Patterns & Phenotypes
Expression of seven members of the ADAM family in developing chicken spinal cord
Article first published online: 16 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 4, pages 1246–1254, April 2010
How to Cite
Lin, J., Yan, X., Markus, A., Redies, C., Rolfs, A. and Luo, J. (2010), Expression of seven members of the ADAM family in developing chicken spinal cord. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1246–1254. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22272
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 16 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 FEB 2010
- German Research Foundation (DFG). Grant Number: LU 1455/1-1
- 2009. ADAM function in embryogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol 20: 153–163. , , .
- 2003. Differing patterns of neurotrophin-receptor expressing neurons allow distinction of the transient Frorieps' ganglia from normal DRG before morphological differences appear. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 145: 49–59. , .
- 1998. ADAMs: focus on the protease domain. Curr Opin Cell Biol 10: 654–659. , .
- 2002. Functional and biochemical characterization of ADAMs and their predicted role in protein ectodomain shedding. Inflamm Res 51: 83–84. .
- 2005. ADAMs: key components in EGFR signalling and development. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6: 32–43. .
- 2007. Targeting of retinal axons requires the metalloproteinase ADAM10. J Neurosci 27: 8448–8456. , , , , .
- 2000. Early markers of neuronal differentiation in DRG: islet-1 expression precedes that of Hu. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 121: 209–212. , .
- 2000. Expression of EphA4, ephrin-A2 and ephrin-A5 during axon outgrowth to the hindlimb indicates potential roles in pathfinding. Dev Neurosci 22: 237–250. , , , , , .
- 1999. Progression from extrinsic to intrinsic signaling in cell fate specification: a view from the nervous system. Cell 96: 211–224. , .
- 2008. The ADAM metalloproteinases. Mol Aspects Med 29: 258–289. , , .
- 1992. Early stages of motor neuron differentiation revealed by expression of homeobox gene Islet-1. Science 256: 1555–1560. , , , , .
- 1996. Two critical periods of Sonic Hedgehog signaling required for the specification of motor neuron identity. Cell 87: 661–673. , , , , .
- 2003. ADAM 10: an active metalloprotease expressed during avian epithelial morphogenesis. Dev Biol 256: 146–159. , .
- 1981. Neuronal death in the spinal ganglia of the chick embryo and its reduction by nerve growth factor. J Neurosci 1: 60–71. , , .
- 2002. The disintegrin/metalloprotease ADAM 10 is essential for Notch signalling but not for alpha-secretase activity in fibroblasts. Hum Mol Genet 11: 2615–2624. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Regulated cleavage of a contact-mediated axon repellent. Science 289: 1360–1365. , , .
- 1980. Organization of motor pools in the chick lumbar lateral motor column. J Comp Neurol 194: 143–170. .
- 2005. Evaluation of the contributions of ADAMs 9, 12, 15, 17, and 19 to heart development and ectodomain shedding of neuregulins beta1 and beta2. Dev Biol 283: 459–471. , , , , .
- 2003. UNC-71, a disintegrin and metalloprotease (ADAM) protein, regulates motor axon guidance and sex myoblast migration in C. elegans. Development 130: 3147–3161. , , , , .
- 1987. Development of synaptic connections between muscle sensory and motor neurons: anatomical evidence that postsynaptic dendrites grow into a preformed sensory neuropil. J Comp Neurol 255: 538–547. , .
- 2001. Autonomic dysreflexia in a mouse model of spinal cord injury. Neuroscience 108: 687–693. , , , .
- 2005. Adam meets Eph: an ADAM substrate recognition module acts as a molecular switch for ephrin cleavage in trans. Cell 123: 291–304. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Molecular profiling indicates avian branchiomotor nuclei invade the hindbrain alar plate. Neuroscience 128: 785–796. , , , , .
- 2006. Proteolytic cleavage of the neural cell adhesion molecule by ADAM17/TACE is involved in neurite outgrowth. J Neurochem 98: 78–88. , , , , .
- 2005. Imaging neural crest cell dynamics during formation of dorsal root ganglia and sympathetic ganglia. Development 132: 235–245. , , .
- 2009. ADAM-10-mediated N-cadherin cleavage is protein kinase C-alpha dependent and promotes glioblastoma cell migration. J Neurosci 29: 4605–4615. , , , .
- 1996. Cell adhesion/recognition molecule-mediated steps during the guidance of commissural and motor axons. Prog Brain Res 108: 109–116. .
- 1999. The neural crest. 2nd ed. Developmental and cell biology. New York: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2004. Instructive role of Wnt/beta-catenin in sensory fate specification in neural crest stem cells. Science 303: 1020–1023. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Defining brain wiring patterns and mechanisms through gene trapping in mice. Nature 410: 174–179. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Isolation and embryonic expression of avian ADAM 12 and ADAM 19. Gene Expr Patterns 5: 75–79. , , .
- 1998. Functionally related motor neuron pool and muscle sensory afferent subtypes defined by coordinate ETS gene expression. Cell 95: 393–407. , , , , , .
- 2007. Regionalized expression of ADAM13 during chicken embryonic development. Dev Dyn 236: 862–870. , , .
- 2008. Differential expression of five members of ADAM family in the developing chicken brain. Neuroscience 157: 360–375. , , .
- 2006. Regionalized cadherin-7 expression by radial glia is regulated by Shh and Pax7 during chicken spinal cord development. Neuroscience 142: 1133–1143. , , .
- 2007. Cadherin expression in the developing chicken cochlea. Dev Dyn 236: 2331–2337. , , , .
- 2005. ADAM10 mediates E-cadherin shedding and regulates epithelial cell-cell adhesion, migration, and beta-catenin translocation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102: 9182–9187. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Cadherin-based cell adhesion in neuromuscular development. Biol Cell 94: 315–326. , , , .
- 2005. A novel function for cadherin-11 in the regulation of motor axon elongation and fasciculation. Mol Cell Neurosci 28: 715–726. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Differential non-target-derived repulsive signals play a critical role in shaping initial axonal growth of dorsal root ganglion neurons. Dev Biol 254: 289–302. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Netrin-1 acts as a repulsive guidance cue for sensory axonal projections toward the spinal cord. J Neurosci 28: 10380–10385. , , , , , .
- 2008. ADAM2 promotes migration of neuroblasts in the rostral migratory stream to the olfactory bulb. Eur J Neurosci 27: 1585–1595. , , , .
- 2009. Xenopus ADAM19 is involved in neural, neural crest and muscle development. Mech Dev 126: 240–255. , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of motor neuron pool sorting by differential expression of type II cadherins. Cell 109: 205–216. , , , .
- 2005. ADAM10 cleavage of N-cadherin and regulation of cell-cell adhesion and beta-catenin nuclear signalling. EMBO J 24: 742–752. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Regulated ADAM10-dependent ectodomain shedding of gamma-protocadherin C3 modulates cell-cell adhesion. J Biol Chem 281: 21735–21744. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Involvement of bone morphogenetic protein-4 and bone morphogenetic protein-7 in the differentiation of the adrenergic phenotype in developing sympathetic neurons. Development 122: 2079–2088. , , , , , .
- 2005. Ataxia and peripheral nerve hypomyelination in ADAM22-deficient mice. BMC Neurosci 6: 33. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Metalloprotease-disintegrins: modular proteins capable of promoting cell-cell interactions and triggering signals by protein-ectodomain shedding. J Cell Sci 112: 3603–3617. , .
- 2003. Motor axon migration: a long way to go. Dev Biol 263: 1–11. , .
- 2003. The ADAMs family of metalloproteases: multidomain proteins with multiple functions. Genes Dev 17: 7–30. , .
- 1996. Axon guidance: motor-way madness. Curr Biol 6: 794–797. .
- 2007. ADAM23 plays multiple roles in neuronal differentiation of P19 embryonal carcinoma cells. Neurochem Res 32: 1217–1223. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Roles of meltrin-beta/ADAM19 in progression of Schwann cell differentiation and myelination during sciatic nerve regeneration. J Biol Chem 284: 2957–2966. , , , , .
- 2003. ADAMs: modulators of cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions. Curr Opin Cell Biol 15: 598–606. .
- 1995. ADAM, a widely distributed and developmentally regulated gene family encoding membrane proteins with a disintegrin and metalloprotease domain. Dev Biol 169: 378–383. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The ADAMs family: coordinators of nervous system development, plasticity and repair. Prog Neurobiol 79: 73–94. , , .