Drs. Fotaki, Larralde, and Zeng contributed equally to this work.
Special Issue Research Article
Loss of Wnt8b has no overt effect on hippocampus development but leads to altered Wnt gene expression levels in dorsomedial telencephalon
Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Issue on WNT Signaling in Development and Disease
Volume 239, Issue 1, pages 284–296, January 2010
How to Cite
Fotaki, V., Larralde, O., Zeng, S., McLaughlin, D., Nichols, J., Price, D. J., Theil, T. and Mason, J. O. (2010), Loss of Wnt8b has no overt effect on hippocampus development but leads to altered Wnt gene expression levels in dorsomedial telencephalon. Dev. Dyn., 239: 284–296. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22137
- Issue online: 15 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 SEP 2009
- China Scholarship Council (CSC)
- BBSRC, MRC, and the Wellcome Trust
- 2001. LIM-homeodomain gene Lhx2 regulates the formation of the cortical hem. Mech Dev 100: 165–175. , , , .
- 2005. WNTs in the vertebrate nervous system: from patterning to neuronal connectivity. Nat Rev Neurosci 6: 351–362. , .
- 1995. Identification of distinct classes and functional domains of Wnts through expression of wild-type and chimeric proteins in Xenopus embryos. Mol Cell Biol 15: 2625–2634. , , , , .
- 2007. Distinct but redundant expression of the Frizzled Wnt receptor genes at signaling centers of the developing mouse brain. Neuroscience 147: 693–711. , , . .
- 2002. Dyrk1A haploinsufficiency affects viability and causes developmental delay and abnormal brain morphology in mice. Mol Cell Biol 18: 6636–6647. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Abnormal positioning of diencephalic cell types in neocortical tissue in the dorsal telencephalon of mice lacking functional Gli3. J Neurosci 26: 9282–9292. , , , , .
- 1997. The mouse brain in stereotaxic coordinates. 2nd ed. San Diego: Academic Press. p 186. , .
- 1994. Regulation of the POU domain gene SCIP during cerebral cortical development. J Neurosci 14: 472–485. , , , .
- 2000. Hippocampus development and generation of dentate gyrus granule cells is regulated by LEF1. Development 127: 469–482. , , , , .
- 2002. Expression patterns of Wnt8b and Wnt7b in the chicken embryonic brain suggest a correlation with forebrain patterning centers and morphogenesis. Neuroscience 113: 689–698. , , , .
- 1998. The hem of the embryonic cerebral cortex is defined by the expression of multiple Wnt genes and is compromised in Gli3-deficient mice. Development 125: 2315–2325. , , , , .
- 1997. Wnt signalling required for expansion of neural crest and CNS progenitors. Nature 389: 966–970. , , , , .
- 2002. Wnt/beta-catenin/Tcf signaling induces the transcription of Axin2, a negative regulator of the signaling pathway. Mol Cell Biol 22: 1172–1183. , , , , , .
- 2001. Wnt receptors and Wnt inhibitors are expressed in gradients in the developing telencephalon. Mech Dev 103: 167–172. , , .
- 2005. Emx2 and Pax6 function in cooperation with Otx2 and Otx1 to develop caudal forebrain primordium that includes future archipallium. J Neurosci 25: 5097–5108. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A novel mammalian wnt gene, WNT8B, shows brain-restricted expression in early development, with sharply delimited expression boundaries in the developing forebrain. Hum Mol Genet 7: 813–822. , , , , , .
- 2000. A local Wnt-3a signal is required for development of the mammalian hippocampus. Development 127: 457–467. , , , .
- 2006. Canonical Wnt signaling through Lef1 is required for hypothalamic neurogenesis. Development 133: 4451–4461. , , , .
- 2009. Development of neural circuits in the adult hippocampus. Curr Top Dev Biol 87: 149–174. , , .
- 2005. Wnt signalling regulates adult hippocampal neurogenesis. Nature 437: 1370–1375. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The Wnt signaling pathway in development and disease. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 20: 781–810. , .
- 2003. Role of beta-catenin in the developing cortical and hippocampal neuroepithelium. Neuroscience 122: 129–143. , , , , .
- 2007. A dynamic gradient of Wnt signaling controls initiation of neurogenesis in the mammalian cortex and cellular specification in the hippocampus. Dev Biol 311: 223–237. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Lhx2 selector activity specifies cortical identity and suppresses hippocampal organizer fate. Science 319: 304–309. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Mutational analysis of mouse Wnt-1 identifies two temperature-sensitive alleles and attributes of Wnt-1 protein essential for transformation of a mammary cell line. Mol Biol Cell 3: 521–533. , , .
- 2003. Specific modification of heparan sulphate is required for normal cerebral cortical development. Mech Dev 120: 1481–1488. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. The Wnt-1 (int-1) proto-oncogene is required for development of a large region of the mouse brain. Cell 62: 1073–1085. , .
- 2006. Purified Wnt5a protein activates or inhibits beta-catenin-TCF signaling depending on receptor context. PLoS Biol 4: e115. , .
- 2008. Expression profiles of Wnt genes during neural differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells. Cloning Stem Cells 10: 37–48. , , .
- 1993. Prox 1, a prospero-related homeobox gene expressed during mouse development. Mech Dev 44: 3–16. , , , , , .
- 1994. Regulated expression of Wnt family members during proliferation of C57mg mammary cells. Cell Growth Differ 5: 197–206. , .
- 1999. Mouse Wnt8b is expressed in the developing forebrain and maps to chromosome 19. Mamm Genome 10: 923–925. , , , .
- 1997. Expression of murine Lhx5 suggests a role in specifying the forebrain. Dev Dyn 208: 266–277. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Transformation by Wnt family proteins correlates with regulation of beta-catenin. Cell Growth Differ 8: 1349–1358. , , , , , .
- 2004. Emx1 and Emx2 cooperate in initial phase of archipallium development. Mech Dev 121: 475–489. , , , , .
- 1997a Interaction of Wnt and a Frizzled homologue triggers G-protein-linked phosphatidylinositol signalling. Nature 390: 410–413. , , .
- 1997b Modulation of embryonic intracellular Ca2+ signaling by Wnt-5A. Dev Biol 182: 114–120. , , , .
- 2008. Effect of canonical Wnt inhibition in the neurogenic cortex, hippocampus, and premigratory dentate gyrus progenitor pool. Dev Dyn 237: 1799–1811. , , .
- 1994. Wnt-3a regulates somite and tailbud formation in the mouse embryo. Genes Dev 8: 174–189. , , , , , .
- 2005. Gli3 is required for the specification and differentiation of preplate neurons. Dev Biol 286: 559–571. .
- 2002. Wnt and Bmp signalling cooperatively regulate graded Emx2 expression in the dorsal telencephalon. Development 129: 3045–3054. , , , , .
- 1997. Early specification and autonomous development of cortical fields in the mouse hippocampus. Development 124: 4959–4970. , , .
- 2000. Dorsoventral patterning of the telencephalon is disrupted in the mouse mutant extra-toes(J). Dev Biol 217: 254– 265. , , .
- 2006. Knockout mouse models to study Wnt signal transduction. Trends Genet 221: 678– 689. , .
- 1994. Differential transformation of mammary epithelial cells by Wnt genes. Mol Cell Biol 14: 6278–6286. , , .
- 2009. Analysis of early telencephalic defects in mice lacking functional Gli3 protein. J Comp Neurol 512: 613–627. , , , .
- 2005. Hippocampal and visuospatial learning defects in mice with a deletion of frizzled 9, a gene in the Williams syndrome deletion interval. Development 132: 2917–2927. , , , , , .
- 2004. Wnt signaling mutants have decreased dentate granule cell production and radial glial scaffolding abnormalities. J Neurosci. 24: 121–126. , , .