Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression patterns of hormones, signaling molecules, and transcription factors during adenohypophysis development in the chick embryo
Article first published online: 19 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 4, pages 1197–1210, April 2010
How to Cite
Parkinson, N., Collins, M. M., Dufresne, L. and Ryan, A. K. (2010), Expression patterns of hormones, signaling molecules, and transcription factors during adenohypophysis development in the chick embryo. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1197–1210. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22250
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 19 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JAN 2010
- 1999. Prenatal development of hematopoietic and hormone-producing cells in the chicken adenohypophysis. Gen Comp Endocrinol 114: 213–224. , , , , , .
- 1995. P-Lim, a LIM homeodomain factor, is expressed during pituitary organ and cell commitment and synergizes with Pit-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 2720–2724. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Vertebrate cranial placodes I. Embryonic induction. Dev Biol 232: 1–61. , .
- 2005. PITX genes are required for cell survival and Lhx3 activation. Mol Endocrinol 19: 1893–1903. , , , , , .
- 1988. The fate map of the cephalic neural primordium at the presomitic to the 3-somite stage in the avian embryo. Development 103( Suppl): 101–113. , .
- 2001. Signaling and transcriptional mechanisms in pituitary development. Annu Rev Neurosci 24: 327–355. , .
- 2007. Noggin regulates Bmp4 activity during pituitary induction. Dev Biol 305: 145–160. , .
- 1993. Pro-opiomelanocortin gene is expressed in post-implantation mouse embryos and enhances growth potential of myogenic cells. Dev Dyn 198: 265–272. , , , , .
- 2008. The chicken embryo as a model for developmental endocrinology: development of the thyrotropic, corticotropic, and somatotropic axes. Mol Cell Endocrinol 293: 17–24. , , .
- 2000. An important role for the IIIb isoform of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2) in mesenchymal-epithelial signaling during mouse organogenesis. Development 127: 483–492. , , , , , .
- 2009. A dynamic Gli code interprets Hh signals to regulate induction, patterning, and endocrine cell specification in the zebrafish pituitary. Dev Biol 326: 143–154. , , , , , .
- 1997. Development and differentiation of pituitary cells. Microsc Res Tech 39: 98–113. , , .
- 1995. Fate of the anterior neural ridge and the morphogenesis of the Xenopus forebrain. J Neurobiol 28: 146–158. , , .
- 1964. Developmental abnormalities in the trunk and limbs of the Talpid3 mutant of the fowl. J Embryol Exp Morphol 12: 339–356. , .
- 1993. Experimental evidence for an early commitment of gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurons, with special regard to their origin from the ectoderm of nasal cavity presumptive territory. Neuroendocrinology 57: 991–1002. , .
- 1998. Integrated FGF and BMP signaling controls the progression of progenitor cell differentiation and the emergence of pattern in the embryonic anterior pituitary. Development 125: 1005–1015. , , , .
- 2004. Evidence that lactotrophs do not differentiate directly from somatotrophs during chick embryonic development. J Endocrinol 183: 417–425. , , .
- 1999. Dosage requirement of Pitx2 for development of multiple organs. Development 126: 4643–4651. , , .
- 1981. Appearance of LH-immunoreactive cells in the Rathke's pouch of the chicken embryo. Differentiation 20: 77–80. , .
- 1999. Tissue interactions in the induction of anterior pituitary: role of the ventral diencephalon, mesenchyme, and notochord. Dev Biol 213: 340–353. , , .
- 2000. Extra-pituitary growth hormone in peripheral tissues of early chick embryos. J Endocrinol 166: 489–502. , , .
- 2003. Adenohypophysis formation in the zebrafish and its dependence on sonic hedgehog. Dev Biol 254: 36–49. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development 131: 3681–3692. , , , , , .
- 1979. Rathke's pouch morphogenesis in the chick embryo. J Exp Zool 207: 351–366. , , .
- 2000. Expression of the common alpha-subunit mRNA of glycoprotein hormones during the chick pituitary organogenesis, with special reference to the pars tuberalis. Cell Tissue Res 299: 71–80. , , .
- 1994. Prolactin, growth hormone, and luteinizing hormone-beta subunit gene expression in the cephalic and caudal lobes of the anterior pituitary gland during embryogenesis and different reproductive stages in the chicken. Gen Comp Endocrinol 96: 197–205. , , , .
- 2000. Zebrafish mutations in Gli-mediated hedgehog signaling lead to lens transdifferentiation from the adenohypophysis anlage. Mech Dev 96: 165–174. , , , , , .
- 1999. Hindlimb patterning and mandible development require the Ptx1 gene. Development 126: 1805–1810. , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of ptc and gli genes in talpid3 suggests bifurcation in Shh pathway. Development 126: 2397–2407. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Pitx2 regulates lung asymmetry, cardiac positioning and pituitary and tooth morphogenesis. Nature 401: 279–282. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Developmental changes of Islet-1 and its co-localization with pituitary hormones in the pituitary gland of chick embryo by immunohistochemistry. Cell Tissue Res 322: 279–287. , , , , .
- 2004. Development of gonadotropes in the chicken embryonic pituitary gland. Zool Sci 21: 435–444. , , , , , .
- 2005. Ontogeny of pituitary thyrotrophs and regulation by endogenous thyroid hormone feedback in the chick embryo. J Endocrinol 184: 407–416. , , .
- 2001. Extrapituitary beta TSH and GH in early chick embryos. Mol Cell Endocrinol 185: 161–171. , .
- 2004. Development of thyroid-stimulating hormone beta subunit-producing cells in the chicken embryonic pituitary gland. Cells Tissues Organs 177: 21–28. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Fibroblast growth factor signaling is required for the proliferation and patterning of progenitor cells in the developing anterior pituitary. Mech Dev 96: 175–182. , , .
- 1994. Development of cranial flexure and Rathke's pouch in the chick embryo. Anat Rec 238: 407–414. , , .
- 1995. Ontogeny of growth hormone (GH)-secreting cells during chicken embryonic development: initial somatotrophs are responsive to GH-releasing hormone. Endocrinology 136: 1850– 1856. , , , .
- 2002. FSH- and LH-cells originate as separate cell populations and at different embryonic stages in the chicken embryo. Gen Comp Endocrinol 127: 242–248. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Embryonic development of the pituitary gland in the chick. Cells Tissues Organs 173: 65–74. , , , , , .
- 2003. Transcriptional control during mammalian anterior pituitary development. Gene 319: 1–19. , , , .
- 2003. Multiple roles for Hedgehog signaling in zebrafish pituitary development. Dev Biol 254: 19–35. , , .
- 1997. Multistep control of pituitary organogenesis. Science 278: 1809–1812. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Specification of pituitary cell lineages by the LIM homeobox gene Lhx3. Science 272: 1004–1007. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Gene expression pattern of Claudin-1 during chick embryogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns 5: 553–560. , , .
- 2006. Alterations in heart looping induced by overexpression of the tight junction protein Claudin-1 are dependent on its C-terminal cytoplasmic tail. Mech Dev 123: 210–227. , , , , .
- 2008. Expression patterns of Shh, Ptc2, Raldh3, Pitx2, Isl1, Lim3 and Pax6 in the developing chick hypophyseal placode and Rathke's pouch. Gene Expr Patterns 8: 481–485. , .
- 1993. Cell contacts in early human pituitary development. Acta Anat (Basel) 148: 169–175. , , .
- 1998. Sonic hedgehog signaling is essential for hair development. Curr Biol 8: 1058–1068. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Pitx2 is required at multiple stages of pituitary organogenesis: pituitary primordium formation and cell specification. Development 129: 329–337. , , , .
- 1999. Role of the Bicoid-related homeodomain factor Pitx1 in specifying hindlimb morphogenesis and pituitary development. Genes Dev 13: 484–494. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Detailed analysis of formation of chicken pituitary primordium in early embryonic development. Cell Tissue Res 333: 417–426. , , , , .
- 1998. Formation of Rathke's pouch requires dual induction from the diencephalon. Development 125: 4835–4840. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Hypothalamo-hypophyseal thyroid interrelationships in the chick embryo. IV. Immunocytochemical demonstration of TSH in the phyophyseal pars distalis. Gen Comp Endocrinol 51: 10. , , , , , .
- 1987. Ontogenesis of immunocytochemically demonstrable somatotrophs in the adenohypophyseal pars distalis of the developing chick embryo. Gen Comp Endocrinol 67: 390–398. , , , .
- 1998. Multistep signaling requirements for pituitary organogenesis in vivo. Genes Dev 12: 1691–1704. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Hedgehog signaling is required for pituitary gland development. Development 128: 377–386. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. How many homeobox genes does it take to make a pituitary gland? Trends Genet 14: 284–290. , .
- 1998. Ontogeny of prolactin-secreting cells during chick embryonic development: effect of vasoactive intestinal peptide. Gen Comp Endocrinol 112: 240–246. , .
- 1995. Expression pattern of the murine LIM class homeobox gene Lhx3 in subsets of neural and neuroendocrine tissues. Dev Dyn 202: 354–364. , , , , .
- 2006. Independent differentiation of mammotropes and somatotropes in the chicken embryonic pituitary gland. Analysis by cell distribution and attempt to detect somatomammotropes. Histochem Cell Biol 125: 429–439. , , , , , .