High-affinity folate receptor in cardiac neural crest migration: A gene knockdown model using siRNA
Version of Record online: 16 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 4, pages 1136–1144, April 2010
How to Cite
Rosenquist, T. H., Chaudoin, T., Finnell, R. H. and Bennett, G. D. (2010), High-affinity folate receptor in cardiac neural crest migration: A gene knockdown model using siRNA. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1136–1144. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22270
- Issue online: 16 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 16 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 FEB 2010
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
- NIH. Grant Number: PO1 HL 66398
- 1998. Dextromethorphan and other N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonists are teratogenic in the avian embryo model. Pediatr Res 43: 1–7. , , .
- 2004. Translational upregulation of folate receptors is mediated by homocysteine via RNA-heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein E1 interactions. J Clin Invest 113: 285–301. , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Effects of the size of lesions of the cardiac neural crest at various embryonic ages on incidence and type of cardiac defects. Circulation 73: 360–364. , , , .
- 2003. Folic acid and homocysteine affect neural crest and neuroepithelial cell outgrowth and differentiation in vitro. Dev Dyn 227: 301–308. , , , , , .
- 2004. Cardiac outflow tract malformations in chick embryos exposed to homocysteine. Cardiovasc Res 64: 365–373. , , , , , .
- 1996. Periconceptional multivitamin use and the occurrence of conotruncal heart defects: results from a population-based, case-control study. Pediatrics 98: 911–917. , , , .
- 2000. Occurrence of congenital heart defects in relation to maternal multivitamin use. Am J Epidemiol 151: 878–884. , , .
- 2002. Effect of elevated homocysteine on cardiac neural crest migration in vitro. Dev Dyn 224: 222–230. , .
- 2006. Mild folate deficiency induces a proatherosclerotic phenotype in endothelial cells. Atherosclerosis 189: 133–141. , , , , , .
- 2002. Investigation of the effects of folate deficiency on embryonic development through the establishment of a folate deficient mouse model. Teratology 65: 219–227. , , , .
- 2002. Association between the cell cycle and neural crest delamination through specific regulation of G1/S transition. Dev Cell 3: 383–395. , .
- 2000. Genetic and developmental modulation of cardiac deficits in prenatal alcohol exposure. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24: 102–109. , .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 1998. Trends in infant mortality attributable to birth defects-United States, 1980–1995. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 47: 773–778.
- 1998. Periconceptional folic acid containing multivitamin supplementation. Euro J Obst Gynecol 78: 151–161. .
- 1995. Nutritional supplementation and prevention of congenital abnormalities. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 7: 88–94. .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 2007. Estrogen-induced and TAFII30-mediated gene repression by direct recruitment of the estrogen receptor and co-repressors to the core promoter and its reversal by tamoxifen. Oncogene 26: 7872–7884. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Incidence of congenital heart disease: postnatal incidence. Pediatr Cardiol 16: 103–113. .
- 2002. The incidence of congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 39: 1890–1900. , .
- 2007. Model systems for the study of heart development and disease. Cardiac neural crest and conotruncal malformations. Semin Cell Dev Biol 18: 101–110. , .
- 1993. Altered folate-binding protein mRNA stability in KB cells grown in folate-deficient medium. Biochem Pharmacol 45: 2537– 2545. , .
- 1999. Comparison of the Ki-67 score and S-phase fraction as prognostic variables in soft-tissue sarcoma. Br J Cancer 79: 945–951. , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Neural crest cells contribute to normal aorticopulmonary septation. Science 220: 1059–1061. , , .
- 1985. Characterization of conotruncal malformations following ablation of Cardiac neural crest. Anat Rec 223: 87–93. , , .
- 2004. A primer on using in ovo electroporation to analyze gene function. Dev Dyn 229: 433–439. .
- 2005. Homocysteine inhibits extra-embryonic vascular development in the avian embryo. Dev Dyn 234: 323–331. , .
- 2006. Folate receptor-mediated cancer cell specific gene delivery using folic acid-conjugated oligochitosans. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6: 2860–2866. , , .
- 2010. The N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor in heart development: a gene knockdown model using siRNA. Reprod Toxicol 29: 32–41. , , .
- 1999. Efficient targeting of gene expression in chick embryos by microelectroporation. Dev Growth Differ 41: 335–344. , , , , , .
- 2000. Teratogenic effects of bis-diamine on early embryonic rat heart: an in vitro study. Teratology 62: 115–122. , , , , , .
- 1999. Mice lacking the folic acid-binding protein Folbp1 are defective in early embryonic development. Nat Genet 23: 228–232. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Temporal-spatial ablation of neural crest in the mouse results in cardiovascular defects. Dev Dyn 237: 153–162. , .
- 2000. Infant mortality and congenital anomalies from 1950 to 1994: an international perspective. J Epidemiol Community Health 54: 660–666. , , , .
- 1990. Development of the musculoelastic septation complex in the avian truncus arteriosus. Am J Anat 189: 339–356. , , , .
- 1996. Homocysteine induces congenital defects of the heart and neural tube: effect of folic acid. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 15227–15232. , , .
- 1999. N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor agonists modulate homocysteine-induced developmental abnormalities. FASEB J 13: 1523–1531. , , .
- 2007. Microarray analysis of homocysteine-responsive genes in cardiac neural crest cells in vitro. Dev Dyn 236: 1044–1055. , , , , , .
- 2002. The half-life of the transcript encoding the folate receptor alpha in KB cells is reduced by cytosolic proteins expressed in folate-replete and not in folate-depleted cells. Gene 291: 149–158. , , .
- 2000. Adaptive regulation of intestinal folate uptake: effect of dietary folate deficiency. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 279: 1889–1895. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Spatial and temporal expression of folate binding protein1 (FBP1) is closely associated with anterior neural tube closure in mice. Dev Dyn 226: 112–117. , , , .
- 2007. The folate receptor: what does it promise in tissue-targeted therapeutics? Cancer Metastasis Rev 26: 141–152. , .
- 2002. Ephrin-B ligands play a dual role in the control of neural crest cell migration. Development 129: 3621–3632. , .
- 2008. Identification of genes differentially expressed in mouse fetuses from streptozotocin-induced diabetic pregnancy by cDNA subtraction. Endocr J 55: 317–323. , , , , , , .
- 2008. A gene regulatory network orchestrates neural crest formation. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 9: 557–568. , .
- 1995. Maternal periconceptional use of multivitamins and reduced risk for conotruncal heart defects and limb deficiencies among offspring. Am J Med Genet 59: 536–545. , , , , .
- 2004. Developmental consequences of abnormal folate transport during murine heart morphogenesis. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 70: 449–458. , , , , .
- 2008. Two newly synthesized 5-methyltetrahydrofolate-like compounds inhibit methionine synthase activity accompanied by cell cycle arrest in G1/S phase and apoptosis in vitro. Anticancer Drugs 19: 697–704. , , , , , .
- 2007. Importance of folate-homocysteine homeostasis during early embryonic development. Clin Chem Lab Med 45: 1717–1727. , , , .
- 2006. Complex networks orchestrate epithelial–mesenchymal transitions. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 7: 131–142. , .
- 2004. Homocysteine inhibits cardiac neural crest cell formation and morphogenesis in vivo. Dev Dyn 229: 63–73. , , , .
- 2006. Maternal MTHFR 677C>T is a risk factor for congenital heart defects: effect modification by periconceptional folate supplementation. Eur Heart J 27: 981–987. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Notch2 is required for the proliferation of cardiac neural crest-derived smooth muscle cells. Dev Dyn 237: 1144–1152. , , , , , .
- 2000. Temporal variability in birth prevalence of cardiovascular malformations. Heart 83: 414–419. , , .
- 2005. Maternal folate deficiency results in selective upregulation of folate receptors and heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein-E1 associated with multiple subtle aberrations in fetal tissues. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 73: 6–28. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Congenital heart defects: natural course and in utero development. Circulation 96: 550–555. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The rate of folate receptor alpha (FR alpha) synthesis in folate-depleted CHL cells is regulated by a translational mechanism sensitive to media folate levels, while stable over-expression of its mRNA is mediated by gene amplification and an increase in transcript half-life. J Cell Biochem 81: 205–219. , , .
- 2007. Cardiovascular abnormalities in Folr1 knockout mice and folate rescue. Birth Defect Res A Clin Mol Teratol 79: 257–268. , , , , , , , .