Special Issue Research Article
PRP-17 and the pre-mRNA splicing pathway are preferentially required for the proliferation versus meiotic development decision and germline sex determination in Caenorhabditis elegans
Article first published online: 30 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Special Issue on Caenorhabditis elegans
Volume 239, Issue 5, pages 1555–1572, May 2010
How to Cite
Kerins, J. A., Hanazawa, M., Dorsett, M. and Schedl, T. (2010), PRP-17 and the pre-mRNA splicing pathway are preferentially required for the proliferation versus meiotic development decision and germline sex determination in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1555–1572. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22274
- Issue published online: 13 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 30 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 FEB 2010
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: R01 GM63310
- 1991. Control of the sperm-oocyte switch in Caenorhabditis elegans hermaphrodites by the fem-3 3′ untranslated region. Nature 349: 346–348. , .
- 1992. The C. elegans gene fem-3 is regulated post-transcriptionally. EMBO J 11: 2303–2310. , , , .
- 1987. glp-1 is required in the germ line for regulation of the decision between mitosis and meiosis in C. elegans. Cell 51: 589–599. , .
- 1989. Transcript analysis of glp-1 and lin-12, homologous genes required for cell interaction during development of Caenorhabditis elegans. Cell 58: 565–571. , .
- 1990. fog-1, a regulatory gene required for specification of spermatogenesis in the germ line of Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 125: 29–39. , .
- 2004, Roles of the C. elegans cyclophilin-like protein MOG-6 in MEP-1 binding and germline fates. Dev 131: 2935–2945. , , , .
- 1988. Sex-lethal, a Drosophila sex determination switch gene, exhibits sex-specific RNA splicing and sequence similarity to RNA binding proteins. Cell 55: 1037–1046. , , , .
- 2000. Genetic and physical interactions between factors involved in both cell cycle progression and pre-mRNA splicing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 156: 1503–1517. , , , , , .
- 1997. Germ-line tumor formation cause by activation of glp-1, a Caenorhabditis elegans member of the Notch family of receptors. Development 124: 925–936. , , . (
- 2001. Genes involved in sister chromatid separation and segregation in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 159: 453–470. , , , , .
- 1998. A coactivator of pre-mRNA splicing. Genes Dev 12: 996–1009. , , , .
- 2005. Trans-splicing and operons (June 25, 2005), WormBook. The C. elegans Research Community, WormBook, doi/10.1895/wormbook.1.5.1, http://www.wormbook.org. .
- 1997. RNA processing and gene structure. In: RiddleDL, editor. C. elegans II. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 117–145. , .
- 1974. The genetics of Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 77: 71–94. .
- 1996. Requirement for SLU7 in yeast pre-mRNA splicing is dictated by the distance between the branchpoint and the 3′ splice site. RNA 2: 707–717. , .
- 1990. A putative ATP binding protein influences the fidelity of branchpoint recognition in yeast splicing. Cell 60: 705–717. , , .
- C. elegans Sequencing Consortium. 1998. Genome sequence of the nematode C. elegans: a platform for investigating biology. Science 282: 2012–2018.
- 1990. The yeast PRP2 protein, a putative RNA-dependent ATPase, shares extensive sequence homology with two other pre-mRNA splicing factors. Nucleic Acids Res 18: 6447. , .
- 1996. lag-1, a gene required for lin-12 and glp-1 signaling in Caenorhabditis elegans, is homologous to human CBF1 and Drosophila Su(H). Dev 122: 1373–1383. , , , , .
- 2002. Genomewide analysis of mRNA processing in yeast using splicing-specific microarrays. Science 296: 907–910. , , .
- 1996. Vive la difference: males vs females in flies vs worms. Annu Rev Gen 30: 637–702. , .
- 1991. Requirement of the RNA helicase-like protein PRP22 for release of messenger RNA from the spliceosomes. Nature 349: 487–493. , , .
- 1985. A single cardiac troponin T gene generates embryonic and adult isoforms via developmentally regulated alternate splicing. J Biol Chem 260: 11140–11148. , .
- 2001. YPD, PombePD and WormPD: model organism volumes of the BioKnowledge library, an integrated resource for protein information. Nucleic Acids Res 29: 75–79. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. GLP-1 is localized to the mitotic region of the C. elegans germ line. Dev 120: 2901–2911. , , , .
- 2002. A conserved RNA-binding protein controls germline stem cells in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature 417: 660–663. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Cellular analyses of the mitotic region in the Caenorhabditis elegans adult germ line. Mol Biol Cell 17: 3051–3061. , , , .
- 2004. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae gene CDC40/PRP17 controls cell cycle progression through splicing of the ANC1 gene. Nucleic Acids Res 32: 2529–2540. , .
- 2000. Test of intron predictions reveals novel splice sites, alternatively spliced mRNAs and new introns in meiotically regulated genes of yeast. Nucleic Acids Res 28: 1700–1706. , , , .
- 2000. SEL-8, a nuclear protein required for LIN-12 and GLP-1 signaling in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 7877–7881. , , .
- 2002. GLD-3, a bicaudal-C homolog that inhibits FBF to control germline sex determination in C. elegans. Dev Cell 3: 697–710. , , , .
- 2004. GLD-3 and control of the mitosis/meiosis decision in the germline of Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 168: 147–160. , , , .
- 1995. The fog-3 gene and regulation of cell fate in the germ line of Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 139: 561–577. , .
- 2006. Sex determination in the germ line, WormBook, ed. The C. elegans Research Community, WormBook, doi/10.1895/wormbook.1.82.1, http://www.wormbook.org. , .
- 2006. Pfam: clans, web tools and services. Nucleic Acids Res 34: D247–251. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Interchangeability of Caenorhabditis elegans DSL proteins and intrinsic signalling activity of their extracellular domains in vivo. Dev 121: 4275–4282. , .
- 1995. gld-1, a tumor suppressor gene required for oocyte development in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 139: 579–606. , , , .
- 1992. Synthetic lethal mutations suggest interactions between U5 small nuclear RNA and four proteins required for the second step of splicing. Mol Cell Biol 12: 5197–5205. , , .
- 2000. Functional genomic analysis of C. elegans chromosome I by systematic RNA interference. Nature 408: 325–330. , , , , , .
- 1992. General splicing factors SF2 and SC35 have equivalent activities in vitro, and both affect alternative 5′ and 3′ splice site selection. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 11224–11228. , , , .
- 1998. Repression by the 3′ UTR of fem-3, a sex-determining gene, relies on a ubiquitous mog-dependent control in Caenorhabditis elegans. EMBO J 17: 6337–6347. , , , .
- 2002. Turning clustering loops: sex determination in Caenorhabditis elegans. Curr Biol 12: R111–R120. , .
- 1993. Translational regulation of tra-2 by its 3′ untranslated region controls sexual identity in C. elegans. Cell 75: 329–339. , , , .
- 1993. The mog-1 gene is required for the switch from spermatogenesis to oogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 133: 919–931. , .
- 1993. More mog genes that influence the switch from spermatogenesis to oogenesis in the hermaphrodite germ line of Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Genet 14: 471–484. , , .
- 1994. Molecular basis of cardiac troponin T isoform heterogeneity in rabbit heart. Circ Res 74: 41–47. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Splicing of oskar RNA in the nucleus is coupled to its cytoplasmic localization. Nature 428: 959–963. , .
- 2006. The regulatory network controlling the proliferation-meiotic entry decision in the Caenorhabditis elegans germ line. Curr Top Dev Biol 76: 185–215. , .
- 2004a. Control of the proliferation versus meiotic development decision in C. elegans through regulation of GLD-1 protein accumulation. Dev 131: 93–104. , , , .
- 2004b. Multi-pathway control of the proliferation versus meiotic development decision in the C. elegans germline. Dev Biol 268: 342–357. , , .
- 1994. lag-2 may encode a signaling ligand for the GLP-1 and LIN-12 receptors of C. elegans. Dev 120: 2913–2924. , , , .
- 1986 Sex determination in the nematode C. elegans: analysis of tra-3 suppressors and characterization of fem genes. Genetics 114: 15–52. .
- 1997. Natural variation and copulatory plug formation in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 146: 149–164. , .
- 1997. A novel yeast screen for mitotic arrest mutants identifies DOC1, a new gene involved in cyclin proteolysis. Mol Biol Cell 10: 1877–1887. , .
- 1999. The STAR protein, GLD-1, is a translational regulator of sexual identity in Caenorhabditis elegans. EMBO J 18: 258–269. , , , .
- 1989. Isolation and characterization of cDNA clones encoding embryonic and adult isoforms of rat cardiac troponin T. J Biol Chem 264: 14471–14477. , .
- 1995. Mutations in gld-1, a female germ cell-specific tumor suppressor gene in Caenorhabditis elegans, affect a conserved domain also found in Src-associated protein Sam68. Genes Dev 9: 1491–1504. , .
- 1996. GLD-1, a cytoplasmic protein essential for oocyte differentiation, shows stage and sex-specific expression during C. elegans germline development. Dev Biol 180: 165–183. , , .
- 2003. Pre-mRNA splicing: awash in a sea of proteins. Mol Cell 12: 5–14. , .
- 1998. Genetic regulation of entry into meiosis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev 125: 1803–1813. , .
- 2003. Genome-wide RNAi screening in Caenorhabditis elegans. Methods 30: 313–321. , .
- 1978. Meiotic recombination and DNA synthesis in a new cell cycle mutant of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 90: 49–58. , .
- 1985. Cloning and mapping of CDC40, a S. cerevisiae gene with a role in DNA repair. Curr Gen 9: 253–257. , , , .
- 2000. Pre-mRNA splicing imprints mRNA in the nucleus with a novel RNA-binding protein that persists in the cytoplasm. Mol Cell 6: 673–682. , , , , , , .
- 2006. PRP-17 and the pre-mRNA splicing pathway are preferentially required for the proliferation versus meiotic development decision and germline sex determination in Caenorhabditis elegans. Ph.D. Thesis, Washington University, St. Louis, MO. .
- 1996. Spliceosome activation by PRP2 ATPase prior to the first transesterification reaction of pre-mRNA splicing. Mol Cell Biol 16: 6810–6819. , .
- 2005. Germline proliferation and its control, WormBook, ed. The C. elegans Research Community, WormBook, doi/10.1895/wormbook.1.13.1, http://www.wormbook. org. , .
- 1981. On the control of germ cell development in Caenorhabditis elegans. Dev Biol 81: 208–219. , .
- 1990. Interactions of PRP2 protein with pre-mRNA splicing complexes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res 18: 6559–6564. , .
- 2008. The Caenorhabditis elegans DDX-23, a homolog of yeast splicing factor PRP28, is required for the sperm-oocyte switch and differentiation of various cell types. Dev Dyn 237: 2367–2377. , , .
- 1999. NANOS-3 and FBF proteins physically interact to control the sperm-oocyte switch in Caenorhabditis elegans. Curr Biol 9: 1009–1018. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The structure and function of proteins involved in mammalian pre-mRNA splicing. Annu Rev Biochem 65: 367–409. .
- 1991. Two homologous regulatory genes, lin-12 and glp-1, have overlapping functions. Dev 112: 231–240. , .
- 2001. Identification of in vivo mRNA targets of GLD-1, a maxi-KH motif containing protein required for C. elegans germ cell development. Genes Dev 15: 2408–2420. , .
- 2000. Pre-mRNA splicing alters mRNP composition: Evidence for stable association of proteins at exon-exon junctions. Genes Dev 14: 1098–1108. , , .
- 1998. Functional conservation of the human homolog of the yeast pre-mRNA splicing factor Prp17p. J Biol Chem 273: 32771–32775. , .
- 2000. The carboxy terminal WD domain if the pre-mRNA splicing factor Prp17p is critical for function. RNA 6: 1289–1305. , , , , .
- 2001. Pre-mRNA splicing and mRNA export linked by direct interactions between UAP56 and Aly. Nature 413: 644–647. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Proteasomal regulation of the proliferation vs. meiotic entry decision in the Caenorhabditis elegans germ line. Genetics 180: 905–920. , , .
- 2001. Nuclear reorganization and homologous chromosome pairing during meiotic prophase require C. elegans chk-2. Genes Dev 15: 1674–1687. , .
- 2009. A mutation in teg-4, which encodes a protein homologous to the SAP130 pre-mRNA splicing factor, disrupts the balance between proliferation and differentiation in the C. elegans germ line. Mech Dev 126: 417–429. , , , .
- 1992. Two members of a conserved family of nuclear phosphoproteins are involved in pre-mRNA splicing. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 1301–1304. , , , .
- 1999. Purification and characterization of human RNPS1: A general activator of pre-mRNA splicing. EMBO J 18: 4560–4570. , , , , , .
- 2000. The acute myeloid leukemia-associated protein, DEK, forms a splicing-dependent interaction with exon-product complexes. J Cell Biol 150: 309–320. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Interaction of the yeast DExH-box RNA helicase Prp22p with the 3′ splice site during the second step of nuclear pre-mRNA splicing. Nucleic Acids Res 28: 1313–1321. , , .
- 2009. Pre-mRNA processing reaches back to transcription and ahead to translation. Cell 136: 688–700. , .
- 2000. Notch signaling: from the outside in. Dev Biol 228: 151–165. , .
- 2005. Structural and functional analysis of essential pre-mRNA splicing factor Prp19p. Mol Cell. Biol 25: 451–460. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Caenorhabditis elegans cohesion protein with functions in meiotic chromosome pairing and disjunction. Genes and Development 15: 1349–1360. , , , , , .
- 2003. Genetic analysis of Caenorhabditis elegans glp-1 mutants suggests receptor interaction or competition. Genetics 163: 115–132. , , .
- 2000. LAG-3 is a putative transcriptional activator in the C. elegans Notch pathway. Nature 405: 364–368. , .
- 1999. The Caenorhabditis elegans sex determination gene mog-1 encodes a member of the DEAH-box protein family. Mol Cell Biol 19: 2189–2197. , .
- 2000. The hermaphrodite sperm/oocyte switch requires the Caenorhabditis elegans homologs of PRP2 and PRP22. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 3276–3281. , .
- 1995. xol-1 acts as an early switch in the C. elegans male/hermaphrodite decision. Cell 80: 71–82. , , , .
- 2004. Toward improving Caenorhabditis elegans phenome mapping with an ORFeome-based RNAi library. Gen Res 14: 2162–2168. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Functional analyses of interacting factors involved in both pre-mRNA splicing and cell cycle progression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RNA 6: 1565–1572. , , , , .
- 1996. Muscle-specific splicing enhancers regulate inclusion of the cardiac troponin T alternative exon in embryonic skeletal muscle. Mol Cell Biol 16: 4014–4023. , .
- 1997. Developmental genetics of the germ line. In: RiddleDL, BlumenthalT, MeyerBJ, PriessJR, editors. C. elegans II. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 241–269 .
- 1991. Vectors for constitutive and inducible gene expression in yeast. Methods Enzymol 194: 389–398. , , .
- 2005. Translational repression of C. elegans p53 by GLD-1 regulates DNA damage-induced apoptosis. Cell 120: 357–368. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Prp22, a DExH-box RNA helicase, plays two distinct roles in yeast pre-mRNA splicing. EMBO J 17: 2086–2094. , .
- 1992. A conformational rearrangement in the spliceosome is dependent on PRP16 and ATP hydrolysis. EMBO J 11: 5033–5039. , .
- 2001. The germline in C. elegans: origins, proliferation, and silencing. Int Rev Cytol 203: 139–185. , .
- 1994. The budding yeast U5 snRNP Prp8 is a highly conserved protein which links RNA splicing with cell cycle progression. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 5555–5564. , , .
- 2001. On the role of RNA amplification in dsRNA-triggered gene silencing. Cell 107: 465–476. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Genome-wide bioinformatic and molecular analysis of yeast introns. RNA 5: 221–234. , , , . (
- 1999. nos-1 and nos-2, two genes related to Drosophila nanos, regulate primordial germ cell development and survival in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development 126: 4861–4871. , .
- 1994. Sequence of C. elegans lag-2 reveals a cell-signaling domain shared with Delta and Serrate of Drosophila. Nature 368: 150–154. . , .
- 1990. The spliceosomal snRNAs of Caenorhabditis elegans. Nucleic Acids Res 18: 2633–2642. , , , .
- 1998. Specific interference by ingested dsRNA. Nature 395: 854. , .
- 1995. The role of S. cerevisiae Cdc40p in DNA replication and mitotic spindle function. Mol Gen Genet 247: 123–136. , , , , , .
- 1989. Isolation and characterization of pre-mRNA splicing mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev 3: 1206–1216. , , .
- 2009. The spliceosome: design principles of a dynamic RNP machine. Cell 136: 701–718. , , .
- 2002. A regulatory cytoplasmic poly(A) polymerase in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature 419: 312–316. , , , , .
- 2001. Rapid gene mapping in Caenorhabditis elegans using a high density polymorphism map. Nat Gen 28: 160–164. , , , , .
- 1989. glp-1 and lin-12, genes implicated in distinct cell-cell interactions in Caenorhabditis elegans, encode similar transmembrane proteins. Cell 58: 553–563. , .
- 2005. Alternative splicing in C. elegans, WormBook. The C. elegans Research Community, WormBook, doi/10.1895/wormbook.1.31.1, http://www.wormbook.org. .
- 1992. SR proteins: a conserved family of pre-mRNA splicing factors. Genes Dev 6: 837–847. , , , .
- 1999. Synapsis and chiasma formation in Caenorhabditis elegans require HIM-3, a meiotic chromosome core component that functions in chromosome segregation. Genes Dev 13: 2258–2270. , , , .
- 1997. A conserved RNA-binding protein that regulates sexual fates in the C. elegans hermaphrodite germ line. Nature 390: 477–484. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Human homologs of yeast Prp16 and Prp17 reveal conservation of the mechanism for catalytic step II of pre-mRNA splicing. EMBO J 17: 2095–2106. , .
- 2000. The protein Aly links pre-messenger-RNA splicing to nuclear export in metazoans. Nature 407: 401–405. , , , , , .