Patterns & Phenotypes
Notch and delta mRNAs in early-stage and mid-stage drosophila embryos exhibit complementary patterns of protein-producing potentials
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 4, pages 1220–1233, April 2010
How to Cite
Shepherd, A., Wesley, U. and Wesley, C. (2010), Notch and delta mRNAs in early-stage and mid-stage drosophila embryos exhibit complementary patterns of protein-producing potentials. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1220–1233. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22262
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JAN 2010
- NIH (NINDS). Grant Number: NS43122
- Neuroscience COBRE. Grant Number: P20 RR016435
- University of Vermont College of Medicine Bridge
- 1989. Molecular genetics of Delta, a locus required for ectodermal differentiation in Drosophila. Dev Genetics 10: 261–272. , , , , , .
- 2004. The adhesion force of Notch with Delta and the rate of Notch signaling. J Cell Biol 167: 1217–1229. , , , .
- 1999. Notch signaling: Cell fate control and signal integration in development. Science 284: 770–776. , , .
- 2004. Drosophhila. A laboratory handbook. 2nd ed. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Press. p 1409. , , .
- 2005. The Notch amino terminus regulates protein levels and Delta induced clustering of Drosophila Notch receptors. Exp Cell Res 304: 202–223. , , , , .
- 2007. Patterns of variant polyadenylation signal usage in human genes. Genome Res 10: 1001–1010. , , , , .
- 2005. Rules of engagement: co-transcriptional recruitment of pre-mRNA processing factors. Curr Opin Cell Biol 17: 251–256. .
- 2003. Notch-induced proteolysis and nuclear localization of the Delta ligand. J Biol Chem 278: 13607–13610. , , .
- 1997. A functional analysis of Notch mutations in Drosophila. Genetics 147: 177–188. , , , .
- 2000. A novel proteolytic cleavage involved in Notch signaling: the role of the disintegrin-metalloprotease TACE. Mol Cell 5: 207–216. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Glycosyltransferase activity of Fringe modulates Notch-Delta interactions. Nature 406: 411–415. , , , .
- 1990. Lateral inhibition and cell fate during neurogenesis in Drosophila: the interactions between scute, Notch and Delta. Development 110: 733–742. .
- 1997. The embryonic development of Drosophila melanogaster, 2nd ed. New York: Springer. p 405. , .
- 2001. The EGF receptor and N signaling pathways act antagonistically in Drosophila mesothorax bristle patterning. Development 128: 299–308. , , .
- 2002. Hephaestus encodes a polypyrimidine tract binding protein that regulates Notch signalling during wing development in Drosophila melanogaster. Development 129: 5553–5566. , , , , .
- 1997. Notch signaling regulates veinlet expression and establishes boundaries between veins and interveins in the Drosophila veins. Development 124: 1919–1928. , , .
- 2007. Unmasking activation of the zygotic genome using chromosomal deletions in the Drosophila embryo. PLoS Biol 5: e117 , , , .
- 1996. Delta is a ventral to dorsal signal complementary to Serrate, another Notch ligand, in Drosophila wing formation. Genes Dev 10: 421–434. , , , , .
- 2005. Asymmetric Rab11 Endosomes regulate Delta recycling and specify cell fate in the Drosophila nervous system. Cell 122: 1–11 , , , , , , .
- 1990. Molecular interaction between the protein products of the neurogenic loci Notch and Delta, two EGF-homologous genes in Drosophila. Cell 61: 523–534. , , , , , , .
- 1993. An activated Notch receptor blocks cell-fate commitment in the developing Drosophila eye. Nature 365: 555–557. , , , .
- 1990. The pattern of transcription of the neurogenic gene Delta of Drosophila melanogaster. Development 110: 905–914. , , .
- 1991. The choice of cell fate in the epidermis of Drosophila. Cell 64: 1083–1092. , .
- 1996. Genes of the Enhancer of split and achaete-scute complexes are required for a regulatory loop between Notch and Delta during lateral signaling in Drosophila. Development 122: 161–171. , , , , .
- 1997. Feedback regulation is central to Delta-Notch signaling required for Drosophila wing vein morphogenesis. Development 124: 3283–3291. , , .
- 2003. The Notch ligands, Delta1 and Jagged2, are substrates for presenilin-dependent “gamma-secretase” cleavage. J Biol Chem 278: 7751–7754. , .
- 1994. fringe, a boundary-specific signaling molecule, mediates interactions between dorsal and ventral cells during Drosophila wing development. Cell 79: 595–606 , .
- 2002. Control of poly(A) polymerase level is essential to cytoplasmic polyadenylation and early development in Drosophila. EMBO J 21: 6603–6613. , , , , .
- 2007. Investigating the genetic circuitry of Mastermind in Drosophila, a Notch signal effector. Genetics 177: 2493–2505. , , , , , .
- 2003. The UCSC Genome Browser Database. Nucleic Acids Res 31: 51–54. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Ligand-receptor interactions and trans-endocytosis of Delta, Serrate and Notch: members of the Notch signaling pathway in Drosophila. Development 112: 3289–3297. , .
- 1993. Implications of dynamic patterns of Delta and Notch expression for cellular interactions during Drosophila development. Development 117: 493–507. , , .
- 1988. Delta, a Drosophila neurogenic gene, is transcriptionally complex and encodes a protein related to blood coagulation factors and epidermal grpwth factor of vertebrates. Genes Dev 2: 1723–1735. , , , , .
- 2004. Multiple links between transcription and splicing. RNA 10: 1489–1498. , , , , .
- 2001. Drosophila neuralized is a ubiquitin ligase that promotes the internalization and degradation of delta. Dev Cell 1: 783–794. , , , .
- 2003. The Notch ligands, Jagged and Delta, are sequentially processed by alpha-secretase and presenilin/gamma-secretase and release signaling fragments. J Biol Chem 278: 34427–34437. , .
- 2005. The roles of receptor and ligand endocytosis in regulating Notch signaling. Development 132: 1751–1762. , , .
- 2006. Evidence for involvement of dominant negative Notch molecules in the normal course of Drosophila development. Dev Dyn 235: 411–426. , , , .
- 2007. Global analysis of mRNA localization reveals a prominent role in organizing cellular architecture and function. Cell 131: 174–187. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The exon junction complex is detected on CBP80-bound but not eIF4E-bound mRNA in mammalian cells: dynamics of mRNP remodeling. EMBO J 21: 3536–3545. , , , .
- 2001. The 3′-end-processing factor CPSF is required for the splicing of single-intron pre-mRNAs in vivo. RNA 7: 920–931. , , , , .
- 2008. The zinc-finger protein Zelda is a key activator of the early zygotic genome in Drosophila. Nature 456: 400–403. , , , , , .
- 1992. Single amino acid substitutions in EGF-like elements of the Notch and Delta proteins modify Drosophila development and affect cell adhesion in vitro. Neuron 9: 847–859. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Antineurogenic phenotypes induced by truncated Notch proteins indicate a role in signal transduction and may point to a novel function for Notch in nuclei. Genes Dev 7: 1949–1965. , , , , .
- 2002. Kuzbanian-mediated cleavage of Drosophila Notch. Genes Dev 16: 209–221. , , .
- 2002. Down-regulation of Delta by proteolytic processing. J Cell Biol 159: 313–324. , , , .
- 2005. Delta activity independent of its activity as a ligand of Notch. BMC Dev Biol 5: 6. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Fringe is a glycosyltransferase that modifies Notch. Nature 406: 369–375. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Snail is required for Delta endocytosis and Notch-dependent activation of single-minded expression. Dev Genes Evol 213: 65–72. , , .
- 2000. Notch signaling: from the outside in. Dev Biol 228: 151–165. , .
- 2001. The hiiragi gene encodes a poly(A) polymerase, which controls the formation of the wing margin in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol 233: 137–147. , , , , , .
- 1996. Persistent expression of genes of the enhancer of split complex suppresses neural development in Drosophila. Neuron 16: 275–286. , .
- 2003. Quantitative analysis of bristle number in Drosophila melanogaster mutants identifies genes involved in neural development. Curr Biol 13: 1388–1397. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Translational repression determining neuronal potential in Drosophila asymmetric cell division. Nature 411: 94–98. , , , , .
- 2002. Mushashi: a translational regulator of cell fate. J Cell Sci 115: 1355–1359. , , .
- 2002. Notch ligands are substrates for protein O-Fucosyltransferase-1 and Fringe. J Biol Chem 277: 29945–29952. , , , , , .
- 2000. Ligand endocytosis drives receptor dissociation and activation in the Notch pathway. Development 127: 1373–1385. , , , .
- 2001. neuralized encodes a peripheral membrane protein involved in delta signaling and endocytosis. Dev Cell 1: 807–816. , , , , , .
- 2007. The master switch gene Sex-lethal promotes female development by negatively regulating the N-signaling pathway. Dev Cell 12: 275–286. , .
- 1999. Processing of the notch ligand delta by the metalloprotease Kuzbanian. Science 283: 91–94. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A conserved mRNA export machinery coupled to pre-mRNA splicing. Cell 108: 523–531. , .
- 1999. The Drosophila centrosomal protein Nuf is required for recruiting Dah, a membrane associated protein, to furrows in the early embryo. J Cell Sci 112: 2885–2893. , , , , .
- 1998. Notchless encodes a novel WD40-repeat-containing protein that modulates Notch signaling activity. EMBO J 17: 7351–7360. , , .
- 1998. Evidence for a novel Notch pathway required for muscle precursor selection in Drosophila. Mech Dev 79: 39–50. , .
- 2004. Drosophila Nedd4 regulates endocytosis of notch and suppresses its ligand-independent activation. Curr Biol 14: 2228–2236. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Unidirectional Notch signaling depends on continuous cleavage of Delta. Development 132: 123–132. , , , , .
- 2004. Notch signaling activity. Curr Biol 14: R129–138. .
- 1975. Temperature-sensitive mutations of the Notch locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 81: 143–162. , .
- 1978. Temperature-sensitive periods and autonomy of pleiotropic effects of l(1)Nts1, a conditional Notch lethal in Drosophila. Dev Biol 62: 432–446. , .
- 2009. Notch mRNA expression in Drosophila embryos is negatively regulated at the level of mRNA 3′ processing. PloS One 4: e8063. , , .
- 2003. The Notch ligand Delta 1 is sequentially cleaved by an ADAM protease and □-secretase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 7638–7643. , , , , , , .
- 2001. ELAV inhibits 3′-end processing to promote neural splicing of ewg pre-mRNA. Genes Dev 17: 2526–538. , .
- 1993. Intrinsic activity of the Lin-12 and Notch intracellular domains in vivo. Cell 74: 331–345. , , .
- 2002. An EGFR/Ebi/Sno pathway promotes delta expression by inactivating Su(H)/SMRTER repression during inductive notch signaling. Cell 110: 625–637. , , , .
- 1987. The neurogenic gene Delta of Drosophila melanogaster is expressed in neurogenic territories and encodes a putative transmembrane protein with EGF-like repeats. EMBO J 6: 3431–3440. , , , .
- 2004. Drosophila Epsin mediates a select endocytic pathway that DSL ligands must enter to activate Notch. Development 131: 5367–5380. , .
- 2005. Distinct roles for Mind bomb, Neuralized and Epsin in mediating DSL endocytosis and signaling in Drosophila. Development 132: 2883–2894. , .
- 1998. Circularization of mRNA by eukaryotic translation initiation factors. Mol Cell 2: 135–140. , , , .
- 1998. Looking at embryos. In: Roberts DB, editor. Drosophila. A practical approach, 2nd ed. Ithaca, NY: IRL Press. p 179–214. , .
- 1998. Circularization of mRNA by eukaryotic translation initiation factors. Mol Cell 2: 135–140. , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of Notch signaling by a novel mechanism involving Suppressor of Hairless stability and carboxyl terminus-truncated Notch. Mol Cell Biol 23: 5581–5593. , .
- 2000. Analysis of Notch lacking the carboxyl terminus identified in Drosophila embryos. J Cell Biol 149: 683–696. , .
- 2002. A PUF family portrait: 3′UTR regulation as a way of life. Trends Genet 18: 150–157. , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of notch endosomal sorting and signaling by Drosophila Nedd4 family proteins. Curr Biol 14: 2237–2244. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001a. Poly(A)-binding proteins regulate both mRNA deadenylation and decapping in yeast cytoplasmic extracts. RNA 7: 1416–1424. , , , , .
- 2001b. The cap-to-tail guide to mRNA turnover. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2: 237–246. , , .
- 1990. The Notch locus and the genetic circuitry involved in early Drosophila neurogenesis. Genes Dev 4: 464–475. , , , , .
- 1999. Antagonism of EGFR and Notch signaling in the reiterative recruitment of Drosophila adult chordotonal sense organ precursors. Development 126: 3149–3157. , .
- 2004. EGF receptor signaling triggers recruitment of Drosophila sense organ precursors by stimulating proneural gene autoregulation. Dev Cell 7: 687–696. , , , , .