Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Patterns & Phenotypes
Differential expression and regulation by activin of the neurotrophins BDNF and NT4 during human and mouse ovarian development†
Article first published online: 19 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 4, pages 1211–1219, April 2010
How to Cite
Childs, A. J., Bayne, R. A.L., Murray, A. A., Martins Da Silva, S. J., Collins, C. S., Spears, N. and Anderson, R. A. (2010), Differential expression and regulation by activin of the neurotrophins BDNF and NT4 during human and mouse ovarian development. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1211–1219. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22252
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 19 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JAN 2010
- Medical Research Council. Grant Numbers: WBS U.1276.00.002.00001, G0400868
- 2002. Neurotropins and their receptors are expressed in the human fetal ovary. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 890–897. , , , .
- 1963. A quantitative and cytological study of germ cells in human ovaries. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 158: 417–433. .
- 2009. Prostaglandin E2 as a regulator of germ cells during ovarian development. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94: 4053–4060. , , , , , .
- 2008. The role of neurotrophins during early development. Gene Expr 14: 241–250. .
- 2000. Neurotrophins: key regulators of cell fate and cell shape in the vertebrate nervous system. Genes Dev 14: 2919–2937. , .
- 2006. Postnatal regulation of germ cells by activin: the establishment of the initial follicle pool. Dev Biol 298: 132–148. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Activin A selectively represses expression of the membrane-bound isoform of Kit ligand in human fetal ovary. Fertil Steril 92: 1416–1419. , .
- 1995. Neuronal deficits, not involving motor neurons, in mice lacking BDNF and/or NT4. Nature 375: 235–238. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Activin signals via SMAD2/3 between germ and somatic cells in the human fetal ovary and regulates kit ligand expression. Dev Biol 314: 189–199. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Neurotrophins: neurotrophic modulation of neurite growth. Curr Biol 10: R198–R200. .
- 1995. Expression of neurotrophins and their receptors in the mammalian ovary is developmentally regulated: changes at the time of folliculogenesis. Endocrinology 136: 4681–4692. , , , .
- 2002. Neurotrophic control of ovarian development. Microsc Res Tech 59: 509–515. , , , .
- 2009. Role of neurotrophic factors in early ovarian development. Semin Reprod Med 27: 24–31. , , .
- 2000. Knocking the NT4 gene into the BDNF locus rescues BDNF deficient mice and reveals distinct NT4 and BDNF activities. Nat Neurosci 3: 350–357. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Gene expression analysis of human fetal ovarian primordial follicle formation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94: 1427–1435. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Germ cell proliferation and apoptosis in the developing human ovary. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90: 4664–4670. , , , .
- 1991. Evolutionary studies of the nerve growth factor family reveal a novel member abundantly expressed in Xenopus ovary. Neuron 6: 845–858. , , .
- 2002. Developmental changes in expression of myeloid cell leukemia-1 in human germ cells during oogenesis and early folliculogenesis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 3417–3427. , , , , .
- 1991. Development of follicles in the mammalian ovary. Int Rev Cytol 124: 43–101. .
- 2009. Global gene expression in the human fetal testis and ovary. Biol Reprod 81: 438–443. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The protean actions of neurotrophins and their receptors on the life and death of neurons. Trends Neurosci 28: 5–11. .
- 2009. TrkA and TrkB receptors facilitate follicle assembly and early follicular development in the mouse ovary. Reproduction 138: 131–140. , , , , .
- 1995. Sensory but not motor neuron deficits in mice lacking NT4 and BDNF. Nature 375: 238–241. , , , .
- 2004. Expression of activin subunits and receptors in the developing human ovary: activin A promotes germ cell survival and proliferation before primordial follicle formation. Dev Biol 266: 334–345. , , , , , .
- 1998. Point mutation in trkB causes loss of NT4-dependent neurons without major effects on diverse BDNF responses. Neuron 21: 335–345. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Neurotrophic and cell-cell dependent control of early follicular development. Mol Cell Endocrinol 163: 67–71. , , , .
- 2004. TrkB receptors are required for follicular growth and oocyte survival in the mammalian ovary. Dev Biol 267: 430–449. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Mouse ovarian germ cell cysts undergo programmed breakdown to form primordial follicles. Dev Biol 234: 339–351. , .
- 2006. Neurotrophins mediate human embryonic stem cell survival. Nat Biotechnol 24: 344–350. , , .
- 2003. The human fetal testis is a site of expression of neurotrophins and their receptors: regulation of the germ cell and peritubular cell population. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 3943–3951. , , .
- 2005. Regulation of primordial follicle assembly and development. Hum Reprod Update 11: 461–471. .
- 2003. The role of neurotrophin receptors in female germ-cell survival in mouse and human. Development 130: 5481–5491. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Pleiotropic functions of neurotrophins in development. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 9: 125–137. .
- 2009. The primordial pool of follicles and nest breakdown in mammalian ovaries. Mol Hum Reprod 15: 795–803. , , .
- 2009. Suppression of Notch signaling in the neonatal mouse ovary decreases primordial follicle formation. Endocrinology 150: 1014–1024. , , .
- 2005. A germ cell origin of embryonic stem cells? Development 132: 227–233. , .