Transcriptional regulatory regions of gap43 needed in developing and regenerating retinal ganglion cells
Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 2, pages 482–495, February 2010
How to Cite
Kusik, B. W., Hammond, D. R. and Udvadia, A. J. (2010), Transcriptional regulatory regions of gap43 needed in developing and regenerating retinal ganglion cells. Dev. Dyn., 239: 482–495. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22190
- Issue online: 22 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 NOV 2009
- NIH. Grant Number: NS055154
- Greater Milwaukee Foundation (Shaw Scientist Award)
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. J Mol Biol 215: 403–410. , , , , .
- 1999. A large-scale insertional mutagenesis screen in zebrafish. Genes Dev 13: 2713–2724. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Characterization of an enhancer region of the galanin gene that directs expression to the dorsal root ganglion and confers responsiveness to axotomy. J Neurosci 27: 6573–6580. , , , , .
- 1990. Improved method for obtaining 3-microns cryosections for immunocytochemistry. J Histochem Cytochem 38: 1383–1388. , .
- 2007. Growth and pathfinding of regenerating axons in the optic projection of adult fish. J Neurosci Res 85: 2793–2799. , .
- 2001. Spinal axon regeneration evoked by replacing two growth cone proteins in adult neurons. Nat Neurosci 4: 38–43. , , , , .
- 1998. Target contact regulates GAP-43 and alpha-tubulin mRNA levels in regenerating retinal ganglion cells. J Neurosci Res 52: 405–419. , , , .
- 2008. Sequence conservation and combinatorial complexity of Drosophila neural precursor cell enhancers. BMC Genom 9: 371. , , , , , .
- 2002. Arginase I and polyamines act downstream from cyclic AMP in overcoming inhibition of axonal growth MAG and myelin in vitro. Neuron 35: 711–719. , , , , , .
- 2006. The cytokine interleukin-6 is sufficient but not necessary to mimic the peripheral conditioning lesion effect on axonal growth. J Neurosci 26: 5565–5573. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Intrinsic neuronal determinants locally regulate extrasynaptic and synaptic growth at the adult neuromuscular junction. J Cell Biol 136: 679–692. , , .
- 2005. MatInspector and beyond: promoter analysis based on transcription factor binding sites. Bioinformatics 21: 2933–2942. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Sunday Driver links axonal transport to damage signaling. J Cell Biol 168: 775–787. , , , .
- 1996. The GAP-43 gene is a direct downstream target of the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors. J Biol Chem 271: 22035–22043. , , , .
- 1998. Distribution of phosphorylated GAP-43 (neuromodulin) in growth cones directly reflects growth cone behavior. J Neurobiol 35: 287–299. , .
- 1991. Expression of the growth-associated protein GAP-43 in adult rat retinal ganglion cells following axon injury. Neuron 6: 635–647. , , , .
- 2002. PipTools: a computational toolkit to annotate and analyze pairwise comparisons of genomic sequences. Genomics 80: 681–690. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Characterization of a nervous system-specific promoter for growth-associated protein 43 gene in Medaka (Oryzias latipes). Brain Res 1245: 1–15. , , , .
- 2000. Different regulatory elements are necessary for alpha1 tubulin induction during CNS development and regeneration. Neuroreport 11: 3859–3863. , .
- 1997. Modulation of actin filament behavior by GAP-43 (neuromodulin) is dependent on the phosphorylation status of serine 41, the protein kinase C site. J Neurosci 17: 3515–3524. , , .
- 1986. A protein associated with axon growth, GAP-43, is widely distributed and developmentally regulated in rat CNS. J Neurosci 6: 1843–1855. , , .
- 2008. Changes of phospho-growth-associated protein 43 (phospho-GAP43) in the zebrafish retina after optic nerve injury: a long-term observation. Neurosci Res 61: 281–288. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Retinal ganglion cell axon progression from the optic chiasm to initiate optic tract development requires cell autonomous function of GAP-43. J Neurosci 18: 5692–5705. , , , .
- 2004. Construction and detection of fluorescent, germline transgenic zebrafish. Methods Mol Biol 254: 271–288. , .
- 1999. Disrupted cortical map and absence of cortical barrels in growth-associated protein (GAP)-43 knockout mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 9397–9402. , , , , , , .
- 1996. NeuroD2 and neuroD3: distinct expression patterns and transcriptional activation potentials within the neuroD gene family. Mol Cell Biol 16: 5792–5800. , , , , , .
- 1994. Injury induced expression of growth-associated protein-43 in adult mouse retinal ganglion cells in vitro. Neuroscience 63: 591–602. , , .
- 1992. A neural-specific GAP-43 core promoter located between unusual DNA elements that interact to regulate its activity. J Neurosci 12: 691–704. , , , .
- 2005. Sustaining intrinsic growth capacity of adult neurons promotes spinal cord regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 16848–16852. , , .
- 2009a. Regulation of GAP-43 at serine 41 acts as a switch to modulate both intrinsic and extrinsic behaviors of growing neurons, via altered membrane distribution. Mol Cell Neurosci 41: 62–73. , , .
- 2009b. NFAT-3 is a transcriptional repressor of the growth-associated protein 43 during neuronal maturation. J Biol Chem 284: 18816–18823. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. EVOPRINTER, a multigenomic comparative tool for rapid identification of functionally important DNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 14700–14705. , , , .
- 2005. Vimentin-dependent spatial translocation of an activated MAP kinase in injured nerve. Neuron 45: 715–726. , , , , , .
- 2002. Spinal axon regeneration induced by elevation of cyclic AMP. Neuron 34: 895–903. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Neural selective activation and temporal regulation of a mammalian GAP-43 promoter in zebrafish. Development 120: 1767–1775. , , , , .
- 1984. Peripheral injury enhances central regeneration of primary sensory neurones. Nature 309: 791–793. , .
- 2003. Evolutionary conservation of regulatory elements in vertebrate Hox gene clusters. Genome Res 13: 1111–1122. , , .
- 1994. GAP-43 immunoreactivity and axon regeneration in retinal ganglion cells of the rat. J Neurobiol 25: 1570–1578. , , .
- 2003. Using TESS to Predict Transcription Factor Binding Sites in DNA Sequence. In: BaxevanisAD, editor. Current protocols in bioinformatics. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons. .
- 2000. PipMaker: a web server for aligning two genomic DNA sequences. Genome Res 10: 577–586. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. An element in the alpha1-tubulin promoter is necessary for retinal expression during optic nerve regeneration but not after eye injury in the adult zebrafish. J Neurosci 24: 7663–7673. , , .
- 2002. Growth-associated protein-43 is required for commissural axon guidance in the developing vertebrate nervous system. J Neurosci 22: 239–247. , , , , .
- 1989. Axonal growth-associated proteins. Annu Rev Neurosci 12: 127–156. .
- 1997. A transcription-dependent switch controls competence of adult neurons for distinct modes of axon growth. J Neurosci 17: 646–658. , .
- 2008. BDNF activates CaMKIV and PKA in parallel to block MAG-mediated inhibition of neurite outgrowth. Mol Cell Neurosci 38: 110–116. , , .
- 1994. Functional characterization of the rat GAP-43 promoter. Brain Res 638: 211–220. , , .
- 1995. Neuronal pathfinding is abnormal in mice lacking the neuronal growth cone protein GAP-43. Cell 80: 445–452. , , , , .
- 2008. A p53-CBP/p300 transcription module is required for GAP-43 expression, axon outgrowth, and regeneration. Cell Death Differ 16: 543–554. , , , , .
- 2002. I-SceI meganuclease mediates highly efficient transgenesis in fish. Mech Dev 118: 91–98. , , , , , , .
- 2008. 3.6 kb genomic sequence from Takifugu capable of promoting axon growth-associated gene expression in developing and regenerating zebrafish neurons. Gene Expr Patterns 8: 382–388. .
- 2001. GAP-43 promoter elements in transgenic zebrafish reveal a difference in signals for axon growth during CNS development and regeneration. Development 128: 1175–1182. , , .
- 1994. GAP-43 transgenic mice: dispersed genomic sequences confer a GAP-43-like expression pattern during development and regeneration. J Neurosci 14: 499–510. , , , , , .
- 2005. Comparative genomics using fugu: a tool for the identification of conserved vertebrate cis-regulatory elements. Bioessays 27: 100–107. , .
- 1997. Identification of a novel repressive element that contributes to neuron-specific gene expression. J Neurosci 17: 7583–7593. , .
- 1998. The activity of a highly promiscuous AP-1 element can be confined to neurons by a tissue-selective repressive element. J Neurosci 18: 5264–5274. , .
- 2000. The Zebrafish Book: A guide for the laboratory use of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Eugene, OR: University of Oregon Press. 363 p. .
- 2006. The mitochondrial genome of spotted green pufferfish Tetraodon nigroviridis (Teleostei: Tetraodontiformes) and divergence time estimation among model organisms in fishes. Genes Genet Syst 81: 29–39. , , , , .
- 2009. Chronically CNS-injured adult sensory neurons gain regenerative competence upon a lesion of their peripheral axon. Curr Biol 19: 930–936. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Growth-associated protein GAP-43 and L1 act synergistically to promote regenerative growth of Purkinje cell axons in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 14883–14888. , , , , , , , .