Differential time course of FSH/FSH receptor complex endocytosis within sertoli and germ cells during rat testis development
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 4, pages 1113–1123, April 2010
How to Cite
Segretain, D., Gilleron, J., Carette, D., Denizot, J.-P. and Pointis, G. (2010), Differential time course of FSH/FSH receptor complex endocytosis within sertoli and germ cells during rat testis development. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1113–1123. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22261
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JAN 2010
- Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale (INSERM)
- Conseil régional d'Ile de France. Grant Number: Sesame grant E.1774
- 1998. Localization of human follicle-stimulating hormone in the testis. FASEB J 12: 1045–1054. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Internalization and recycling pathways of the thyrotropin receptor. Mol Endocrinol 13: 1751–1765. , , , , , .
- 1998. The basolateral localization signal of the follicle-stimulating hormone receptor. J Biol Chem 273: 18610–18616. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Localization of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) immunoreactivity and hormone receptor mRNA in testicular tissue of infertile men. Cell Tissue Res 278: 595–600. , , , .
- 2005. Targeting gonadotropin receptor genes: reproductive biology, aging, and related health implications. Endocrine 26: 219–226. , .
- 1993. Functional properties of polyclonal antibodies raised against the N-terminus region (residues 9–30) of the follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) receptor: significance of this receptor region in FSH recognition and signal transduction. Endocrinology 133: 1593–1601. , .
- 2004. Functional characterization of Cx43 based gap junctions during spermatogenesis. J Cell Physiol 200: 145–154. , , , .
- 1991. Endocytosis of human sex steroid-binding protein in monkey germ cells. Ann NY Acad Sci 637: 258–276. , , , , , .
- 1994. How protein hormones reach their target cells. Receptor-mediated transcytosis of hCG through endothelial cells. J Cell Biol 125: 87–97. , , , .
- 1993. Postnatal and pubertal development. In: Russell LD, Griswold MD, editors. The Sertoli cell. Clearwater, FL: Cache River Press. p 115–154 , .
- 2009. New roles for endosomes: from vesicular carriers to multi-purpose platforms. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10: 287–292 , .
- 1993. Actions of FSH on mammalian Sertoli cells. In: Russell LD, Griswold MD, editors. The Sertoli cell. Clearwater, FL: Cache River Press. p 494–508. .
- 1998. The central role of Sertoli cells in spermatogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol 9: 411–416. .
- 2002. The expression of the follicle-stimulating hormone receptor in spermatogenesis. Recent Prog Horm Res 57: 129–148. , .
- 2008. In vivo regulation of FSH-receptor (Fshr) by the transcription factors USF1 and USF2 is cell specific. Endocrinology 149: 5297–5306. , , , , .
- 2000. Mutations of gonadotrophin and gonadotrophin receptor genes: what do they teach us about reproductive physiology? J Reprod Fertil 119: 173–186. .
- 1971. Use of ferrocyanide-reduced osmium tetroxide in electron microscopy. Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual Meeting of the American Society for Cell Biology, Nov. 17-20, New Orleans. 11th Am Soc Cell Biol 284: 146. .
- 1988. An ultrastructural and morphometric analysis of the Sertoli cell during the spermatogenic cycle of the rat. Anat Embryol (Berlin) 179: 191–203. .
- 2003. Postendocytotic trafficking of the follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)-FSH receptor complex. Mol Endocrinol 17: 2162–2176. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Ligands for clathrin-mediated endocytosis are differentially sorted into distinct populations of early endosomes. Cell 124: 997–1009. , , .
- 2008. Itinerant exosomes: emerging roles in cell and tissue polarity. Trends Cell Biol 18: 199–209. , .
- 1999. The effects of aging on the seminiferous epithelium and the blood-testis barrier of the Brown Norway rat. J Androl 20: 356–365 , , , .
- 2009. Proteomics of the lysosome. Biochim Biophys Acta 1793: 625–635. , , .
- 2002. Relative labelling index: a novel stereological approach to test for non-random immunogold labelling of organelles and membranes on transmission electron microscopy thin sections. J Microsc 205: 153–164. , , .
- 2009. A review of recent methods for efficiently quantifying immunogold and other nanoparticles using TEM sections through cells, tissues and organs. Ann Anat 191: 153–170. , , , .
- 2008. Molecular pathology of the FSH receptor: new insights into FSH physiology. Mol Cell Endocrinol 282: 130–142. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Receptor-mediated endocytosis of transferrin by Sertoli cells of the rat. Biol Reprod 35: 393–405. , .
- 1983. Demonstration of fluid-phase endocytosis in epithelial cells of the male reproductive system by means of horseradish peroxidase-colloidal gold complex. Cell Tissue Res 230: 503–510. , .
- 1986. FSH-induced Sertoli cell proliferation in the developing rat is modified by beta-endorphin produced in the testis. Endocrinology 119: 1876–1878. .
- 1984. The role of follicle-stimulating hormone in controlling Sertoli cell proliferation in testes of fetal rats. Endocrinology 115: 1248–1255. .
- 1978. Autoradiographic localization of FSH-binding sites on Sertoli cells and spermatogonia in testis from hyphysectomized rats. Endocrinology 101: 102–109. , .
- 1993. Macropinosome maturation and fusion with tubular lysosomes in macrophages. J Cell Biol 121: 1011–1020. , .
- 1996. Stage-specific expression of the FSH receptor gene in the prepubertal and adult rat seminiferous epithelium. J Endocrinol 151: 29–35. , , , , , .
- 1989. The follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) receptor in testis: interaction with FSH, mechanism of signal transduction and properties of the purified receptor. Biol Reprod 40: 13–26. , .
- 2009. Signaling from endosomes: Location makes a difference. Exp Cell Res 315: 1601–1609. , , .
- 2001. The role of follicle-stimulating hormone in spermatogenesis: lessons from knockout animal models. Arch Med Res 32: 601–608. , .
- 2007. Functional symmetry of endomembranes. Mol Biol Cell 18: 1430–1436. , .
- 1989. Endocytosis in spermatids during spermiogenesis of the mouse. Biol Cell 67: 289–298. .
- 1993. Endocytic activity of male germ cells during puberty. Biol Cell 78: 199–205. .
- 1981. Three dimensional arrangement of mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum in the heart muscle fiber of the rat. Anat Rec 200: 139–151. , , .
- 1992. Receptor-mediated and absorptive endocytosis by male germ cells of different mammalian species. Cell Tissue Res 268: 471–478. , , , , .
- 1989. Kinetic study of internalization and degradation of 131I-labeled follicle-stimulating hormone in mouse Sertoli cells and its relevance to other systems. J Biol Chem 264: 13632–13638. , .
- 1997. The follicle-stimulating hormone receptor: biochemistry, molecular biology, physiology, and pathophysiology. Endocr Rev 18: 739–773. , , .
- 2008. Hormonal regulation of spermatogenesis and spermiogenesis. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 109: 323–330. , , , , , .
- 1990. Morphometrical analysis of Sertoli cell ultrastructure during the seminiferous epithelial cycle in rats. Biol Reprod 43: 769–776. , .
- 2004. Receptor-mediated transcytosis of follicle-stimulating hormone through the rat testicular microvasculature. Biol Cell 96: 133–144. , , , .
- 1992. The second messenger pathway for germ cell-mediated stimulation of Sertoli cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 184: 217–224. , .
- 2008. Blood-testis barrier dynamics are regulated by testosterone and cytokines via their differential effects on the kinetics of protein endocytosis and recycling in Sertoli cells. FASEB J 22: 1945–1959. , , , .