Fusion of uniluminal vascular spheroids: A model for assembly of blood vessels
Article first published online: 13 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 2, pages 398–406, February 2010
How to Cite
Fleming, P. A., Argraves, W. S., Gentile, C., Neagu, A., Forgacs, G. and Drake, C. J. (2010), Fusion of uniluminal vascular spheroids: A model for assembly of blood vessels. Dev. Dyn., 239: 398–406. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22161
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 13 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2009
- NIH. Grant Numbers: HL57375, HL80168, HL061873, HL095067
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: EEC-0244045 and FIBR-0526854
- 2000. Cell sorting is analogous to phase ordering in fluids. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 9467–9471. , , .
- 1988. A survey by scanning electron microscopy of the extracellular matrix and endothelial components of the primordial chick heart. Anat Rec 222: 391–400. , .
- 1995. Exogenous vascular endothelial growth factor induces malformed and hyperfused vessels during embryonic neovascularization. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 7657–7661. , .
- 1997. TAL1/SCL is expressed in endothelial progenitor cells/angioblasts and defines a dorsal-to-ventral gradient of vasculogenesis. Dev Biol 192: 17–30. , , , .
- 2006. Elevated vascular endothelial cell growth factor affects mesocardial morphogenesis and inhibits normal heart bending. Dev Dyn 235: 10–18. , , , .
- 2007. Vascular progenitor cells isolated from human embryonic stem cells give rise to endothelial and smooth muscle like cells and form vascular networks in vivo. Circ Res 101: 286–294. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Fashioning the vertebrate heart: earliest embryonic decisions. Development 124: 2099–2117. , .
- 2007. Relating biophysical properties across scales. Curr Top Dev Biol 81: 320–328. , , , , .
- 1998. Viscoelastic properties of living embryonic tissues: a quantitative study. Biophys J 74: 2227–2234. , , , .
- 2005. The differential adhesion hypothesis: a direct evaluation. Dev Biol 278: 255–263. , .
- 1994. Liquid properties of embryonic tissues: Measurement of interfacial tensions. Phys Rev Lett 72: 2298–2301. , , , .
- 1996. Surface tensions of embryonic tissues predict their mutual envelopment behavior. Development 122: 1611–1620. , , , .
- 1945. Viscous flow of crystalline bodies under the action of surface tension. J Physics (USSR) 9: 385–391. .
- 2008. VEGF-mediated fusion in the generation of uniluminal vascular spheroids. Dev Dyn 237: 2918–2925. , , , , , .
- 1993. Simulation of the differential adhesion driven rearrangement of biological cells. Phys Rev E Stat Phys Plasmas Fluids Relat Interdis Topics 47: 2128–2154. , .
- 1972. A rheological mechanism sufficient to explain the kinetics of cell sorting. J Theor Biol 37: 43–73. , , , .
- 1992. Simulation of biological cell sorting using a two-dimensional extended Potts model. Phys Rev Lett 69: 2013–2016. , .
- 2005. Antero-posterior patterning of the vertebrate digestive tract: 40 years after Nicole Le Douarin's PhD thesis. Int J Dev Biol 49: 335–347. .
- 1978. Liquid-tissue behavior and differential cohesiveness during chick limb budding. J Embryol Exp Morphol 47: 1–15. , , .
- 1996. Development of the aortic vessel wall as defined by vascular smooth muscle and extracellular matrix markers. 178: 375–392. , , , .
- 1997. Identification of a novel marker for primordial smooth muscle and its differential expression pattern in contractile vs noncontractile cells. J Cell Biol 137: 925–937. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Intermolecular and surface forces. London: Academic Press. .
- 2008. Relating cell and tissue mechanics: implications and applications. Dev Dyn 237: 2438–2449. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Engineering biological structures of prescribed shape using self-assembling multicellular systems. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 2864–2869. , , , , .
- 2006. Endothelial tubes assemble from intracellular vacuoles in vivo. Nature 442: 453–456. , , , , , .
- 2008. Tensile forces govern germ-layer organization in zebrafish. Nat Cell Biol 10: 429–436. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Role of laminin and basement membrane in the morphological differentiation of human endothelial cells into capillary-like structures. J Cell Biol 107: 1589–1598. , , , .
- 2002. Endothelial cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 4391–4396. , , , , .
- 1998. A completely biological tissue-engineered human blood vessel. Faseb J 12: 47–56. , , , , .
- 2006. Human tissue-engineered blood vessels for adult arterial revascularization. Nat Med 12: 361–365. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1953. Equation of state calculations by fast computing machines. J Chem Phys 1087–1092. , , , , .
- 1995. Quantitative comparison between differential adhesion models and cell sorting in the presence and absence of fluctuations. Phys Rev Lett 75: 2244–2247. , , , .
- 1983. In vitro rapid organization of endothelial cells into capillary-like networks is promoted by collagen matrices. J Cell Biol 97: 1648–1652. , , .
- 2005. Role of physical mechanisms in biological self-organization. Phys Rev Lett 95: 178104. , , , .
- 1999. Functional arteries grown in vitro. Science 284: 489. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Embryonic origins and assembly of blood vessels. Am Rev Respir Dis 140: 1097–1103. .
- 2009. Scaffold-free vascular tissue engineering using bioprinting. Biomaterials 30: 5910–5917. , , , .
- 2006. Tissue fusion and cell sorting in embryonic development and disease: biomedical implications. Bioessays 28: 809–821. , .
- 2006. In vitro self-assembly of proepicardial cell aggregates: an embryonic vasculogenic model for vascular tissue engineering. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288: 700–713. , , , , , .
- 1988. Developmental angiogenesis: quail embryonic vasculature. Scan Microsc 2: 443–448. , .
- 2008. Quantitative differences in tissue surface tension influence zebrafish germ layer positioning. HSFP J 2 42–56. , , , , , .
- 1963. Reconstruction of tissues by dissociated cells. Some morphogenetic tissue movements and the sorting out of embryonic cells may have a common explanation. Science 141: 401–408. .
- 1970. Does differential adhesion govern self-assembly processes in histogenesis? Equilibrium configurations and the emergence of a hierarchy among populations of embryonic cells. J Exp Zool 173: 395–433. .
- 2007. Differential adhesion in morphogenesis: a modern view. Curr Opin Genet Dev 17: 281–286. .
- 1994. Experimental specification of cell sorting, tissue spreading, and specific spatial patterning by quantitative differences in cadherin expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91: 206–209. , .
- 2001. Tissue-engineered vascular autograft: inferior vena cava replacement in a dog model. Tissue Eng 7: 429–439. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. A blood vessel model constructed from collagen and cultured vascular cells. Science 231: 397–400. , .