Sinusoid development and morphogenesis may be stimulated by VEGF-Flk-1 signaling during fetal mouse liver development
Version of Record online: 13 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 2, pages 386–397, February 2010
How to Cite
Sugiyama, Y., Takabe, Y., Nakakura, T., Tanaka, S., Koike, T. and Shiojiri, N. (2010), Sinusoid development and morphogenesis may be stimulated by VEGF-Flk-1 signaling during fetal mouse liver development. Dev. Dyn., 239: 386–397. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22162
- Issue online: 22 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 13 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 OCT 2009
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare of Japan. Grant Number: 17C-4
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan. Grant Number: 19570203
- Sumitomo Foundation. Grant Number: 060110
- 2005. VEGF is crucial for the hepatic vascular development required for lipoprotein uptake. Development 132: 3293–3303. , , , , , .
- 1992. The fms-like tyrosine kinase, a receptor for vascular endothelial growth factor. Science 255: 989–991. , , , , , .
- 1963. The embryonic liver. In: RouillerC, editor. The liver, morphology, biochemistry, physiology. New York: Academic Press. p. 1–39. .
- 1989. Pituitary follicular cells secrete a novel heparin-binding growth factor specific for vascular endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 161: 851–858. , .
- 1996. Heterozygous embryonic lethality induced by targeted inactivation of the VEGF gene. Nature 380: 439–442. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Role of the Flt-1 receptor tyrosine kinase in regulating the assembly of vascular endothelium. Nature 376: 66–70. , , , .
- 1999. VEGF is required for growth and survival in neonatal mice. Development 126: 1149–1159. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. VEGF guides angiogenic sprouting utilizing endothelial tip cell filopodia. J Cell Biol 161: 1163–1177. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Relationship between vascular development and vascular differentiation during liver organogenesis in humans. J Hepatol 37: 730–740. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Simultaneous observation of capillary nets and tenascin in intestinal villi. Anat Rec 250: 488–492. , , .
- 1981. A simple method of reducing the fading of immunofluorescence during microscopy. J Immunol Methods 43: 349–350. ,
- 1999. Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor KDR tyrosine kinase activity is increased by autophosphorylation of two activation loop tyrosine residues. J Biol Chem 274: 6453–6460. , , , , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 2001. Liver organogenesis promoted by endothelial cells prior to vascular function. Science 294: 559–563. , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of the sinusoidal endothelial cell organization during the developmental stage of the fetal rat liver using a sinusoidal endothelial cell specific antibody, SE-1. Cell Struct Funct 23: 341–348. , , , , , .
- 2006. Gene expression of vascular endothelial growth factor-A in the pituitary during formation of the vascular system in the hypothalamic-pituitary axis of the rat. Cell Tissue Res 324: 87–95. , , , , .
- 2002. Purification of fetal mouse hepatoblasts by magnetic beads coated with monoclonal anti-E-cadherin antibodies and their in vitro culture. Exp Cell Res 279: 330–343. , , , .
- 2007. Development of murine hepatic sinusoidal endothelial cells characterized by the expression of hyaluronan receptors. Dev Dyn 236: 2258–2267. , , , .
- 2006. VEGF receptor signalling in control of vascular function. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 7: 359–571. , , , .
- 2008. VEGF receptor protein-tyrosine kinases: structure and regulation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 375: 287–291. .
- 2001. Sinusoidal endothelial cell proliferation and expression of angiopoietin/Tie family in regenerating rat liver. J Hepatol 34: 690–698. , , , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of factors controlling angiogenesis in liver development: a role for PEDF in the formation and maintenance of normal vasculature. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 325: 408–413. , , , , , .
- 1972. A morphological study of the development of the human liver. II Establishment of liver parenchyma, extrahepatic ducts and associated venous channels. Am J Anat 133: 85–108. .
- 1995. Failure of blood-island formation and vasculogenesis in Flk-1-deficient mice. Nature 376: 62–66. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Differential roles of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-1 and receptor-2 in angiogenesis. J Biochem Mol Biol 39: 469–478. .
- 2006. Signal transduction by VEGF receptors in regulation of angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesis. Exp Cell Res 312: 549–560. , .
- 1990. Nucleotide sequence and expression of a novel human receptor-type tyrosine kinase gene (flt) closely related to the fms family. Oncogene 5: 519–524. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Vascular endothelial growth factor secreted by replicating hepatocytes induces sinusoidal endothelial cell proliferation during regeneration after partial hepatectomy in rats. J Hepatol 34: 683–689. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Vascular endothelial growth factor and angiopoietins regulate sinusoidal regeneration and remodeling after partial hepatectomy in rats. World J Gastroenterol 11: 7254–7260. . , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Immunolocalization of extracellular matrix components and integrins during mouse liver development. Hepatology 40: 346–355. , .
- 2006. Preferential expression of connexin37 and connexin40 in the endothelium of the portal veins during mouse liver development. Cell Tissue Res 324: 547–552. , , , .
- 2007. Immunohistochemical analyses of cell-cell interactions during hepatic organoid formation from fetal mouse liver cells cultured in vitro. Histochem Cell Biol 128: 521–531. , , .
- 1997. The 230 kDa mature form of KDR/Flk-1 (VEGF receptor-2) activates the PLC-gamma pathway and partially induces mitotic signals in NIH3T3 fibroblasts. Oncogene 14: 2079–2089. , .
- 2007. Involvement of signaling of VEGF and TGF-beta in differentiation of sinusoidal endothelial cells during culture of fetal rat liver cells. Cell Tissue Res 329: 273–282. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Tyrosine residues 951 and 1059 of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 (KDR) are essential for vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factor-induced endothelium migration and proliferation, respectively. J Biol Chem 276: 32714–32719. , , .