This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain of the United States of America.
Role of bone morphogenetic proteins on cochlear hair cell formation: Analyses of Noggin and Bmp2 mutant mice†
Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2010
Published 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 2, pages 505–513, February 2010
How to Cite
Hwang, C. H., Guo, D., Harris, M. A., Howard, O., Mishina, Y., Gan, L., Harris, S. E. and Wu, D. K. (2010), Role of bone morphogenetic proteins on cochlear hair cell formation: Analyses of Noggin and Bmp2 mutant mice. Dev. Dyn., 239: 505–513. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22200
- Issue online: 22 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 NOV 2009
- NIH/NIEHS. Grant Number: ES071003-11
- NIH. Grant Numbers: DC008856, 1R01 AR054616
- 2000. The motor and tail regions of myosin XV are critical for normal structure and function of auditory and vestibular hair cells. Hum Mol Genet 9: 1729–1738. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Extracellular regulation of BMP signaling in vertebrates: a cocktail of modulators. Dev Biol 250: 231–250. , .
- 2006. Genetic analysis of the roles of BMP2, BMP4, and BMP7 in limb patterning and skeletogenesis. PLoS Genet 2: e216. , , , , , .
- 1996. Evidence from normal expression and targeted misexpression that bone morphogenetic protein (Bmp-4) plays a role in mouse embryonic lung morphogenesis. Development 122: 1693–1702. , , , , .
- 2007. Role of hindbrain in inner ear morphogenesis: analysis of Noggin knockout mice. Dev Biol 311: 69–78. , , , , .
- 1998. Noggin, cartilage morphogenesis, and joint formation in the mammalian skeleton. Science 280: 1455–1457. , , , .
- 1999. Ectopic noggin blocks sensory and nonsensory organ morphogenesis in the chicken inner ear. Dev Biol 216: 369–381. , , , , .
- 2008. Bmp4 is essential for the formation of the vestibular apparatus that detects angular head movements. PLoS Genet 4: e1000050. , , , , , .
- 1999. p27(Kip1) links cell proliferation to morphogenesis in the developing organ of Corti. Development 126: 1581–1590. , .
- 2007. The bone morphogenetic protein antagonist noggin regulates mammalian cardiac morphogenesis. Circ Res 100: 220–228. , , , , .
- 2008. Fibroblast growth factor represses Smad-mediated myofibroblast activation in aortic valvular interstitial cells. FASEB J 22: 1769–1777. , , , , .
- 2007. Noggin regulates Bmp4 activity during pituitary induction. Dev Biol 305: 145–160. , .
- 2003. BMP signaling is required for septation of the outflow tract of the mammalian heart. Development 130: 209–220. , , , .
- 2009. Hey2 regulation by FGF provides a Notch-independent mechanism for maintaining pillar cell fate in the organ of Corti. Dev Cell 16: 58–69. , , , , , .
- 2008. Hedgehog signaling regulates sensory cell formation and auditory function in mice and humans. J Neurosci 28: 7350–7358. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A requirement for bone morphogenetic protein-7 during development of the mammalian kidney and eye. Genes Dev 9: 2795–2807. , , .
- 1997. Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) as regulators of dorsal forebrain development. Development 124: 2203–2212. , , .
- 2007. Loss of Fgfr3 leads to excess hair cell development in the mouse organ of Corti. Dev Dyn 236: 525–533. , , .
- 2008. Fgf20 is required for sensory epithelial specification in the developing cochlea. J Neurosci 28: 5991–5999. , , .
- 2000. Targeting of cre to the Foxg1 (BF-1) locus mediates loxP recombination in the telencephalon and other developing head structures. Dev Biol 222: 296–306. , .
- 2004. Transcription profiling of inner ears from Pou4f3(ddl/ddl) identifies Gfi1 as a target of the Pou4f3 deafness gene. Hum Mol Genet 13: 2143–2153. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. The Xenopus dorsalizing factor noggin ventralizes Drosophila embryos by preventing DPP from activating its receptor. Cell 86: 607–617. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. FGF-regulated BMP signaling is required for eyelid closure and to specify conjunctival epithelial cell fate. Development 136: 1741–1750. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Noggin heterozygous mice: an animal model for congenital conductive hearing loss in humans. Hum Mol Genet 17: 844–853. , .
- 2007. Fgf8 induces pillar cell fate and regulates cellular patterning in the mammalian cochlea. Development 134: 3021– 3029. , , , , .
- 1996. BMP 7 is required for nephrogenesis, eye development, and skeletal patterning. Ann N Y Acad Sci 785: 98–107. , , , .
- 2002. Shaping the vertebrate body plan by polarized embryonic cell movements. Science 298: 1950–1954. .
- 2007. Cellular commitment and differentiation in the organ of Corti. Int J Dev Biol 51: 571–583. .
- 2009. Lmx1a maintains proper neurogenic, sensory, and nonsensory domains in the mammalian inner ear. Dev Biol 333:14–25 , , , , , .
- 2005. BMP4 signaling is involved in the generation of inner ear sensory epithelia. BMC Dev Biol 5: 16. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Cellular growth and rearrangement during the development of the mammalian organ of Corti. Dev Dyn 229: 802–812. , , .
- 1998. Noggin-mediated antagonism of BMP signaling is required for growth and patterning of the neural tube and somite. Genes Dev 12: 1438–1452. , , , , , .
- 2003. Planar and vertical signals control cellular differentiation and patterning in the mammalian cochlea. J Neurosci 23: 9469–9478. , .
- 2003. Identification of Vangl2 and Scrb1 as planar polarity genes in mammals. Nature 423: 173–177. , , , , , .
- 1998. Development of the mouse inner ear and origin of its sensory organs. J Neurosci 18: 3327–3335. , , , , .
- 1996. Differential expression of bone morphogenetic proteins in the developing vestibular and auditory sensory organs. J Neurosci 16: 6463–6475. , , .
- 2003. Expression and function of FGF10 in mammalian inner ear development. Dev Dyn 227: 203–215. , , , , , .
- 2003. Integration of IGF, FGF, and anti-BMP signals via Smad1 phosphorylation in neural induction. Genes Dev 17: 3023–3028. , , , .
- 1996. Dorsoventral patterning in Xenopus: inhibition of ventral signals by direct binding of chordin to BMP-4. Cell 86: 589–598. , , , .
- 2002. FGFR1 is required for the development of the auditory sensory epithelium. Neuron 35: 671–680. , , , , , .
- 2006. BMP-signaling regulates the generation of hair-cells. Dev Biol 292: 55–67. , , , .
- 2007. Disruption of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 signaling results in defects in cellular differentiation, neuronal patterning, and hearing impairment. Dev Dyn 236: 1905–1917. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Wnt5a functions in planar cell polarity regulation in mice. Dev Biol 306: 121–133. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Signaling pathways in skeletal formation: a role for BMP receptors. Ann N Y Acad Sci 785: 59–69. , , .
- 2005. Sprouty2, a mouse deafness gene, regulates cell fate decisions in the auditory sensory epithelium by antagonizing FGF signaling. Dev Cell 8: 553–564. , , , .
- 2008. Planar cell polarity signaling: from fly development to human disease. Annu Rev Genet 42: 517–540. , .
- 2008. Influences of reduced expression of maternal bone morphogenetic protein 2 on mouse embryonic development. Sex Dev 2: 134–141. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Intracellular BMP signaling regulation in vertebrates: pathway or network? Dev Biol 239: 1–14. , .
- 2003. The zinc finger transcription factor Gfi1, implicated in lymphomagenesis, is required for inner ear hair cell differentiation and survival. Development 130: 221–232. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Regulation of polarized extension and planar cell polarity in the cochlea by the vertebrate PCP pathway. Nat Genet 37: 980–985. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The BMP antagonist noggin regulates cranial suture fusion. Nature 422: 625–629. , , , , .
- 2009. Myosin II regulates extension, growth and patterning in the mammalian cochlear duct. Development 136: 1977–1986. , , , , .
- 2003. Math5 determines the competence state of retinal ganglion cell progenitors. Dev Biol 264: 240–254. , , , , .
- 1996. Mice deficient for BMP2 are nonviable and have defects in amnion/chorion and cardiac development. Development 122: 2977– 2986. , .
- 1999. Assessment of hearing in 80 inbred strains of mice by ABR threshold analyses. Hear Res 130: 94–107. , , .
- 2006. Bone morphogenetic proteins and noggin: inhibiting and inducing fungiform taste papilla development. Dev Biol 297: 198–213. , , .
- 1996. The Spemann organizer signal noggin binds and inactivates bone morphogenetic protein 4. Cell 86: 599–606. , , .