Survival of Hoxa13 homozygous mutants reveals a novel role in digit patterning and appendicular skeletal development
Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 2, pages 446–457, February 2010
How to Cite
Perez, W. D., Weller, C. R., Shou, S. and Stadler, H. S. (2010), Survival of Hoxa13 homozygous mutants reveals a novel role in digit patterning and appendicular skeletal development. Dev. Dyn., 239: 446–457. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22183
- Issue online: 22 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 OCT 2009
- Shriners Hospital for Children. Grant Number: 85800
- 2008. Control of chondrogenesis by the transcription factor Sox9. Mod Rheumatol 18: 213–219. .
- 2002. The transcription factor Sox9 has essential roles in successive steps of the chondrocyte differentiation pathway and is required for expression of Sox5 and Sox6. Genes Dev 16: 2813–2828. , , , , .
- 2005. Osteo-chondroprogenitor cells are derived from Sox9 expressing precursors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 14665–14670. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Cellular aspects of cartilage differentiation and morphogenesis. In: KempR, HinchliffeJR, editors. Matrices and differentiation. New York: A.R. Liss. 480. , , .
- 2007. Visualization of cartilage formation: insight into cellular properties of skeletal progenitors and chondrodysplasia syndromes. Dev Cell 12: 931–941. , .
- 2000. Combinatorial signaling through BMP receptor IB and GDF5: shaping of the distal mouse limb and the genetics of distal limb diversity. Development 127: 605–619. , , .
- 1995. Hox genes and the evolution of vertebrate axial morphology. Development 121: 333–346. , , , .
- 1996. Hoxa-13 and Hoxd-13 play a crucial role in the patterning of the limb autopod. Development 122: 2997–3011. , , , , , .
- 2006. Plgf−. −eNos−/− mice show defective angiogenesis associated with increased oxidative stress in response to tissue ischemia. FASEB J 20: 970–972. , , , , .
- 2000. Novel HOXA13 mutations and the phenotypic spectrum of hand-foot-genital syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 67: 197–202. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mitosis-specific phosphorylation of histone H3 initiates primarily within pericentromeric heterochromatin during G2 and spreads in an ordered fashion coincident with mitotic chromosome condensation. Chromosoma 106: 348–360. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Vascular endothelial growth factor A (VEGF-A) is involved in guidance of VEGF receptor-positive cells to the anterior portion of early embryos. Mol Cell Biol 25: 355–363. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A HOXA13 allele with a missense mutation in the homeobox and a dinucleotide deletion in the promoter underlies Guttmacher syndrome. Hum Mutat 19: 573–574. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. HOXA13 regulates the expression of bone morphogenetic proteins 2 and 7 to control distal limb morphogenesis. Development 131: 4581– 4592. , , , .
- 2007. Elucidation, quantitative refinement, and in vivo utilization of the HOXA13 DNA binding site. J Biol Chem 282: 6843– 6853. , , , , .
- 2008. The apical ectodermal ridge is a timer for generating distal limb progenitors. Development 135: 1395–1405. , , , .
- 1997. Positional apoptosis during vertebrate CNS development in the absence of endogenous retinoids. Development 124: 2799–2805. , , , , .
- 2006. [Hand-foot-genital syndrome]. Nippon Rinsho ( Suppl) 2: 647–648. , .
- 2003. Loss of Bmp7 and Fgf8 signaling in Hoxa13-mutant mice causes hypospadia. Development 130: 3095– 3109. , , , .
- 1997. Mutation of HOXA13 in hand-foot-genital syndrome. Nat Genet 15: 179–180. , .
- 1999. Sonic hedgehog promotes somitic chondrogenesis by altering the cellular response to BMP signaling. Genes Dev 13: 225–237. , , .
- 1997. SOX9 binds DNA, activates transcription, and coexpresses with type II collagen during chondrogenesis in the mouse. Dev Biol 183: 108–121. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Hoxd13 and Hoxa13 directly control the expression of the EphA7 Ephrin tyrosine kinase receptor in developing limbs. J Biol Chem 281: 1992–1999. , .
- 2003. Multiple joint and skeletal patterning defects caused by single and double mutations in the mouse Gdf6 and Gdf5 genes. Dev Biol 254: 116–130. , , , , , .
- 2008. HOXA13 Is essential for placental vascular patterning and labyrinth endothelial specification. PLoS Genet 4: 1–18. , , , , .
- 1991. The implications of the bauplan for development and evolution of the tetrapod limb. In: HinchliffeJR, HurleJM, DummerbellD, editors. Developmental patterning of the vertebrate limb. New York: Plenum Publishing Corporation. p 411–422. .
- 1986. A morphogenetic approach to the origin and basic organization of the tetrapod limb. In: HectMK, WallaceB, PranceG, editors. Evolutionary biology, Vol. 20. New York: Plenum Publishing Corporation. p 319–387. , .
- 2001. Loss of Eph-receptor expression correlates with loss of cell adhesion and chondrogenic capacity in Hoxa13 mutant limbs. Development 128: 4177– 4188. , , .
- 1970. The hand-food-uterus syndrome: a new hereditary disorder characterized by hand and foot dysplasia, dermatoglyphic abnormalities, and partial duplication of the female genital tract. J Pediatr 77: 109–116. , , , , , .
- 1999. GDF5 coordinates bone and joint formation during digit development. Dev Biol 209: 11–27. , .
- 1994. Limb alterations in brachypodism mice due to mutations in a new member of the TGF beta-superfamily. Nature 368: 639–643. , , , , , .
- 2003. Genetic modifiers interact with maternal determinants in vascular development of Tgfb1(−/−) mice. Hum Mol Genet 12: 1579–1589. , , , , , .
- 1967. An enzyme method of clearing and staining small vertebrates. Proceeding of the United States National Museum 122: 9. .
- 2006. The Noggin null mouse phenotype is strain dependent and haploinsufficiency leads to skeletal defects. Dev Dyn 235: 1599–1607. , , .
- 1996. Exclusion of Sox9 as a candidate for the mouse mutant tail-short. Mamm Genome 7: 481–485. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Gene dosage-dependent effects of the Hoxa-13 and Hoxd-13 mutations on morphogenesis of the terminal parts of the digestive and urogenital tracts. Development 124: 4781–4791. , , , , .
- 1996. Aetiology of the skeletal dysmorphology syndrome campomelic dysplasia: expression of the Sox9 gene during chondrogenesis in mouse embryos. Ann NY Acad Sci 785: 350–352. , , , , , .
- 1995. The Sry-related gene Sox9 is expressed during chondrogenesis in mouse embryos. Nat Genet 9: 15–20. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Hoxa-11 and Hoxa-13 are involved in repression of MyoD during limb muscle development. Dev Growth Differ 45: 485–498. , .