Patterns & Phenotypes
Dissecting the role of Fgf signaling during gastrulation and left-right axis formation in mouse embryos using chemical inhibitors
Article first published online: 9 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 6, pages 1768–1778, June 2010
How to Cite
Oki, S., Kitajima, K. and Meno, C. (2010), Dissecting the role of Fgf signaling during gastrulation and left-right axis formation in mouse embryos using chemical inhibitors. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1768–1778. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22282
- Issue published online: 17 MAY 2010
- Article first published online: 9 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2010
- MEXT. Grant Number: 21116002
- JSPS. Grant Number: 21657059
- Naito Foundation
- 1999. Determination of left/right asymmetric expression of nodal by a left side-specific enhancer with sequence similarity to a lefty-2 enhancer. Genes Dev 13: 1589–1600. , , , , , , .
- 1993. The formation and maintenance of the definitive endoderm lineage in the mouse: Involvement of HNF3/forkhead proteins. Development 119: 1301–1315. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Drosophila dpp morphogen movement is independent of dynamin-mediated endocytosis but regulated by the glypican members of heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Cell 119: 231–244. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Functions of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Annu Rev Biochem 68: 729–777. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Nodal activity in the node governs left-right asymmetry. Genes Dev 16: 2339–2344. , , .
- 2001. The mouse snail gene encodes a key regulator of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Mol Cell Biol 21: 8184–8188. , , , , .
- 1996. Tbx6, a mouse T-box gene implicated in paraxial mesoderm formation at gastrulation. Dev Biol 180: 534–542. , , , , .
- 1999. Spatial response to fibroblast growth factor signalling in Xenopus embryos. Development 126: 119–125. , .
- 2001. FGF signaling regulates mesoderm cell fate specification and morphogenetic movement at the primitive streak. Dev Cell 1: 37–49. , .
- 1997. Chimeric analysis of fibroblast growth factor receptor-1 (Fgfr1) function: a role for FGFR1 in morphogenetic movement through the primitive streak. Development 124: 2829–2841. , , , , .
- 1996. Relationship between asymmetric nodal expression and the direction of embryonic turning. Nature 381: 155–158. , , .
- 1994. A primary requirement for nodal in the formation and maintenance of the primitive streak in the mouse. Development 120: 1919–1928. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Spatial and temporal patterns of ERK signaling during mouse embryogenesis. Development 130: 4527–4537. , , , .
- 1995. The mouse Fgf8 gene encodes a family of polypeptides and is expressed in regions that direct outgrowth and patterning in the developing embryo. Development 121: 439–451. , .
- 2000. Expression of activated MAP kinase in Xenopus laevis embryos: evaluating the roles of FGF and other signaling pathways in early induction and patterning. Dev Biol 228: 41–56. , .
- 1994. Murine FGFR-1 is required for early postimplantation growth and axial organization. Genes Dev 8: 3045–3057. , , , , , .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog, a member of a family of putative signaling molecules, is implicated in the regulation of CNS polarity. Cell 75: 1417–1430. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Genetic ablation of FLRT3 reveals a novel morphogenetic function for the anterior visceral endoderm in suppressing mesoderm differentiation. Genes Dev 22: 3349–3362. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Cellular signaling by fibroblast growth factor receptors. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 16: 139–149. , , .
- 2008. The role of FGF signaling in the establishment and maintenance of mesodermal gene expression in xenopus. Dev Dyn 237: 1243–1254. , .
- 2003. Essential role of glycosaminoglycans in fgf signaling during mouse gastrulation. Cell 114: 727–737. , .
- 1988. Influence of chlorate on proteoglycan biosynthesis by cultured human fibroblasts. J Biol Chem 263: 12886–12892. , , , .
- 2003. Interplay between FGF, one-eyed pinhead, and T-box transcription factors during zebrafish posterior development. Dev Biol 264: 456–466. , .
- 2005. Heparan sulphate proteoglycans: the sweet side of development. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6: 530–541. , , .
- 2008. Tbx6 regulates left/right patterning in mouse embryos through effects on nodal cilia and perinodal signaling. PLoS One 3: e2511. , , .
- 2002. Establishment of vertebrate left-right asymmetry. Nat Rev Genet 3: 103–113. , , , .
- 1996. Rpx: A novel anterior-restricted homeobox gene progressively activated in the prechordal plate, anterior neural plate and rathke's pouch of the mouse embryo. Development 122: 41–52. , , .
- 1991. Expression pattern of the brachyury gene in whole-mount TWis/TWis mutant embryos. Development 113: 913–917. .
- 2006. Context-specific requirements for Fgfr1 signaling through Frs2 and Frs3 during mouse development. Development 133: 663–673. , .
- 2004. Spatial regulation of wingless morphogen distribution and signaling by dally-like protein. Dev Cell 7: 513–523. , , , .
- 2003. Notch signaling regulates left-right asymmetry determination by inducing nodal expression. Genes Dev 17: 1207–1212. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Opposing activities of dally-like glypican at high and low levels of wingless morphogen activity. Dev Cell 7: 503–512. , , , .
- 2002. Cloning of the mouse sef gene and comparative analysis of its expression with Fgf8 and Spry2 during embryogenesis. Mech Dev 113: 163–168. , , , , , .
- 1996. Conserved left-right asymmetry of nodal expression and alterations in murine situs inversus. Nature 381: 158–161. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Ventral closure, headfold fusion and definitive endoderm migration defects in mouse embryos lacking the fibronectin leucine-rich transmembrane protein FLRT3. Dev Biol 318: 184–193. , , , , , .
- 2003. Two populations of node monocilia initiate left-right asymmetry in the mouse. Cell 114: 61–73. , , , , .
- 1999. Differences in left-right axis pathways in mouse and chick: Functions of FGF8 and SHH. Science 285: 403–406. , .
- 1998. Crystal structure of an angiogenesis inhibitor bound to the FGF receptor tyrosine kinase domain. EMBO J 17: 5896–5904. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Structures of the tyrosine kinase domain of fibroblast growth factor receptor in complex with inhibitors. Science 276: 955–960. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Generation of robust left-right asymmetry in the mouse embryo requires a self-enhancement and lateral-inhibition system. Dev Cell 11: 495–504. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Cloning and developmental expression of sna, a murine homologue of the drosophila snail gene. Development 116: 227–237. , , , .
- 2002. Determination of left-right patterning of the mouse embryo by artificial nodal flow. Nature 418: 96–99. , , , .
- 1998. Randomization of left-right asymmetry due to loss of nodal cilia generating leftward flow of extraembryonic fluid in mice lacking KIF3B motor protein. Cell 95: 829–837. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Asymmetric and node-specific nodal expression patterns are controlled by two distinct cis-acting regulatory elements. Genes Dev 13: 1575–1588. , .
- 2007. Sulfated glycosaminoglycans are necessary for nodal signal transmission from the node to the left lateral plate in the mouse embryo. Development 134: 3893–3904. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Reversal of left-right asymmetry induced by aberrant nodal signaling in the node of mouse embryos. Development 136: 3917–3925. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Six3, a murine homologue of the sine oculis gene, demarcates the most anterior border of the developing neural plate and is expressed during eye development. Development 121: 4045–4055. , , , , , .
- 2003. Notch activity induces nodal expression and mediates the establishment of left-right asymmetry in vertebrate embryos. Genes Dev 17: 1213–1218. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Floor plate and motor neuron induction by vhh-1, a vertebrate homolog of hedgehog expressed by the notochord. Cell 76: 761–775. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Left-right patterning of the mouse lateral plate requires nodal produced in the node. Dev Biol 256: 160–172. , , , .
- 1993. Differential expression of multiple fork head related genes during gastrulation and axial pattern formation in the mouse embryo. Development 118: 47–59. , .
- 1995. Requirement for Lim1 in head-organizer function. Nature 374: 425–430. , .
- 2001. Fgf signalling through MAPK cascade is required for development of the subpallial telencephalon in zebrafish embryos. Development 128: 4153–4164. , , , , .
- 2006. The left-right axis in the mouse: from origin to morphology. Development 133: 2095–2104. , .
- 1993. A vertebrate gene related to orthodenticle contains a homeodomain of the bicoid class and demarcates anterior neuroectoderm in the gastrulating mouse embryo. EMBO J 12: 2735–2747. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Isolation of sna, a mouse gene homologous to the drosophila genes snail and escargot: its expression pattern suggests multiple roles during postimplantation development. Development 116: 1033–1039. , , .
- 1999. Targeted disruption of Fgf8 causes failure of cell migration in the gastrulating mouse embryo. Genes Dev 13: 1834–1846. , , , .
- 2005. FGF-induced vesicular release of sonic hedgehog and retinoic acid in leftward nodal flow is critical for left-right determination. Nature 435: 172–177. , , .
- 2005. Functions and regulations of fibroblast growth factor signaling during embryonic development. Dev Biol 287: 390–402. , .
- 1998. Hex: A homeobox gene revealing peri-implantation asymmetry in the mouse embryo and an early transient marker of endothelial cell precursors. Development 125: 85–94. , , .
- 2009. An hh-dependent pathway in lateral plate mesoderm enables the generation of left/right asymmetry. Curr Biol 19: 1912–1917. , .
- 2001. The complex structures of ATP sulfurylase with thiosulfate, ADP and chlorate reveal new insights in inhibitory effects and the catalytic cycle. J Mol Biol 313: 1117–1125. , .
- 2005. Dll1 is a downstream target of Tbx6 in the paraxial mesoderm. Genesis 42: 193–202. , .
- 1990. Expression pattern of the mouse T gene and its role in mesoderm formation. Nature 343: 657–659. , , .
- 1992. Expression of the fibroblast growth factor receptor FGFR-1/flg during gastrulation and segmentation in the mouse embryo. Dev Biol 152: 75–88. , , .
- 1994. Fgfr-1 is required for embryonic growth and mesodermal patterning during mouse gastrulation. Genes Dev 8: 3032–3044. , , , .
- 2009. Antagonism between Smad1 and Smad2 signaling determines the site of distal visceral endoderm formation in the mouse embryo. J Cell Biol 184: 323–334. , , , , , , .
- 2008. The ground state of embryonic stem cell self-renewal. Nature 453: 519–523. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. p38 and a p38-interacting protein are critical for downregulation of E-cadherin during mouse gastrulation. Cell 125: 957–969. , , , , , .