BMP regulation of myogenesis in zebrafish
Article first published online: 11 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 3, pages 806–817, March 2010
How to Cite
Patterson, S. E., Bird, N. C. and Devoto, S. H. (2010), BMP regulation of myogenesis in zebrafish. Dev. Dyn., 239: 806–817. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22243
- Issue published online: 11 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 11 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 NOV 2009
- NIH. Grant Numbers: R01 HD37509, R01 HD044929
- 1999. A molecular mechanism enabling continuous embryonic muscle growth: a balance between proliferation and differentiation. Development 126: 1041–1053. , , .
- 2006. Myostatin imposes reversible quiescence on embryonic muscle precursors. Dev Dyn 235: 672–680. , , , , .
- 1982. Immunochemical analysis of myosin heavy-chain during avian myogenesis in vivo and in vitro. J Cell Biol 95: 763–770. , , .
- 2001. Distinct mechanisms regulate slow-muscle development. Curr Biol 11: 1432–1438. , , , .
- 2009. Distinct and dynamic myogenic populations in the vertebrate embryo. Curr Opin Genet Dev 19: 444–453. ,
- 1996. Cyclopia and defective axial patterning in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog gene function. Nature 383: 407–413. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Identification of separate slow and fast muscle precursor cells in vivo, prior to somite formation. Development 122: 3371–3380. , , , .
- 2006. Generality of vertebrate developmental patterns: evidence for a dermomyotome in fish. Evol Dev 8: 101–110. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Smad1 and Smad5 have distinct roles during dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Dev Dyn 216: 285–298. , , .
- 1997. Positive and negative regulation of muscle cell identity by members of the hedgehog and TGF-beta gene families. J Cell Biol 139: 145–156. , , , .
- 2007. BMP-4 and Noggin signaling modulate dorsal fin and somite development in the axolotl trunk. Dev Dyn 236: 2464–2474. , , , .
- 2002. Endogenous patterns of BMP signaling during early chick development. Dev Biol 244: 44–65. , , , .
- 2006. Hedgehog acts directly on the zebrafish dermomyotome to promote myogenic differentiation. Dev Biol 300: 736–746. , , .
- 2005. Fgf8 drives myogenic progression of a novel lateral fast muscle fibre population in zebrafish. Development 132: 4211–4222. , , .
- 2000. Laser-induced gene expression in specific cells of transgenic zebrafish. Development 127: 1953–1960. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Retinoic acid activates myogenesis in vivo through Fgf8 signalling. Dev Biol 289: 127–140. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Signals and myogenic regulatory factors restrict pax3 and pax7 expression to dermomyotome-like tissue in zebrafish. Dev Biol 302: 504–521. , , , , , .
- 2007. Mef2s are required for thick filament formation in nascent muscle fibers. Development 134: 2511–2519. , .
- 2007. Whole-somite rotation generates muscle progenitor cell compartments in the developing zebrafish embryo. Dev Cell 12: 207–219. , , , , , .
- 2006. Asymmetric localization of numb in the chick somite and the influence of myogenic signals. Dev Dyn 235: 633–645. , , .
- 1997. Distributions of PAX6 and PAX7 proteins suggest their involvement in both early and late phases of chick brain development. Mech Dev 66: 119–130. , , , .
- 2005. The zebrafish-secreted matrix protein you/scube2 is implicated in long-range regulation of hedgehog signaling. Curr Biol 15: 480–488. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 2003. Intrinsic signals regulate the initial steps of myogenesis in vertebrates. Development 130: 4797–4807. , , , .
- 1997. Coordinate actions of BMPs, Wnts, Shh and noggin mediate patterning of the dorsal somite. Development 124: 3955–3963. , , .
- 1997. Regulation of skeletal muscle mass in mice by a new TGF-beta superfamily member. Nature 387: 83–90. , , .
- 1999. Characterization of zebrafish smad1, smad2 and smad5: the amino-terminus of smad1 and smad5 is required for specific function in the embryo. Mech Dev 88: 73–88. , , , , , .
- 1995. Combinatorial signaling by Sonic hedgehog and Wnt family members induces myogenic bHLH gene expression in the somite. Genes Dev 9: 2911–2922. , , , , .
- 1996. Lateral and axial signals involved in avian somite patterning: a role for BMP4. Cell 84: 461–471. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Transgenic zebrafish reveal stage-specific roles for Bmp signaling in ventral and posterior mesoderm development. Development 132: 2333–2343. , , .
- 2006. Sustained Bmp signaling is essential for cloaca development in zebrafish. Development 133: 2275–2284. , , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of dorsal somitic cell fates: BMPs and Noggin control the timing and pattern of myogenic regulator expression. Genes Dev 12: 290–303. , , .
- 2007. Premature myogenic differentiation and depletion of progenitor cells cause severe muscle hypotrophy in Delta1 mutants. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 537–542. , , .
- 2002. Localized BMP4-noggin interactions generate the dynamic patterning of noggin expression in somites. Dev Biol 246: 311–328. , .
- 2007. Dynamic somite cell rearrangements lead to distinct waves of myotome growth. Development 134: 1253–1257. , , , , .
- 2007. Zebrafish bmp4 functions during late gastrulation to specify ventroposterior cell fates. Dev Biol 310: 71–84. , , , , .
- 2008. The BMP signaling gradient patterns dorsoventral tissues in a temporally progressive manner along the anteroposterior axis. Dev Cell 14: 108–119. , , .
- 2003. Analysis of myostatin gene structure, expression and function in zebrafish. J Exp Biol 206: 4067–4079. , , , .