Dr. Conrad and Ms. Fernando contributed equally to this work.
Patterns & Phenotypes
Temporal and spatial expression of CCN genes in zebrafish
Version of Record online: 9 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 6, pages 1755–1767, June 2010
How to Cite
Fernando, C. A., Conrad, P. A., Bartels, C. F., Marques, T., To, M., Balow, S. A., Nakamura, Y. and Warman, M. L. (2010), Temporal and spatial expression of CCN genes in zebrafish. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1755–1767. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22279
- Issue online: 17 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 9 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 FEB 2010
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- NIH-NCRR. Grant Number: P40 RR12546
- Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation
- 2006a. Arteries define the position of the thyroid gland during its developmental relocalisation. Development 133: 3797–3804. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Analysis of origin and growth of the thyroid gland in zebrafish. Dev Dyn 235: 1872–1883. , , , , , .
- 2008. How to create the vascular tree? (Latest) help from the zebrafish. Pharmacol Ther 118: 206–230. , .
- 2004. Improved prediction of signal peptides: SignalP 3.0. J Mol Biol 340: 783–795. , , , .
- 1993. The modular architecture of a new family of growth regulators related to connective tissue growth factor. FEBS Lett 327: 125–130. .
- 1995. Diversity of function is inherent in matricellular proteins: an appraisal of thrombospondin 1. J Cell Biol 130: 503–506. .
- 2002. Matricellular proteins: extracellular modulators of cell function. Curr Opin Cell Biol 14: 608–616. , .
- 2002. Regulation of angiogenesis and endothelial cell function by connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) and cysteine-rich 61 (CYR61). Angiogenesis 5: 153–165. .
- 2003. Proposal for a unified CCN nomenclature. Mol Pathol 56: 127–128. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Cyr61/CCN1 and CTGF/CCN2 mediate the proangiogenic activity of VHL-mutant renal carcinoma cells. Carcinogenesis 29: 696–703. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The physiological role of CTGF/CCN2 in zebrafish notochond development and biological analysis of the proximal promoter region. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 349: 750–758. , , , , .
- 2004. Expression profiling and comparative genomics identify a conserved regulatory region controlling midline expression in the zebrafish embryo. Genome Res 14: 228–238. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. ProbCons: probabilistic consistency-based multiple sequence alignment. Genome Res 15: 330–340. , , , .
- 2000. Zebrafish: a model system for the study of human disease. Curr Opin Genet Dev 10: 252–256. , .
- 1999. Preservation of duplicate genes by complementary, degenerative mutations. Genetics 151: 1531–1545. , , , , , .
- 2004. WISP-1 is an osteoblastic regulator expressed during skeletal development and fracture repair. Am J Pathol 165: 855–867. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. CTGF expression during mouse embryonic development. Cell Tissue Res 312: 175–188. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Pax8 and Pax2a function synergistically in otic specification, downstream of the Foxi1 and Dlx3b transcription factors. Development 131: 5091–5102. , , .
- 2008. Abnormal skeletal and cardiac development, cardiomyopathy, muscle atrophy and cataracts in mice with a targeted disruption of the Nov (Ccn3) gene. BMC Dev Biol 8: 18. , , , , , .
- 2004. Accumulation of NH2-terminal fragment of connective tissue growth factor in the vitreous of patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Diabetes Care 27: 758–764. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Mutations in the CCN gene family member WISP3 cause progressive pseudorheumatoid dysplasia. Nat Genet 23: 94–98. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Connective tissue growth factor coordinates chondrogenesis and angiogenesis during skeletal development. Development 130: 2779–2791. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The expression of chicken NOV, a member of the CCN gene family, in early stage development. Brain Res Gene Expr Patterns 1: 61–65. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Functional requirement of CCN2 for intramembranous bone formation in embryonic mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 366: 450–456. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Stages of embryonic development of the zebrafish. Dev Dyn 203: 253–310. , , , , .
- 2006. Cranial neural crest and development of the head skeleton. Adv Exp Med Biol 589: 120–133. , .
- 2001. Expression of the human NOV gene in first trimester fetal tissues. Anat Embryol (Berl) 203: 417–427. , , , , .
- 1991. Expression of the zebrafish paired box gene pax[zf-b] during early neurogenesis. Development 113: 1193–1206. , , , .
- 2007. Angiogenesis is not impaired in connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) knock-out mice. J Histochem Cytochem 55: 1139–1147. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Gene duplication, gene loss and evolution of expression domains in the vertebrate nuclear receptor NR5A (Ftz-F1) family. Biochem J 389: 19–26. , , , , , .
- 2005. WISP3, the gene responsible for the human skeletal disease progressive pseudorheumatoid dysplasia, is not essential for skeletal function in mice. Mol Cell Biol 25: 414–421. , , .
- 2001. Promoter function of the angiogenic inducer Cyr61gene in transgenic mice: tissue specificity, inducibility during wound healing, and role of the serum response element. Endocrinology 142: 2549–2557. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Xenopus Cyr61 regulates gastrulation movements and modulates Wnt signalling. Development 130: 2429–2441. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Integrin-mediated CCN functions. In: Perbal B, Takigawa M, editors. CCN Proteins: a new family of cell growth and differentiation regulators. London: Imperial College Press. 311 p. , .
- 2003. The role of connective tissue growth factor, a multifunctional matricellular protein, in fibroblast biology. Biochem Cell Biol 81: 355–363. , .
- 2000. Asymmetric nodal signaling in the zebrafish diencephalon positions the pineal organ. Development 127: 5101–5112. , , , , , , .
- 2002. CYR61 (CCN1) is essential for placental development and vascular integrity. Mol Cell Biol 22: 8709–8720. , , , , , .
- 2007. The CCN family member Wisp3, mutant in progressive pseudorheumatoid dysplasia, modulates BMP and Wnt signaling. J Clin Invest 117: 3075–3086. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Normal growth and development in mice over-expressing the CCN family member WISP3. J Cell Commun Signal 3: 105–113. , , , , .
- 1997. Cloning of a mRNA preferentially expressed in chondrocytes by differential display-PCR from a human chondrocytic cell line that is identical with connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) mRNA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 234: 206–210. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Overexpression of connective tissue growth factor/hypertrophic chondrocyte-specific gene product 24 decreases bone density in adult mice and induces dwarfism. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 281: 678–681. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Mouse Nov gene is expressed in hypaxial musculature and cranial structures derived from neural crest cells and placodes. Dev Dyn 219: 417–425. , , , .
- 2007. Specification of epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development 134: 611–623. , , , .
- 1992. Expression of the growth factor-inducible immediate early gene cyr61 correlates with chondrogenesis during mouse embryonic development. Cell Growth Differ 3: 645–654. , .
- 2007. The role of TGF-beta signaling in regulating chondrogenesis and osteogenesis during mandibular development. Dev Biol 303: 391–404. , , , , , , .
- 2005. CCN3: a multifunctional signaling regulator. In: Perbal B, Takigawa M, editors. CCN Proteins: A new family of cell growth and differentiation regulators. London: Imperial College Press. 311 p. , , .
- 2004. Subfunction partitioning, the teleost radiation and the annotation of the human genome. Trends Genet 20: 481–490. , , , , .
- 2007. Nephroblastoma overexpressed (Nov) inhibits osteoblastogenesis and causes osteopenia. J Biol Chem 282: 19762–19772. , , , , , .
- 1998. Inhibition of endogenous expression of connective tissue growth factor by its antisense oligonucleotide and antisense RNA suppresses proliferation and migration of vascular endothelial cells. J Biochem 124: 130–140. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Connective tissue growth factor induces the proliferation, migration, and tube formation of vascular endothelial cells in vitro, and angiogenesis in vivo. J Biochem 126: 137–145. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Connective tissue growth factor as a major angiogenic agent that is induced by hypoxia in a human breast cancer cell line. Cancer Lett 174: 57–64. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Skeletal overexpression of connective tissue growth factor impairs bone formation and causes osteopenia. Endocrinology 149: 4374–4381. , , , , .
- 2008. A rapid bootstrap algorithm for the RAxML Web servers. Syst Biol 57: 758–771. , , .
- 2007. Improvement of phylogenies after removing divergent and ambiguously aligned blocks from protein sequence alignments. Syst Biol 56: 564–577. , .
- 1994. The Zebrafish Book: a guide for the laboratory use of zebrafish. Eugene, OR: University of Oregon Press. 385 p. .
- 2005. The zebrafish gene map defines ancestral vertebrate chromosomes. Genome Res 15: 1307–1314. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Spatially regulated expression of three receptor tyrosine kinase genes during gastrulation in the zebrafish. Development 120: 287–299. , , , .
- 2005. Gene expression of connective tissue growth factor (CTGF/CCN2) in calcifying tissues of normal and cbfa1-null mutant mice in late stage of embryonic development. J Bone Miner Metab 23: 280–288. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Stromal expression of connective tissue growth factor promotes angiogenesis and prostate cancer tumorigenesis. Cancer Res 65: 8887–8895. , , , , , .
- 2007. The CCN family of genes: a perspective on CCN biology and therapeutic potential. J Cell Commun Signal 1: 159–164. , .
- 2002. Molecular dissection of craniofacial development using zebrafish. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 13: 308–322. , .
- 2003. NOV (CCN3) regulation in the growth plate and CCN family member expression in cartilage neoplasia. J Pathol 201: 609–615. , , , , .