Patterns & Phenotypes
Gli2 activator function in preosteoblasts is sufficient to mediate ihh-dependent osteoblast differentiation, whereas the repressor function of Gli2 is dispensable for endochondral ossification
Version of Record online: 20 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 6, pages 1818–1826, June 2010
How to Cite
Kesper, D. A., Didt-Koziel, L. and Vortkamp, A. (2010), Gli2 activator function in preosteoblasts is sufficient to mediate ihh-dependent osteoblast differentiation, whereas the repressor function of Gli2 is dispensable for endochondral ossification. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1818–1826. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22301
- Issue online: 17 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 20 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAR 2010
- DFG. Grant Number: Vo 620/5-3
- 1997. Proteolysis that is inhibited by hedgehog targets Cubitus interruptus protein to the nucleus and converts it to a repressor. Cell 89: 1043–1053. , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of the vertebrate Gli proteins in Drosophila reveals a distribution of activator and repressor activities. Development 127: 4293–4301. , , , .
- 2001. Gli1 can rescue the in vivo function of Gli2. Development 128: 5161–5172. , .
- 2004. All mouse ventral spinal cord patterning by hedgehog is Gli dependent and involves an activator function of Gli3. Dev Cell 6: 103–115. , , .
- 2003. Interplays of Gli2 and Gli3 and their requirement in mediating Shh-dependent sclerotome induction. Development 130: 6233–6243. , , , .
- 1998. Protein kinase A directly regulates the activity and proteolysis of cubitus interruptus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 2349–2354. , , , .
- 2006. The level of sonic hedgehog signaling regulates the complexity of cerebellar foliation. Development 133: 1811–1821. , , , .
- 1996. Conservation of the hedgehog/patched signaling pathway from flies to mice: induction of a mouse patched gene by Hedgehog. Genes Dev 10: 301–312. , , , , .
- 2000. Conditional inactivation of VEGF-A in areas of collagen2a1 expression results in embryonic lethality in the heterozygous state. Development 127: 1445–1453. , , , .
- 2005. Ihh controls cartilage development by antagonizing Gli3, but requires additional effectors to regulate osteoblast and vascular development. Development 132: 4339–4351. , , , , .
- 2006. GLI3-dependent transcriptional repression of Gli1, Gli2 and kidney patterning genes disrupts renal morphogenesis. Development 133: 569–578. , , , , , , .
- 1993. A mouse model of Greig cephalopolysyndactyly syndrome: the extra-toes J mutation contains an intragenic deletion of the Gli3 gene. Nat Genet 3: 241–246. , .
- 1994. Expression of three mouse homologs of the Drosophila segment polarity gene cubitus interruptus, Gli, Gli-2, and Gli-3, in ectoderm- and mesoderm-derived tissues suggests multiple roles during postimplantation development. Dev Biol 162: 402–413. , , , , .
- 2009. The Gli2 transcriptional activator is a crucial effector for Ihh signaling in osteoblast development and cartilage vascularization. Development 136: 4177–4185. , .
- 2003. Genetic analysis of zebrafish gli1 and gli2 reveals divergent requirements for Gli genes in vertebrate development. Development 130: 1549– 1564. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Gli3 acts as a repressor downstream of Ihh in regulating two distinct steps of chondrocyte differentiation. Development 132: 5249–5260. , , , .
- 2007. The role of the perichondrium in fetal bone development. Ann NY Acad Sci 1116: 59–64. .
- 2004. Transduction of graded Hedgehog signaling by a combination of Gli2 and Gli3 activator functions in the developing spinal cord. Development 131: 3593–3604. , , , , .
- 2000. Specification of ventral neuron types is mediated by an antagonistic interaction between Shh and Gli3. Nat Neurosci 3: 979–985. , .
- 2002. Shh and Gli3 are dispensable for limb skeleton formation but regulate digit number and identity. Nature 418: 979–983. , , , , .
- 2002. Expression of Cre Recombinase in the developing mouse limb bud driven by a Prxl enhancer. Genesis 33: 77–80. , , , , , .
- 2001. Genetic manipulation of hedgehog signaling in the endochondral skeleton reveals a direct role in the regulation of chondrocyte proliferation. Development 128: 5099–5108. , , , , .
- 2004. Ihh signaling is directly required for the osteoblast lineage in the endochondral skeleton. Development 131: 1309–1318. , , , , , .
- 2007. PTHrP regulates growth plate chondrocyte differentiation and proliferation in a Gli3 dependent manner utilizing hedgehog ligand dependent and independent mechanisms. Dev Biol 305: 28–39. , , , , , .
- 2001. An absolute requirement for Cubitus interruptus in Hedgehog signaling. Development 128: 733–742. , .
- 2003. Sonic hedgehog-dependent activation of Gli2 is essential for embryonic hair follicle development. Genes Dev 17: 282–294. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Interaction of FGF, Ihh/Pthlh, and BMP signaling integrates chondrocyte proliferation and hypertrophic differentiation. Dev Cell 3: 439–449. , , , , .
- 1997. Specific and redundant functions of Gli2 and Gli3 zinc finger genes in skeletal patterning and development. Development 124: 113–123. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. An inversion involving the mouse Shh locus results in brachydactyly through dysregulation of Shh expression. J Clin Invest 115: 900–909. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Sonic hedgehog signaling regulates Gli2 transcriptional activity by suppressing its processing and degradation. Mol Cell Biol 26: 3365–3377. , , , .
- 2009. Phosphorylation of Gli2 by protein kinase A is required for Gli2 processing and degradation and the Sonic Hedgehog-regulated mouse development. Dev Biol 326: 177–189. , , .
- 1999. Apoptosis in murine calvarial bone and suture development. Eur J Oral Sci 107: 265–275. , , .
- 2007. Ihh/Gli2 signaling promotes osteoblast differentiation by regulating Runx2 expression and function. Mol Biol Cell 18: 2411–2418. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Indian hedgehog signaling regulates proliferation and differentiation of chondrocytes and is essential for bone formation. Genes Dev 13: 2072–2086. , , .
- 1996. Regulation of rate of cartilage differentiation by Indian hedgehog and PTH-related protein. Science 273: 613– 622. , , , , , .
- 1994. Murine bone sialoprotein (BSP): cDNA cloning, mRNA expression, and genetic mapping. Mamm Genome 5: 108–111. , , , , .