Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression patterns of FGF receptors in the developing mammalian cochlea
Article first published online: 3 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 3, pages 1019–1026, March 2010
How to Cite
Hayashi, T., Ray, C. A., Younkins, C. and Bermingham-McDonogh, O. (2010), Expression patterns of FGF receptors in the developing mammalian cochlea. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1019–1026. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22236
- Issue published online: 11 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 3 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 DEC 2009
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: DC005953, P30DC00466
- Hearing Regeneration Initiative
- 2003. Requirements for FGF3 and FGF10 during inner ear formation. Development 130: 6329– 6338. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Skeletal overgrowth and deafness in mice lacking fibroblast growth factor receptor 3. Nat Genet 12: 390–397. , , , , .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factors in the developing central nervous system. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 28: 493–503. , , .
- 2009. Fgf16(IRESCre) mice: a tool to inactivate genes expressed in inner ear cristae and spiral prominence epithelium. Dev Dyn 238: 358–366. , , .
- 2007. Loss of Fgfr3 leads to excess hair cell development in the mouse organ of Corti. Dev Dyn 236: 525–533. , , .
- 2008. Fgf20 is required for sensory epithelial specification in the developing cochlea. J Neurosci 28: 5991– 5999. , , .
- 2001. [FGFs as multifunctional signaling molecules: diversity of structure and function]. Seikagaku 73: 525–535. .
- 2004. Evolution of the Fgf and Fgfr gene families. Trends Genet 20: 563–569. , .
- 2008. Functional evolutionary history of the mouse Fgf gene family. Dev Dyn 237: 18–27. , .
- 2007. Fgf8 induces pillar cell fate and regulates cellular patterning in the mammalian cochlea. Development 134: 3021– 3029. , , , , .
- 2005. FGF8 initiates inner ear induction in chick and mouse. Genes Dev 19: 603–613. , , , , .
- 1985. Developmental morphology of the mouse inner ear. A scanning electron microscopic observation. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 422: 1–69. , .
- 1993. Mice homozygous for a targeted disruption of the proto-oncogene int-2 have developmental defects in the tail and inner ear. Development 117: 13–28. , , .
- 2009. Hearing loss in a mouse model of Muenke syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 18: 43–50. , , , , , .
- 2006. Competence of cranial ectoderm to respond to Fgf signaling suggests a two-step model of otic placode induction. Development 133: 877–887. , .
- 1998. Development of the mouse inner ear and origin of its sensory organs. J Neurosci 18: 3327–3335. , , , , .
- 2007. The first steps towards hearing: mechanisms of otic placode induction. Int J Dev Biol 51: 463–472. , , .
- 2001. Fibroblast growth factors. Genome Biol 2: REVIEWS3005. , .
- 2003. Expression and function of FGF10 in mammalian inner ear development. Dev Dyn 227: 203–215. , , , , , .
- 1993. Unique expression pattern of the FGF receptor 3 gene during mouse organogenesis. Dev Biol 155: 423–430. , , , .
- 2001. The expression of fibroblast growth factors and their receptors in the embryonic and neonatal mouse inner ear. Hear Res 155: 54–62. .
- 1995. The site of action of neuronal acidic fibroblast growth factor is the organ of Corti of the rat cochlea. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 9269–9273. , , , , , .
- 2000. FGF/FGFR-2(IIIb) signaling is essential for inner ear morphogenesis. J Neurosci 20: 6125–6134. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. FGFR1 is required for the development of the auditory sensory epithelium. Neuron 35: 671. , , , , , .
- 2007. Disruption of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 signaling results in defects in cellular differentiation, neuronal patterning, and hearing impairment. Dev Dyn 236: 1905–1917. , , , , , , , .
- 1967. Development of the inner ear of the mouse: a radioautographic study of terminal mitoses. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 220: 1–44. .
- 1971. The embryonic and postnatal development of the inner ear of the mouse. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 285: 1–77. .
- 2005. Sprouty2, a mouse deafness gene, regulates cell fate decisions in the auditory sensory epithelium by antagonizing FGF signaling. Dev Cell 8: 553–564. , , , .
- 1989. The house mouse: atlas of mouse development. New York: Springer- Verlag. .
- 2009. Inactivation of fibroblast growth factor receptor signaling in myelinating glial cells results in significant loss of adult spiral ganglion neurons accompanied by age-related hearing impairment. J Neurosci Res 87: 3428–3437. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Fgf3 and Fgf10 are required for mouse otic placode induction. Development 130: 3379– 3390. , .
- 2003. Expression of mouse fibroblast growth factor and fibroblast growth factor receptor genes during early inner ear development. Dev Dyn 228: 267– 272. , , , , , .
- 2006. Receptor specificity of the fibroblast growth factor family. The complete mammalian FGF family. J Biol Chem 281: 15694–15700. , , , , , .