Patterns & Phenotypes
Muscleblind-like 1 is a negative regulator of TGF-β-dependent epithelial–mesenchymal transition of atrioventricular canal endocardial cells
Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 238, Issue 12, pages 3266–3272, December 2009
How to Cite
Vajda, N. A., Brimacombe, K. R., LeMasters, K. E. and Ladd, A. N. (2009), Muscleblind-like 1 is a negative regulator of TGF-β-dependent epithelial–mesenchymal transition of atrioventricular canal endocardial cells. Dev. Dyn., 238: 3266–3272. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22155
- Issue online: 18 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2009
- March of Dimes. Grant Number: 5-FY05-1226
- American Heart Association. Grant Number: O865420D
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: 1R01HL089376
- 1982. Migratory behavior of cardiac cushion tissue cells in a collagen-lattice culture system. Dev Biol 91: 235–245. , .
- 2007. Cloning and embryonic expression patterns of the chicken CELF family. Dev Dyn 236: 2216–2224. , .
- 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 162: 156–159. , .
- 2009. RNA and disease. Cell 136: 777–793. , , .
- 2002. Three proteins, MBNL, MBLL and MBXL, co-localize in vivo with nuclear foci of expanded-repeat transcripts in DM1 and DM2 cells. Hum Mol Genet 11: 805–814. , , , , , , .
- 1992. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. 1951. Dev Dyn 195: 231–272. , .
- 2008. A postnatal switch of CELF and MBNL proteins reprograms alternative splicing in the developing heart. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 20333– 20338. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Developmental expression of mouse muscleblind genes Mbnl1, Mbnl2 and Mbnl3. Gene Expr Patterns 3: 459–462. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The CELF family of RNA binding proteins is implicated in cell-specific and developmentally regulated alternative splicing. Mol Cell Biol 21: 1285–1296. , , .
- 2005a. A dynamic balance between activation and repression regulates pre-mRNA alternative splicing during heart development. Dev Dyn 233: 783–793. , , , .
- 2005b. Cardiac-specific repression of CELF activity disrupts alternative splicing and causes cardiomyopathy. Mol Cell Biol 25: 6267–6278. , , , , .
- 2007. Multiple transforming growth factor-beta isoforms and receptors function during epithelial-mesenchymal cell transformation in the embryonic heart. Cells Tissues Organs 185: 146–156. , .
- 1987. Myocardial specificity for initiating endothelial-mesenchymal cell transition in embryonic chick heart correlates with a particulate distribution of fibronectin. Dev Biol 119: 59–67. , , .
- 2000. Mechanisms involved in valvuloseptal endocardial cushion formation in early cardiogenesis: roles of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta and bone morphogenetic protein (BMP). Anat Rec 258: 119–127. , , , .
- 2008. Deep surveying of alternative splicing complexity in the human transcriptome by high-throughput sequencing. Nat Genet 40: 1413–1415. , , , , .
- 2006. The Muscleblind family of proteins: an emerging class of regulators of developmentally programmed alternative splicing. Differentiation 74: 65–80. , , , .
- 2005. Cell biology of cardiac cushion development. Int Rev Cytol 243: 287–335. , , .
- 2007. Genetic basis for congenital heart defects: current knowledge: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Congenital Cardiac Defects Committee, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young: endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Circulation 115: 3015–3038. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Slug is an essential target of TGFbeta2 signaling in the developing chicken heart. Dev Biol 223: 91–102. , .
- 2008. ROCK1 expression is regulated by TGFbeta3 and ALK2 during valvuloseptal endocardial cushion formation. Anat Rec 291: 845–857. , , , , , .
- 2004. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 can mediate myocardial regulation of atrioventricular cushion mesenchymal cell formation in mice. Dev Biol 269: 505–518. , , , .
- 2008. Alternative isoform regulation in human tissue transcriptomes. Nature 456: 470–476. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Cardiac endothelial heterogeneity defines valvular development as demonstrated by the diverse expression of JB3, an antigen of the endocardial cushion tissue. Dev Biol 165: 585–601. , , .
- 1999. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 acts synergistically with transforming growth factor-beta3 during endothelial-mesenchymal transformation in the developing chick heart. J Cell Physiol 180: 35–45. , , , .