Patterns & Phenotypes
Examining the combinatorial model of motor neuron survival by expression profiling of trophic factors and their receptors in the embryonic Gallus gallus
Version of Record online: 27 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 3, pages 965–979, March 2010
How to Cite
Gu, W. X.W. and Kania, A. (2010), Examining the combinatorial model of motor neuron survival by expression profiling of trophic factors and their receptors in the embryonic Gallus gallus. Dev. Dyn., 239: 965–979. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22215
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2010
- Version of Record online: 27 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 DEC 2009
- Muscular Dystrophy Association. Grant Number: 91733
- Canadian Institute for Health Research. Grant Number: MOP-77556
- 1990. Survival effect of ciliary neurotrophic factor (CNTF) on chick embryonic motoneurons in culture: comparison with other neurotrophic factors and cytokines. J Neurosci 10: 3507–3515. , , .
- 2002. Motoneuron-derived neurotrophin-3 is a survival factor for PAX2-expressing spinal interneurons. J Neurosci 22: 8779–8784. , , , , .
- 2006. Neuromuscular development in the absence of programmed cell death: phenotypic alteration of motoneurons and muscle. J Neurosci 26: 13413–13427. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Dorsal root ganglion cell death and surviving cell numbers in relation to the development of sensory innervation in the rat hindlimb. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 82: 193–212. , , .
- 1995. Mice lacking the CNTF receptor, unlike mice lacking CNTF, exhibit profound motor neuron deficits at birth. Cell 83: 313–322. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor is an axonal chemoattractant and a neurotrophic factor for spinal motor neurons. Neuron 17: 1157–1172. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. The effect of lesions in the neural crest on the formation of synaptic connexions in the embryonic chick spinal cord. J Physiol (Lond) 324: 453–478. , , .
- 2009. Neurotrophic modulation of motor neuron development. Neuroscientist 15: 105–116. , .
- 2004. The function of neurotrophic factor receptors expressed by the developing adductor motor pool in vivo. J Neurosci 24: 4668–4682. , .
- 1998. Muscle-specific cell ablation conditional upon Cre-mediated DNA recombination in transgenic mice leads to massive spinal and cranial motoneuron loss. Dev Biol 197: 234–247. , , , , .
- 2002. GDNF acts through PEA3 to regulate cell body positioning and muscle innervation of specific motor neuron pools. Neuron 35: 893–905. , , , , , , , , .
- 1934. The effects of wind bud extirpation on the development of the central nervous system in chick embryos. J Exp Zool 68: 449–490. .
- 1975. Cell death in the development of the lateral motor column of the chick embryo. J Comp Neurol 160: 535–546. .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 195–272. , .
- 2004. Control of neuronal phenotype: what targets tell the cell bodies. Trends Neurosci 27: 482–488. , , .
- 1980. Organization of motor pools in the chick lumbar lateral motor column. J Comp Neurol 194: 143–170. .
- 1976. Reduction of the naturally occurring motor neuron loss by enlargement of the periphery. J Comp Neurol 170: 311–320. , .
- 1977. Localization of motor neuron pools supplying identified muscles in normal and supernumerary legs of chick embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74: 3582–3586. , , .
- 2003. Differential expression of the GDNF family receptors RET and GFRalpha1, 2, and 4 in subsets of motoneurons: a relationship between motoneuron birthdate and receptor expression. J Comp Neurol 456: 245–259. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Src family kinases are required for limb trajectory selection by spinal motor axons. J Neurosci 29: 5690–5700. , , .
- 1998. Muscle and tendon morphogenesis in the avian hind limb. Development 125: 4019–4032. .
- 1978. The distribution of motoneurones supplying chick hind limb muscles. J Physiol (Lond) 284: 371–389. .
- 1998. The role of apoptosis and excitotoxicity in the death of spinal motoneurons and interneurons after neonatal nerve injury. Neuroscience 87: 337–348. , .
- 1997. Evidence that spinal interneurons undergo programmed cell death postnatally in the rat. Eur J Neurosci 9: 794–799. , , , .
- 1995. Mice deficient in IL-1 beta-converting enzyme are defective in production of mature IL-1 beta and resistant to endotoxic shock. Cell 80: 401–411. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Functionally related motor neuron pool and muscle sensory afferent subtypes defined by coordinate ETS gene expression. Cell 95: 393–407. , , , , , .
- 1991. Lack of evidence for cell death among avian spinal cord interneurons during normal development and following removal of targets and afferents. J Neurobiol 22: 721–733. , .
- 1983. Differentiation of muscle fiber types in the chicken hindlimb. Dev Biol 97: 222–228. .
- 1996. Renal and neuronal abnormalities in mice lacking GDNF. Nature 382: 76–79. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Hyperinnervation of neuromuscular junctions caused by GDNF overexpression in muscle. Science 279: 1725–1729. .
- 1984. Cell death of motoneurons in the chick embryo spinal cord. IX. The loss of motoneurons following removal of afferent inputs. J Neurosci 4: 1639–1652. , .
- 1997. Neonatal sciatic nerve transection induces TUNEL labeling of neurons in the rat spinal cord and DRG. Neuroreport 8: 2837–2840. , , , , , .
- 2002. Apoptosis of spinal interneurons induced by sciatic nerve axotomy in the neonatal rat is counteracted by nerve growth factor and ciliary neurotrophic factor. J Comp Neurol 447: 381–393. , , , , .
- 1991. Cell death during development of the nervous system. Annu Rev Neurosci 14: 453–501. .
- 1996. Neurotrophic survival molecules for motoneurons: an embarrassment of riches. Neuron 17: 195–197. .
- 1978. Cell death of motoneurons in the chick embryo spinal cord. III. The differentiation of motoneurons prior to their induced degeneration following limb-bud removal. J Comp Neurol 177: 87–111. , , .
- 2000. Development of sensory neurons in the absence of NGF/TrkA signaling in vivo. Neuron 25: 345–357. , , , , .
- 2008. A differential developmental pattern of spinal interneuron apoptosis during synaptogenesis: insights from genetic analyses of the protocadherin- gene cluster. Development 135: 4153–4164. , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of motor neuron pool sorting by differential expression of type II cadherins. Cell 109: 205–216. , , , .
- 1927. The development of the thigh musculature of the chick. J Morphol 43: 347–385. .
- 1996. Renal agenesis and the absence of enteric neurons in mice lacking GDNF. Nature 382: 70–73. , , , , , .
- 1991. Spatial and temporal patterns of muscle cleavage in the chick thigh and their value as criteria for homology. Am J Anat 191: 325–350. , .
- 1909. The effect of the destruction of peripheral areas on the differentiation of the neuroblasts. J Exp Zool 7: 25. .
- 1989. Neurotrophic molecules. Ann Neurol 26: 489–506. , .
- 1999. Masking of Eph receptors and ephrins. Curr Biol 9: R469–470. , .
- 1994. Topographic organization of embryonic motor neurons defined by expression of LIM homeobox genes. Cell 79: 957–970. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Neurotrophins are required for nerve growth during development. Nat Neurosci 4: 29–37. , , .
- 1995. Slow and fast muscle fibers are preferentially derived from myoblasts migrating into the chick limb bud at different developmental times. Dev Biol 170: 321–337. , .
- 1948. The development of the muscles and tendons in the lower leg and foot of chick embryos. J Morphol 83: 105–148. .