Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4 alpha is related to survival of the condensed mesenchyme in the developing mouse kidney
Version of Record online: 16 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 4, pages 1145–1154, April 2010
How to Cite
Kanazawa, T., Konno, A., Hashimoto, Y. and Kon, Y. (2010), Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4 alpha is related to survival of the condensed mesenchyme in the developing mouse kidney. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1145–1154. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22276
- Issue online: 16 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 16 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 FEB 2010
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan. Grant Numbers: 19380162, 19658106
- 2001. An enhancer element 6 kb upstream of the mouse Hnf4alpha1 promoter is activated by glucocorticoids and liver-enriched transcription factors. Nucleic Acids Res 29: 3495–3505. , , , .
- 1999. Variant hepatocyte nuclear factor 1 is required for visceral endoderm. Development 126: 4795–4805. , , , , , .
- 2008. Fate mapping using Cited-CreERT2 mice demonstrates that the cap mesenchyme contains self-renewing progenitor cells and gives rise exclusively to nephric epithelia. Dev Biol 313: 234–245. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Genetic determination of nephrogenesis: the Pax/Eya/Six gene network. Pediatr Nephrol 19: 249–255. , .
- 2005. Wnt9b plays a central role in the regulation of mesenchymal to epithelial transitions underlying organogenesis of the mammalian urogenital system. Dev Cell 9: 283–292. , , , , .
- 1994. Disruption of the HNF-4 gene, expressed in visceral, leads to cell death in embryonic ectoderm and impaired gastrulation of mouse embryos. Genes Dev 8: 2466–2477. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The nuclear receptor hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha acts as a morphogen to induce the formation of microvilli. J Cell Bio 175: 971–980. , , , , , , .
- 1999a. Expression of the vHNF1/HNF1beta homeoprotein gene during mouse organogenesis. Mech Dev 89: 211–213. , , , .
- 1999b. Essential role for the homeoprotein vHNF1/HNF1beta in visceral endoderm differentiation. Development 126: 4785–4794. , , , , .
- 2009. C-myc as a modulator of renal stem/progenitor cell population. Dev Dyn 238: 405–414. , .
- 2004. Developmental of an siRNA-based method for repressing specific genes in renal organ culture and its use to show that the Wt1 tumour suppressor is required for nephron differentiation. Hum Mol Genet 13: 235–246. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The cellular basis of kidney development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22: 509–529. .
- 2003. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha isoforms originated from the P1 promoter are expressed in human pancreatic beta-cells and exhibit stronger transcriptional potentials than P2 promoter-driven isoforms. Endocrinology 144: 1686–1694. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Glomerular-specific alterations of VEGF-A expression lead to distinct congenital and acquired renal diseases. J Clin Invest 111: 707–716. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Organization and partial sequence of the hepatocyte nuclear factor-4alpha/MODY1 gene and identification of missense mutation, R127W, in a Japanese family with MODY. Diabetes 46: 1652–1657. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha is essential for embryonic development of mouse colon. Gastroenterology 130: 1207–1220. , , , , , .
- 2005. Oxalate-inducible AMBP gene and its regulatory mechanism in renal tubular epithelial cells. Biochem J 387: 609–616. , , .
- 1997. Functional domains of the nuclear receptor hepatocyte nuclear factor 4. J Biol Chem 272: 539–550. , , , , , .
- 2001. Regulatory mechanisms controlling human hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha gene expression. Mol Cell Biol 21: 7320–7330. , .
- 2001. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha (nuclear receptor 2A1) is essential for maintenance of hepatic gene expression and lipid homeostasis. Mol Cell Biol 21: 1393–1403. , , , , .
- 1992. Metanephric mesenchyme contains multipotent stem cells whose fate is restricted after induction. Development 114: 565–572. , , , .
- 1997. Mutation in hepatocyte nuclear factor-1 beta gene (TCF2) associated with MODY. Nat Genet 17: 384–385. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Functional characterization of the HNF4alpha isoform (HNF4alpha8) expressed in pancreatic beta-cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 329: 984–990. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression and localization of P1 promoter-driven hepatocyte nuclear factor-4alpha (HNF4alpha) isoforms in human and rats. Nucl Recept 1: 5. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Expression of hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha in developing kidney. Anat Histol Embryol 38: 34–41. , , , .
- 2005. Distinct and sequential tissue-specific activities of the LIM-class homeobox gene Lim1 for tubular morphogenesis during kidney development. Development 133: 2809–2823. , , , , , .
- 1993. WT-1 is required for early kidney development. Cell 74: 679–691. , , , , , , .
- 1992. LFB1 and LFB3 homeoproteins are sequentially expressed during kidney development. Development 114: 469–479. , , , , .
- 2003. Eya protein phosphatase activity regulates Six1-Dach-Eya transcriptional effects in mammalian organogenesis. Nature 426: 247–253. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. HNF4alpha reduces proliferation of kidney cells and affects genes deregulated in renal cell carcinoma. Oncogene 24: 6418–6431. , , , , , .
- 2006. Hepatocyte nuclear factor-4alpha is essential for glucose-stimulated insulin secretion by pancreatic beta-cells. J Biol Chem 281: 5246–5257. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. YAC complementation shows a requirement for Wt1 in the development of epicardium, adrenal gland and throughout nephrogenesis. Development 126: 1845–1857. , , , , .
- 2006. Essential roles of Sall family genes in kidney development. J Physiol Sci 56: 131–136. , .
- 2004. Control of pancreas and liver gene expression by HNF transcription factors. Science 303: 1378–1381. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Differentiation-dependent activation of the human intestinal alkaline phosphatase promoter by HNF-4 in intestinal cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 289: G220–G226. , , , .
- 2003. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha controls the development of a hepatic epithelium and liver morphogenesis. Nat Genet 34: 292–296. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 1 inactivation results in hepatic dysfunction, phenylketonuria, and renal fanconi syndrome. Cell 84: 575–585. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Glial-cell-line-derived neurotrophic factor is required for bud initiation from ureteric epithelium. Development 124: 4077–4087. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Nephron induction revisited: from caps to condensates. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 11: 17–21. .
- 1998. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4 provokes expression of epithelial marker genes, acting as a morphogen in dedifferentiated hepatoma cells. J Cell Biol 140: 935–946. , .
- 1994. Epithelial transformation of metanephric mesenchyme in the developing kidney regulated by Wnt-4. Nature 372: 679–683. , , , .
- 1998. The RET-glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) pathway stimulates migration and chemoattraction of epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 142: 1337–1345. , , , .
- 2001. A distant upstream promoter of the Hnf-4alpha gene connects the transcription factors involved in maturity-onset diabetes of the young. Hum Mol Genet 10: 2089–2097. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Developmentally regulated N-terminal variants of the nuclear receptor hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha mediate multiple interactions through coactivator and corepressor-histone deacetylase complex. J Biol Chem 277: 44677–44687. , , .
- 1996a. Mutations in the hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha gene in maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY3). Nature 384: 455–458. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996b. Mutations in the hepatocyte nuclear factor-4alpha gene in maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY1). Nature 384: 458–460. , , , , , , , , , .