Pbx1 is essential for growth of zebrafish swim bladder
Article first published online: 27 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 3, pages 865–874, March 2010
How to Cite
Teoh, P.-H., Shu-Chien, A. C. and Chan, W.-K. (2010), Pbx1 is essential for growth of zebrafish swim bladder. Dev. Dyn., 239: 865–874. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22221
- Issue published online: 11 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 27 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 DEC 2009
- Academy Sciences Malaysia. Grant Number: SAGA 304/PBIOLOGI/653006.A118, A*STAR, BMRC (CWK–BMRC 07/1/21/19/527)
- 2006. Characterization of two new zebrafish members of the hedgehog family: atypical expression of a zebrafish indian hedgehog gene in skeletal elements of both endochondral and dermal origins. Dev Dyn 235: 478–489. , , , .
- 1997. Involvement of Sonic hedgehog (Shh) in mouse embryonic lung growth and morphogenesis. Development 124: 53–63. , , , , , .
- 1998. The novel homeoprotein Prep1 modulates Pbx-Hox protein coorperativity. EMBO J 17: 1434–1445. , , , , .
- 1999. The subcellular localization of PBX1 and EXD proteins depends on nuclear import and export signals and is modulated by association with PREP1 and HTH. Genes Dev 13: 946–953. , , , , .
- 2005. A Pbx1-dependent genetic and transcriptional network regulates spleen. Development 132: 3113–3126. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. New motif in PBX genes. Nat Genet 1: 319–320. , .
- 2006. Pbx1/Pbx2 requirement for distal limb patterning is mediated by the hierarchical control of Hox gene spatial distribution and Shh expression. Development 133: 2263–2273. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular regulation of lung development. Annu Rev Physiol 63: 471–494. .
- 2000. Developmental expression of a novel Ftz-F1 homologue, ff1b (NR5A4), in the zebrafish Danio rerio. Mech Dev 91: 423–428. , .
- 1997. Meis proteins are major in vivo DNA binding partners for wild-type but not chimeric Pbx proteins. Mol Cell Biol 17: 5679–5687. , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of the zebrafish smoothened mutant reveals conserved and divergent functions of hedgehog activity. Development 128: 2385–2396. , , .
- 1977. Functions of the alveolar lining. Am Rev Respir Dis 115: 67–71. .
- 1996. Induction of a specific muscle cell type by a hedgehog-like protein in zebrafish. Nature 382: 452–455. , .
- 1994. Pulmonary-type surfactants in the lungs of terrestrial and aquatic amphibians. Respir Physiol 95: 249–258. , , , .
- 2004. Prep1.1 has essential genetic functions in hindbrain development and cranial neural crest cell differentiation. Development 131: 613–627. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Spatio-temporal expression of Pbx3 during mouse organogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns 6: 747–757. , , , , , .
- 2007. TALE-Family homeodomain proteins regulate endodermal sonic hedgehog expression and pattern the anterior endoderm. Dev Biol 304: 221–231. , , , , .
- 2001. The Hox cofactor and proto-oncogene Pbx1 is required for maintenance of definitive hematopoiesis in the fetal liver. Blood 98: 618–626. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Pbx proteins cooperate with Engrailed to pattern the midbrain-hindbrain and di-encephalic-mesencephalic boundaries. Dev Biol 301: 504–517. , , , , .
- 2003. Formation of the digestive system in zebrafish. I. liver morphogenesis. Dev Biol 253: 279–290. , , , .
- 2006. Structure and autonomic innervation of the swim bladder in the zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Comp Neurol 495: 587–606. , , , , .
- 2007. Pbx homeodomain proteins pattern both the zebrafish retina and tectum. BMC Dev Biol 7: 85 , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Trimeric association of Hox and TALE homeodomain proteins mediates Hoxb2 hindbrain enhancer activity. Mol Cell Biol 19: 5134–5142. , , .
- 1990. A new homebox gene contributes the DNA binding domain of the t(1:19) translocation protein in pre-B ALL. Cell 60: 547–555. , , , .
- 2003. PBX1 nuclear export is regulated independently of PBX-MEINOX interaction by PKA phosphorylation of the PBC-B domain. EMBO J 22: 89–99. , , .
- 2002. Pbx1 inactivation disrupts pancreas development and in Ipf1-deficient mice promotes diabetes mellitus. Nat Genet 30: 430–435. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 2008. PBX proteins: much more than Hox cofactors. Int J Dev Biol 52:9–20. , , , , .
- 2006. Pbx1 is a co-factor for Cdx-2 in regulating proglucagon gene expression in pancreatic A cells. Mol Cell Endo 249: 140–149. , , .
- 2002. Thyroid hormones are important for embryonic to larval transitory phase in zebrafish. Differentiation 70: 36–45. , .
- 2004. Abnormalities of caudal pharyngeal pouch development in Pbx1 knockout mice mimic loss of Hox3 paralogs. Dev Biol 276: 301– 312. , , , , .
- 2007. Pbx homeodomain proteins direct Myod activity to promote fast-muscle differentiation. Development 134: 3371–3382. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Pbx acts with Hand2 in early myocardial differentiation. Dev Biol 333: 409–418. , , , .
- 2006. Hox cofactors in vertebrate development. Dev Biol 291: 193–206. , .
- 1991. PBX2 and PBX3, new homeobox genes with extensive homology to the human proto-oncogene PBX1. Mol Cell Biol 11: 6149–6157. , , , , .
- 2006. Expression of the protein related to Dan and Cerberus gene, prdc, during eye, pharyngeal arch, somite, and swim bladder development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn 235: 2881–2888. , , .
- 1990. Chromosal translocation t(1;19) results in synthesis of a homeobox fusion mRNA that codes for a potential chimeric transcription factor. Cell 60: 535–545. , , , , , , .
- 2003. From endoderm formation to liver and pancreas development in zebrafish. Mech Dev 120: 5–18. , , .
- 1999. The zebrafish swimbladder: a simple model for lung elastin injury and repair. Connect Tissue Res 40: 105–112. , , , , and .
- 2000. lazarus is a novel pbx gene that globally mediates hox gene function in zebrafish. Mol Cell 6: 255–267. , , , , , .
- 2000. Swim bladder gas gland cells produce surfactant: in vivo and in culture. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 279: R2336–R2343. , , , .
- 1993. extradenticle, a regulator of homeotic gene activity, is a homolog of the homeobox-containing human proto-oncogene pbx1. Cell 74: 1101–1112. , , .
- 2004. Pbx3 deficiency results in central hypoventilation. Am J Pathol 165: 1343– 1350. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog is not required for the induction of medial floor plate cells in the zebrafish. Development 125: 2983–2993. , , , , , .
- 2001. Expression of Pbx1b during mammalian organogenesis. Mech Dev 100: 131–135. , , , , .
- 2003a. Pbx1 regulates nephrogenesis and ureteric branching in the developing kidney. Dev Biol 254: 262– 276. , , .
- 2003b. Pbx1 is essential for adrenal development and urogenital differentiation. Genesis 37: 123–130. , , .
- 2001. Requirement for Pbx1 in skeletal patterning and programming chondrocyte proliferation and differentiation. Development 128: 3543–3557. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The TALE homeodomain protein Pbx2 is not essential for development and long-term survival. Mol Cell Biol 24: 5324– 5331. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the developing lung. Ann Rev Physiol 66: 625– 645. , .
- 1994. Surfactant composition and function in lungs of air-breathing fishes. Am J Physiol 266: R1309–R1313. , , .
- 2008. Zebrafish dlx2a contributes to hindbrain neural crest survival, is necessary for differentiation of sensory ganglia and functions with dlx1a in maturation of the arch cartilage elements. Dev Biol 314: 59–70 , , , .
- 1998. An endocrine-exocrine switch in the activity of the pancreatic homeodomain protein PDX1 through formation of a trimeric complex with PBX1b and MRG1 (MEIS2). Mol Cell Biol 18: 5109–5120. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Mutations affecting somite formation and patterning in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development 123: 153–164. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The role of lipids in pulmonary surfactant. Biochim Biophys Acta 1408: 90–108. , , , .
- 2000. A novel Pbx family member expressed during early zebrafish embryogenesis forms trimeric complexes with Meis3 and Hoxb1b. Dev Dyn 217: 109–119. , , .
- 2001. Meis3 synergizes with Pbx4 and Hoxb1b in promoting hindbrain fates in the zebrafish. Development 128: 1299–1312. , , .
- 2001. Pbx4, a new Pbx member on mouse chromosome 8, is expressed during spermatogenesis. Mech Dev 103: 127–131. , , , , .
- 1999. Origin and development of the zebrafish endoderm. Development 126: 827–838. , .
- 2002. Eliminating zebrafish Pbx proteins reveals a hindbrain ground state. Dev Cell 3: 723–733. , , .
- 2009. Development of zebrafish swimbladder: The requirement of Hedgehog signaling in specification and organization of the three tissue layers. Dev Biol 331: 222–236. , , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular dissection of craniofacial development using zebrafish. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 13: 308–322. , .
- 2006. Two-step regulation of Ad4BP/SF-1 gene transcription during fetal adrenal development: initiation by a Hox-Pbx1-Prep1 complex and maintenance via autoregulation by Ad4BP/SF-1. Mol Cell Biol 26: 4111–4121. , , , , .