-progressive infantile ataxia on chromosome 20q11-q13. Dev Dyn 236: 843–852. , , , , .
- 2008. Sonic hedgehog signalling from foregut endoderm patterns the avian nasal capsule. Development 135: 2221–2225. , , , , .
- 2001. Expression patterns of group-I aristaless-related genes during craniofacial and limb development. Mech Dev 107: 163–167. , .
- 2002. Jaw transformation with gain of symmetry after Dlx5/Dlx6 inactivation: mirror of the past? Genesis 34: 221–227. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Retinoic acid signalling centres in the avian embryo identified by sites of expression of synthesising and catabolising enzymes. Dev Dyn 227: 114–127. , , .
- 1998. Expression of the SOX10 gene during human development. FEBS Lett 432: 168–172. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression pattern of cSix3, a member of the Six/sine oculis family of transcription factors. Mech Dev 70: 201–203. , , , .
- 2002. Craniofacial expression of human and murine TBX22 correlates with the cleft palate and ankyloglossia phenotype observed in CPX patients. Hum Mol Genet 11: 2793–2804. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. An early role for sonic hedgehog from foregut endoderm in jaw development: ensuring neural crest cell survival. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103: 11607–11612. , , .
- 2008. Induction of mirror-image supernumerary jaws in chicken mandibular mesenchyme by Sonic Hedgehog-producing cells. Development 135: 2311–2319. , , .
- 1997. Alterations in Msx 1 and Msx 2 expression correlate with inhibition of outgrowth of chick facial primordia induced by retinoic acid. Anat Embryol (Berl) 195: 203–207. , , , .
- 2003. Microarray analysis of murine palatogenesis: temporal expression of genes during normal palate development. Dev Growth Differ 45: 153–165. , , , , , .
- 2003. Bhlhb5 is expressed in the CNS and sensory organs during mouse embryonic development. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 755–759. , , .
- 2000. MAEG, an EGF-repeat containing gene, is a new marker associated with dermatome specification and morphogenesis of its derivatives. Mech Dev 98: 179–182. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Craniofacial development in the talpid3 chicken mutant. Differentiation 72: 348–362. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Gene expression in pharyngeal arch 1 during human embryonic development. Hum Mol Genet 14: 903–912. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Control of vertebrate limb outgrowth by the proximal factor Meis2 and distal antagonism of BMPs by Gremlin. Mol Cell 4: 839–849. , , , , .
- 1999. Mash1 regulates neurogenesis in the ventral telencephalon. Development 126: 525–534. , , .
- 1993. The triple origin of skull in higher vertebrates: a study in quail-chick chimeras. Development 117: 409–429. , , .
- 2005. Patterning the neural crest derivatives during development of the vertebrate head: insights from avian studies. J Anat 207: 447–459. , , .
- 1983. Contributions of placodal and neural crest cells to avian cranial peripheral ganglia. Am J Anat 166: 445–468. , .
- 1999. Expression of retinoic acid 4-hydroxylase (CYP26) during mouse and Xenopus laevis embryogenesis. Mech Dev 82: 205–211. , , , , , .
- 2002. Specification of jaw subdivisions by Dlx genes. Science 298: 381–385. , , .
- 2005. Reassessing the Dlx code: the genetic regulation of branchial arch skeletal pattern and development. J Anat 207: 501–561. , , , .
- 2006. 21st century neontology and the comparative development of the vertebrate skull. Dev Dyn 235: 1256–1291. , .
- 2001. Rhombomere interactions control the segmental differentiation of hindbrain neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci 18: 141–148. , , , .
- 2003. Genomic screen for genes involved in mammalian craniofacial development. Genesis 35: 73–87. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Cloning, sequencing and expression of the mouse mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 (MASH1). Biochim Biophys Acta 1171: 323–327. , , , .
- 1997. Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) as regulators of dorsal forebrain development. Development 124: 2203–2212. , , .
- 2009. Expression of WNT signalling pathway genes during chicken craniofacial development. Dev Dyn 238: 1150–1165. , , , , , , .
- GEISHA. The GEISHA database, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724; http://geisha.arizona.edu.
- 2002. A gene expression map of human chromosome 21 orthologues in the mouse. Nature 420: 586–590. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Mouse brain organization revealed through direct genome-scale TF expression analysis. Science 306: 2255–2257. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Expression patterns of the Tmem16 gene family during cephalic development in the mouse. Gene Expr Patterns 9: 178–191. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Dynamic expression of the murine Achaete-Scute homologue Mash-1 in the developing nervous system. Mech Dev 42: 171–185. , .
- 1993. Mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 is required for the early development of olfactory and autonomic neurons. Cell 75: 463–476. , , , , , .
- 2002. Cloning and expression analysis of the chick ortholog of TBX22, the gene mutated in X-linked cleft palate and ankyloglossia. Mech Dev 117: 321–325. , , , , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2007. Gene discovery in craniofacial development and disease—cashing in your chips. Clin Genet 71: 109–119. , , .
- 2008. Roles of FGFR3 during morphogenesis of Meckel's cartilage and mandibular bones. Dev Biol 316: 336–349. , , , , , .
- 2008. Expression and regulation of the decoy bone morphogenetic protein receptor BAMBI in the developing avian face. Dev Dyn 237: 1500–1508. , , .
- 2010. The function and regulation of TBX22 in avian frontonasal morphogenesis. Dev Dyn (in press). , , .
- 2005. A BMP-mediated transcriptional cascade involving Cash1 and Tlx-3 specifies first-order relay sensory neurons in the developing hindbrain. Mech Dev 122: 900–913. , , , , , .
- 2009. A SHH-responsive signaling center in the forebrain regulates craniofacial morphogenesis via the facial ectoderm. Development 136: 107–116. , .
- 2006. Expression and regulation of the LIM homeodomain gene L3/Lhx8 suggests a role in upper lip development of the chick embryo. Anat Embryol (Berl) 211: 247–253. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Differential expression of Eya1 and Eya2 during chick early embryonic development. Gene Expr Patterns 8: 357–367. , , , , .
- 2005. Microarray analysis detects differentially expressed genes in the pharyngeal region of mice lacking Tbx1. Dev Biol 285: 554–569. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. A chicken achaete-scute homolog (CASH-1) is expressed in a temporally and spatially discrete manner in the developing nervous system. Development 120: 769–783. , , , .
- 2005. Orofacial clefting: recent insights into a complex trait. Curr Opin Genet Dev 15: 270–278. , .
- 2004. Sp8 and Sp9, two closely related buttonhead-like transcription factors, regulate Fgf8 expression and limb outgrowth in vertebrate embryos. Development 131: 4763–4774. , , , , , .
- 2001a. Id4 expression and its relationship to other Id genes during avian embryonic development. Mech Dev 109: 341–345. , .
- 2001b. Temporally and spatially restricted expression of the helix-loop-helix transcriptional regulator Id1 during avian embryogenesis. Mech Dev 109: 331–335. , .
- 2008. The midline, oral ectoderm, and the arch-0 problem. Integr Comp Biol 48: 668–680. , .
- 2003. Endothelin 1-mediated regulation of pharyngeal bone development in zebrafish. Development 130: 1339–1351. , , , , .
- 2007. Morphing the hyomandibular skeleton in development and evolution. J Exp Zoolog B Mol Dev Evol 308: 609–624. , , .
- 2002. Congenital anomalies in Canada – a perinatal health report. Ottawa: Public Health Agency of Canada. p 1–68. , .
- 2004. Periostin is expressed within the developing teeth at the sites of epithelial-mesenchymal interaction. Dev Dyn 229: 857–868. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Cephalic neural crest cells and the evolution of craniofacial structures in vertebrates: morphological and embryological significance of the premandibular-mandibular boundary. Zoology (Jena) 108: 13–25. .
- 1978. Participation of neural crest-derived cells in the genesis of the skull in birds. J Embryol Exp Morphol 47: 17–37. .
- 2001. Noggin and retinoic acid transform the identity of avian facial prominences. Nature 414: 909–912. , , , .
- 2004. A new origin for the maxillary jaw. Dev Biol 276: 207–224. , , , , .
- 2009. Deficiency of vascular endothelial growth factor-D does not affect murine adipose tissue development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 378: 255–258. , , , .
- 2003. Genetic dissection of Pitx2 in craniofacial development uncovers new functions in branchial arch morphogenesis, late aspects of tooth morphogenesis and cell migration. Development 130: 6375–6385. , , , .
- 1991. Segmental origin and migration of neural crest cells in the hindbrain region of the chick embryo. Development 113: 1281–1291. , , .
- 2004. Upper beak truncation in chicken embryos with the cleft primary palate mutation is due to an epithelial defect in the frontonasal mass. Dev Dyn 230: 335–349. , , .
- 1998. Mab21, the mouse homolog of a C. elegans cell-fate specification gene, participates in cerebellar, midbrain and eye development. Mech Dev 79: 131–135. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Two murine and human homologs of mab-21, a cell fate determination gene involved in Caenorhabditis elegans neural development. Hum Mol Genet 8: 2397–2406. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Sox10 overexpression induces neural crest-like cells from all dorsoventral levels of the neural tube but inhibits differentiation. Dev Dyn 233: 430–444. , , , , .
- 2000. Opposing RA and FGF signals control proximodistal vertebrate limb development through regulation of Meis genes. Development 127: 3961–3970. , , , , , .
- 2000. sucker encodes a zebrafish Endothelin-1 required for ventral pharyngeal arch development. Development 127: 3815–3828. , , , , .
- 2001. Morphogenesis of the medial region of the developing mandible is regulated by multiple signaling pathways. Cells Tissues Organs 169: 295–301. .
- 1995. Experimental analysis of Msx-1 and Msx-2 gene expression during chick mandibular morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 202: 195–214. , , , , .
- 2006. Waking-up the sleeping beauty: recovery of the ancestral bird odontogenic program. J Exp Zoolog B Mol Dev Evol 306: 227–233. , , .
- 2002. Id: a target of BMP signaling. Sci STKE 2002: PE40. , .
- 1997. The expression of the mouse Zic1, Zic2, and Zic3 gene suggests an essential role for Zic genes in body pattern formation. Dev Biol 182: 299–313. , , , , , , .
- 1978. The control of avian cephalic neural crest cytodifferentiation. I. Skeletal and connective tissues. Dev Biol 67: 296–312. .
- 1995. Six3, a murine homologue of the sine oculis gene, demarcates the most anterior border of the developing neural plate and is expressed during eye development. Development 121: 4045–4055. , , , , , .
- 2004. Endothelin-1 regulates the dorsoventral branchial arch patterning in mice. Mech Dev 121: 387–395. , , , , .
- 2008. A function for the calponin family member NP25 in neurite outgrowth. Dev Biol 321: 434–443. , , , , , , .
- 1994. The identification of NP25: a novel protein that is differentially expressed by neuronal subpopulations. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 22: 173–185. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Epithelia are interchangeable between facial primordia of chick embryos and morphogenesis is controlled by the mesenchyme. Dev Biol 136: 201–210. , .
- 2002. Isolation and characterisation of the chick orthologue of the Opitz syndrome gene, Mid1, supports a conserved role in vertebrate development. Int J Dev Biol 46: 441–448. , , , , .
- 2008. Expression of TMEM16 paralogs during murine embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 237: 2566–2574. , .
- 2004. Endothelin-A receptor-dependent and -independent signaling pathways in establishing mandibular identity. Development 131: 4413–4423. , , , , .
- 2008. Hoxd13 binds in vivo and regulates the expression of genes acting in key pathways for early limb and skeletal patterning. Dev Biol 317: 497–507. , , , , .
- 2008. An endothelin-1 switch specifies maxillomandibular identity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105: 18806–18811. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. cDermo-1 expression indicates a role in avian skin development. Anat Embryol (Berl) 203: 1–7. , , .
- 2000. Cloning and characterisation of the Sry-related transcription factor gene Sox8. Nucleic Acids Res 28: 1473–1480. , , , .
- 2003. The cellular and molecular origins of beak morphology. Science 299: 565–568. , .
- 1999. Gata2 and Gata3: novel markers for early embryonic polarity and for non-neural ectoderm in the chick embryo. Mech Dev 87: 213–216. , .
- 1998. Expression of PACAP, and PACAP type 1 (PAC1) receptor mRNA during development of the mouse embryo. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 109: 245–253. , , , .
- 2003. Expression and role of Lhx8 in murine tooth development. Arch Histol Cytol 66: 95–108. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Ectodermally derived FGF8 defines the maxillomandibular region in the early chick embryo: epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the specification of the craniofacial ectomesenchyme. Dev Biol 228: 73–85. , , .
- 2005. A new evolutionary scenario for the vertebrate jaw. Bioessays 27: 331–338. , , .
- 2004. Control of retinoic acid synthesis and FGF expression in the nasal pit is required to pattern the craniofacial skeleton. Dev Biol 276: 313–329. , , , .
- 2006. The zic1 gene is expressed in chick somites but not in migratory neural crest. Gene Expr Patterns 6: 539–545. , .
- 2009. Novel skeletogenic patterning roles for the olfactory pit. Development 136: 219–229. , , , , , .
- 1998. A signaling cascade involving endothelin-1, dHAND and msx1 regulates development of neural-crest-derived branchial arch mesenchyme. Development 125: 3005– 3014. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Otx2 is required to respond to signals from anterior neural ridge for forebrain specification. Dev Biol 242: 204–223. , , , , .
- 2002. Role of the isthmus and FGFs in resolving the paradox of neural crest plasticity and prepatterning. Science 295: 1288–1291. , , .
- 1999. Cre-mediated gene inactivation demonstrates that FGF8 is required for cell survival and patterning of the first branchial arch. Genes Dev 13: 3136–3148. , , , , .
- 1999. Fgf-8 determines rostral-caudal polarity in the first branchial arch. Development 126: 51–61. , , , , .
- 1995. Embryonic expression of the chicken Sox2, Sox3 and Sox11 genes suggests an interactive role in neuronal development. Mech Dev 49: 23–36. , , , , , , .
- 2004. GenePaint.org: an atlas of gene expression patterns in the mouse embryo. Nucleic Acids Res 32: D552–D556. , , .
- 2001. Comparative studies on the expression patterns of three troponin T genes during mouse development. Anat Rec 263: 72–84. , , , , .
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of chondrolectin (Chodl), a novel C-type lectin predominantly expressed in muscle cells. Gene 308: 21–29. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of fibroblast growth factor receptors (FGFR1, FGFR2, FGFR3) in the developing head and face. Dev Dyn 210: 41–52. , , , .
- 1999. Developmental expression of Mab21l2 during mouse embryogenesis. Mech Dev 87: 185–188. , , .
- 2003. Cell-autonomous involvement of Mab21l1 is essential for lens placode development. Development 130: 1759–1770. , , , , , .
- 2003. Targeted deletion of a branchial arch-specific enhancer reveals a role of dHAND in craniofacial development. Development 130: 1069–1078. , , , , .
- 2002. Comparison of the expression patterns of two LIM-homeodomain genes, Lhx6 and L3/Lhx8, in the developing palate. Orthod Craniofac Res 5: 65–70. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Isolated cleft palate in mice with a targeted mutation of the LIM homeobox gene lhx8. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96: 15002–15006. , , , , , , , .