Patterns & Phenotypes
Calmin expression in embryos and the adult brain, and its regulation by all-trans retinoic acid
Article first published online: 11 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 2, pages 610–619, February 2010
How to Cite
Marzinke, M. A., Henderson, E. M., Yang, K. S., See, A. W.-M., Knutson, D. C. and Clagett-Dame, M. (2010), Calmin expression in embryos and the adult brain, and its regulation by all-trans retinoic acid. Dev. Dyn., 239: 610–619. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22171
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 11 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 OCT 2009
- 2002. Gene expression regulation by retinoic acid. J Lipid Res 43: 1773–1808. , .
- 1999. Differential distribution of retinoic acid synthesis in the chicken embryo as determined by immunolocalization of the retinoic acid synthetic enzyme, RALDH-2. Dev Biol 210: 288– 304. , , , .
- 1996. A decade of molecular biology of retinoic acid receptors. FASEB J 10: 940–954. .
- 1998. An essential role for retinoid receptors RARbeta and RXRgamma in long-term potentiation and depression. Neuron 21: 1353–1361. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The role of vitamin A in mammalian reproduction and embryonic development. Annu Rev Nutr 22: 347–381. , .
- 1997. Retinoid-regulated gene expression in neural development. Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr 7: 299–342. , .
- 1993. Identification and characterization of all-trans-retinoic acid receptor transcripts and receptor protein in human neuroblastoma cells. Arch Biochem Biophys 300: 684–693. , , , .
- 2005. Regulation of proliferation during central nervous system development. Semin Cell Dev Biol 16: 407–421. , .
- 2008. Retinoic acid synthesis and signaling during early organogenesis. Cell 134: 921–931. .
- 1997. Mosaics of islet-1-expressing amacrine cells assembled by short-range cellular interactions. J Neurosci 17: 7831–7838. , , , .
- 2002. Functional plasticity of CH domains. FEBS Lett 513: 98–106. , , , .
- 1995. Presence of isl-1-related LIM domain homeobox genes in teleost and their similar patterns of expression in brain and spinal cord. J Biol Chem 270: 3335–3345. , , .
- 2005. Cellular and molecular control of neurogenesis in the mammalian telencephalon. Curr Opin Cell Biol 17: 639–647. .
- 2001. Calmin, a protein with calponin homology and transmembrane domains expressed in maturing spermatogenic cells. Genomics 74: 172–179. , , , .
- 2004. Retinoic acid signaling in the brain marks formation of optic projections, maturation of the dorsal telencephalon, and function of limbic sites. J Comp Neurol 470: 297–316. , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of retinoic acid signaling in the embryonic nervous system: a master differentiation factor. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 11: 233–249. , .
- 2004. All-trans retinoic acid-responsive genes identified in the human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cell line and their regulated expression in the nervous system of early embryos. Biol Chem 385: 605–614. , , , , , .
- 2002. Novel retinoic acid generating activities in the neural tube and heart identified by conditional rescue of Raldh2 null mutant mice. Development 129: 2271–2282. , , , and .
- 2001. Vitamin A deprivation results in reversible loss of hippocampal long-term synaptic plasticity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 11714–11719. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Requirement of mesodermal retinoic acid generated by Raldh2 for posterior neural transformation. Mech Dev 122: 145–155. , , , and .
- 1989. Separation and identification of retinoic photoisomers. J Chromatogr 481: 255–262. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Restricted expression and retinoic acid-induced downregulation of the retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (RALDH-2) gene during mouse development. Mech Dev 62: 67–78. , , , , .
- 1999. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is essential for early mouse post-implantation development. Nat Genet 21: 444–448. , , , .
- 2003. Basic helix-loop-helix factors in cortical development. Neuron 39: 13–25. , , .
- 2000. The Ki-67 protein: from the known and the unknown. J Cell Physiol 182: 311–322. , .
- 2008. A nutritional model of late embryonic vitamin A deficiency produces defects in organogenesis at a high penetrance and reveals new roles for the vitamin in skeletal development. Dev Biol 316: 171–190. , , , .
- 1999. Complementary domains of retinoic acid production and degradation in the early chick embryo. Dev Biol 216: 282–296. , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of calmin, a novel developmentally regulated brain protein with calponin-homology domains. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 112: 146–152. , , , , .
- 1998. Defects in embryonic hindbrain development and fetal resorption resulting from vitamin A deficiency in the rat are prevented by feeding pharmacological levels of all-trans-retinoic acid. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 13459–13464. , , , , , .
- 2000. Vitamin A deficiency results in the dose-dependent acquisition of anterior character and shortening of the caudal hindbrain of the rat embryo. Dev Biol 220: 263– 284. , , , .
- 2002. NUANCE, a giant protein connecting the nucleus and actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Sci 115: 3207–3222. , , , , .