Characterization of harpy/Rca1/emi1 mutants: Patterning in the absence of cell division
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 3, pages 828–843, March 2010
How to Cite
Riley, B. B., Sweet, E. M., Heck, R., Evans, A., McFarland, K. N., Warga, R. M. and Kane, D. A. (2010), Characterization of harpy/Rca1/emi1 mutants: Patterning in the absence of cell division. Dev. Dyn., 239: 828–843. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22227
- Issue published online: 11 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 DEC 2009
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: NIDCD-DC003806
- 1994. Combinatorial expression of three zebrafish genes related to distal-less: part of a homeobox gene code for the head. J Neurosci 14: 3475–3486. , , , , .
- 2004. Identification of 315 genes essential for early zebrafish development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 12792–12797. , , , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of neuronal specification in the zebrafish spinal cord by Delta function. Development 125: 371–380. , .
- 2007. Patterning signals and proliferation in Drosophila imaginal discs. Curr Opin Genet Dev 17: 287–293. .
- 2008. CDK inhibitors: cell cycle regulators and beyond. Dev Cell 14: 159–169. , , .
- 2007. Can the cardiomyocyte cell cycle be reprogrammed? J Mol Cell Cardiol 42: 706–721. , , .
- 1993. A zebrafish homologue of the Drosophila neurogenic gene Notch and its pattern of transcription during early embryogenesis. Mech Dev 43: 87–100. , .
- 2008. In vivo birthdating by BAPTISM reveals that trigeminal sensory neuron diversity depends on early neurogenesis. Development 135: 3259–3269. , , , .
- 1998. Oriented cell divisions and cellular morphogenesis in the zebrafish gastrula and neurula: a time-lapse analysis. Development 125: 983–994. , .
- 2006. pRb: master of differentiation. Coupling irreversible cell cycle withdrawal with induction of muscle-specific transcription. Oncogene 25: 5244–5249. , , .
- 2007. Emi1 is needed to couple DNA replication with mitosis but does not regulate activation of the mitotic APC/C. J Cell Biol 177: 425–437. , .
- 1997. Control of G1 in the developing Drosophila eye: rca1 regulates Cyclin A. Genes Dev 11: 94–105. , , , , , .
- 2003. A 90-degree rotation of the mitotic spindle changes the orientation of mitoses of zebrafish neuroepithelial cells. Development 130: 3767–3780. , , , .
- 2003. Cyclin E ablation in the mouse. Cell 114: 431–443. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Rca1 inhibits APC-Cdh1(Fzr) and is required to prevent cyclin degradation in G2. Dev Cell 2: 29–40. , .
- 1993. Community effects and related phenomena in development. Cell 75: 831–834. , , .
- 1998. Multiple delta genes and lateral inhibition in zebrafish primary neurogenesis. Development 125: 359–370. , , , , , .
- 1996. The identification of genes with unique and essential functions in the development of the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development 123: 1–36. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Neuronal determination without cell division in Xenopus embryos. Neuron 6: 499–515. , .
- 1991. Diversity of expression of engrailed-like antigens in zebrafish. Development 112: 821–832. , , , .
- 2004. Hedgehog signaling is required for commitment but not initial induction of slow muscle precursors. Dev Biol 275: 143–157. , , , .
- 1990. Cell-autonomous action of zebrafish spt-1 mutation in specific mesodermal precursors. Nature 348: 728–730. , .
- 2006. Noise-resistant and synchronized oscillation of the segmentation clock. Nature 441: 719–723. , , , , .
- 1994. Developmental regulation of islet-1 mRNA expression during neuronal differentiation in embryonic zebrafish. Dev Dyn 199: 1–11. , , , , .
- 2004. The anaphase-promoting complex regulates the abundance of GLR-1 glutamate receptors in the ventral nerve cord of C. elegans. Curr Biol 14: 2057–2062. , .
- 1993. The zebrafish midblastula transition. Development 119: 447–456. , .
- 1992. Mitotic domains in the early embryo of the zebrafish. Nature 360: 735–737. , , .
- 1996. The zebrafish early arrest mutants. Development 123: 57–66. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Mutations in half baked/E-cadherin block cell behaviors that are necessary for teleost epiboly. Development 132: 1105–1116. , , .
- 1994. Cell cycles and clonal strings during formation of the zebrafish central nervous system. Development 120: 265–276. , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 2008. Mechanisms of asymmetric stem cell division. Cell 132: 583–597. .
- 1994. Cyclin E controls S phase progression and its down-regulation during Drosophila embryogenesis is required for the arrest of cell proliferation. Cell 77: 107–120. , , , , , .
- 2004. Cdh1-APC controls axonal growth and patterning in the mammalian brain. Science 303: 1026–1030. , , , , .
- 1993. Zebrafish primary neurons initiate expression of the LIM homeodomain protein Isl-1 at the end of gastrulation. Development 118: 417–425. , , .
- 1991a. Expression of the zebrafish paired box gene pax[zf-b] during early neurogenesis. Development 113: 1193. , , , .
- 1991b. Zebrafish pax zf-a-A paired box-containing gene expressed in the neural tube. EMBO J 10: 3609–3619. , , , , , .
- 2007. Asymmetric self-renewal and commitment of satellite stem cells in muscle. Cell 129: 999–1010. , , , .
- 2002. An expanded domain of fgf3 expression in the hindbrain of zebrafish valentino mutants results in mis-patterning of the otic vesicle. Development 129: 5279–5287. , , , .
- 2006. Degradation of Id2 by the anaphase-promoting complex couples cell cycle exit and axonal growth. Nature 442: 471–474. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Fgf8 and Fgf3 are required for zebrafish ear placode induction, maintenance and inner ear patterning. Mech Dev 119: 91–108. , .
- 2007. The APC/C inhibitor, Emi1, is essential for prevention of rereplication. Genes Dev 21: 184–194. , .
- 2008. Genetic evidence that FGFs have an instructive role in limb proximal-distal patterning. Nature 453: 401–405. , , .
- 2005. Genetic locus half baked is necessary for morphogenesis of the ectoderm. Dev Dyn 233: 390–406. , , .
- 1986. Development of reticulospinal neurons of the zebrafish. I. Time of origin. J Comp Neurol 251: 160–171. .
- 1990. Primary neurons that express the L2/HNK-1 carbohydrate during early development in the zebrafish. Development 110: 491–504. , , , , .
- 1992. The paired domain-containing nuclear factor pax[b] is expressed in specific commissural interneurons in zebrafish embryos. J Neurobiol 23: 933–946. , , , , , .
- 2006. Emi1 stably binds and inhibits the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome as a pseudosubstrate inhibitor. Genes Dev 20: 2410–2420. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Zebrafish atoh1 genes: classic proneural activity in the inner ear and regulation by Fgf and Notch. Development 134: 295–305. , , , .
- 1986. Development and axonal outgrowth of identified motoneurons in the zebrafish. J Neurosci 6: 2278–2289. , , .
- 2007. Zebrafish cdc25a is expressed during early development and limiting for post-blastoderm cell cycle progression. Dev Dyn 236: 3427–3435. , , , .
- 1998. fork head domain genes in zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol 208: 245–258. , .
- 2008. Deconstructing stem cell self-renewal: genetic insights into cell-cycle regulation. Nat Rev Genet 9: 115–128. , .
- 2003. Cyclins E1 and E2 are required for endoreplication in placental trophoblast giant cells. EMBO J 22: 4794–4803. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol 294: 376–390. , , , , , .
- 2008. Preventing DNA over-replication: a Cdk perspective. Cell Div 3: 3. .
- 1998. Fgf8 is mutated in zebrafish acerebellar (ace) mutants and is required for maintenance of midbrain-hindbrain boundary development and somitogenesis. Development 125: 2381–2395. , , , , , .
- 2001a. Emi1 is a mitotic regulator that interacts with Cdc20 and inhibits the anaphase promoting complex. Cell 105: 645–655. , , , , , .
- 2001b. Emi1 regulates the anaphase-promoting complex by a different mechanism than Mad2 proteins. Genes Dev 15: 3278–3285. , , , .
- 2009. Emi1 maintains genomic integrity during zebrafish embryogenesis and cooperates with p53 in tumor suppression. Mol Cell Biol 29: 5911–5922. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Efficient induction of point mutations allowing recovery of specific locus mutations in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 5997–6001. , .
- 1999. The deltaA gene of zebrafish mediates lateral inhibition of hair cells in the inner ear and is regulated by pax2.1. Development Suppl 126: 5669–5678. , , , .
- 2002. Synaptotagmins I and IV promote transmitter release independently of Ca(2+) binding in the C(2)A domain. Nature 418: 336–340. , , .
- 1991. Morphogenesis and regulated gene activity are independent of DNA replication in Xenopus embryos. Development 112: 559–569. , .
- 2009. Transcriptional control of Rohon-Beard sensory neuron development at the neural plate border. Dev Dyn 238: 931–943. , , .
- 2001. Plasticity in zebrafish hox expression in the hindbrain and cranial neural crest. Dev Biol 231: 201–216. , , .
- 2007. APC/C--the master controller of origin licensing? Cell Div 2: 8. , , .
- 2006. Cell-intrinsic regulation of axonal morphogenesis by the Cdh1-APC target SnoN. Neuron 50: 389–400. , , , , , .
- 1993. axial, a zebrafish gene expressed along the developing body axis, shows altered expression in cyclops mutant embryos. Genes Dev 7: 1436–1446. , , , .
- 1993. Structure of the zebrafish snail1 gene and its expression in wild-type, spadetail and no tail mutant embryos. Development 119: 1203–1215. , , , .
- 1990. Organization of hindbrain segments in the zebrafish embryo. Neuron 4: 669–679. , , .
- 2007. Morphogens and the control of cell proliferation and patterning in the spinal cord. Cell Cycle 6: 2640–2649. , .
- 2008. To cell cycle, swing the APC/C. Biochim Biophys Acta 1786: 49–59. , , .
- 2004. Independent regulation of synaptic size and activity by the anaphase-promoting complex. Cell 119: 707–718. , , , , .
- 2007. Loss of Emi1-dependent anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome inhibition deregulates E2F target expression and elicits DNA damage-induced senescence. Mol Cell Biol 27: 7955–7965. , , , , .
- 2003. One-eyed pinhead regulates cell motility independent of Squint/Cyclops signaling. Dev Biol 261: 391–411. , .
- 2007. A role for N-cadherin in mesodermal morphogenesis during gastrulation. Dev Biol 310: 211–225. , .
- 1999. Origin and development of the zebrafish endoderm. Development 126: 827–838. , .
- 2009. Fate mapping embryonic blood in zebrafish: multi- and unipotential lineages are segregated at gastrulation. Dev Cell 16: 744–755. , , .
- 2004. Combined haploid and insertional mutation screen in the zebrafish. Genesis 40: 231–240. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Dynamic expression patterns of zebrafish 1G5 (1G5z), a calmodulin kinase-like gene in the developing nervous system. Dev Dyn 235: 835–842. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Transcription-dependent induction of G1 phase during the zebra fish midblastula transition. Mol Cell Biol 17: 529–536. , , .
- 2008. Cell cycle progression is required for zebrafish somite morphogenesis but not segmentation clock function. Development 135: 2065–2070. , , , .