Canonical Wnt signaling modulates Tbx1, Eya1, and Six1 expression, restricting neurogenesis in the otic vesicle
Version of Record online: 12 MAY 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 6, pages 1708–1722, June 2010
How to Cite
Freyer, L. and Morrow, B. E. (2010), Canonical Wnt signaling modulates Tbx1, Eya1, and Six1 expression, restricting neurogenesis in the otic vesicle. Dev. Dyn., 239: 1708–1722. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22308
- Issue online: 17 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 12 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2010
- NIDCD. Grant Number: DC005186
- 1997. A human homologue of the Drosophila eyes absent gene underlies branchio-oto-renal (BOR) syndrome and identifies a novel gene family. Nat Genet 15: 157–164. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Diversity of LEF/TCF action in development and disease. Oncogene 25: 7492–7504. , , .
- 2009. Groucho binds two conserved regions of LEF-1 for HDAC-dependent repression. BMC Cancer 9: 159. , , .
- 2006. Tissue-specific roles of Tbx1 in the development of the outer, middle and inner ear, defective in 22q11DS patients. Hum Mol Genet 15: 1629–1639. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Evolution of the Groucho/Tle gene family: gene organization and duplication events. Dev Genes Evol 217: 613–618. .
- 2005. Groucho corepressor proteins regulate otic vesicle outgrowth. Dev Dyn 233: 760–771. , , .
- 2002. Control of Drosophila eye specification by Wingless signalling. Development 129: 5313–5322. , .
- 2009. The cell-intrinsic requirement of Sox6 for cortical interneuron development. Neuron 63: 466–481. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Sp1 and kruppel-like factor family of transcription factors in cell growth regulation and cancer. J Cell Physiol 188: 143–160. , , .
- 2005. Role of the hindbrain in dorsoventral but not anteroposterior axial specification of the inner ear. Development 132: 2115–2124. , , .
- 2007. Opposing gradients of Gli repressor and activators mediate Shh signaling along the dorsoventral axis of the inner ear. Development 134: 1713–1722. , , , , , .
- 2005. LIF and BMP signaling generate separate and discrete types of GFAP-expressing cells. Development 132: 5503–5514. , , , , , .
- 2001. Inactivation of the beta-catenin gene by Wnt1-Cre-mediated deletion results in dramatic brain malformation and failure of craniofacial development. Development 128: 1253–1264. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Cooperative function of Tbx1 and Brn4 in the periotic mesenchyme is necessary for cochlea formation. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 9: 33–43. , , , .
- 2009. Tbx1 and Brn4 regulate retinoic acid metabolic genes during cochlear morphogenesis. BMC Dev Biol 9: 31. , , , , .
- 2004. Cre-mediated excision of Fgf8 in the Tbx1 expression domain reveals a critical role for Fgf8 in cardiovascular development in the mouse. Dev Biol 267: 190–202. , , , , , .
- 2004. The role of Pax2 in mouse inner ear development. Dev Biol 272: 161–175. , , , , .
- 2009. Transcription factor TBX1 overexpression induces downregulation of proteins involved in retinoic acid metabolism: a comparative proteomic analysis. J Proteome Res 8: 1515–1526. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Bmp4 is essential for the formation of the vestibular apparatus that detects angular head movements. PLoS Genet 4: e1000050. , , , , , .
- 1998. Groucho proteins: transcriptional corepressors for specific subsets of DNA-binding transcription factors in vertebrates and invertebrates. Genes Dev 12: 1931–1940. , .
- 2000. Otolaryngological manifestations of velocardiofacial syndrome: a retrospective review of 35 patients. Laryngoscope 110: 362–367. , , .
- 2001. Methods on in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry and beta-galactosidase reporter gene detection. Eur J Morphol 39: 169–191. , , , , .
- 2005. Eya1 acts upstream of Tbx1, Neurogenin 1, NeuroD and the neurotrophins BDNF and NT-3 during inner ear development. Mech Dev 122: 625–634. , , , , .
- 2003. Development of inner ear afferent connections: forming primary neurons and connecting them to the developing sensory epithelia. Brain Res Bull 60: 423–433. .
- 2007. Wnt-mediated down-regulation of Sp1 target genes by a transcriptional repressor Sp5. J Biol Chem 282: 1225–1237. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Mice overexpressing genes from the 22q11 region deleted in velo-cardio-facial syndrome/DiGeorge syndrome have middle and inner ear defects. Hum Mol Genet 10: 2549–2556. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Dose-dependent interaction of Tbx1 and Crkl and locally aberrant RA signaling in a model of del22q11 syndrome. Dev Cell 10: 81–92. , , , .
- 1999. Intestinal polyposis in mice with a dominant stable mutation of the beta-catenin gene. EMBO J 18: 5931–5942. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Sp5, a new member of the Sp1 family, is dynamically expressed during development and genetically interacts with Brachyury. Dev Biol 227: 358–372. , , , .
- 1998. decapentaplegic and wingless are regulated by eyes absent and eyegone and interact to direct the pattern of retinal differentiation in the eye disc. Development 125: 3741–3751. , , , .
- 2000. Targeting of cre to the Foxg1 (BF-1) locus mediates loxP recombination in the telencephalon and other developing head structures. Dev Biol 222: 296–306. , .
- 2008. Multiple evolutionarily conserved enhancers control expression of Eya1. Dev Dyn 237: 3142–3156. , , , , .
- 2008. Notch signaling augments the canonical Wnt pathway to specify the size of the otic placode. Development 135: 2251–2261. , , , .
- 2005. Wnt signaling regulates the sequential onset of neurogenesis and gliogenesis via induction of BMPs. Genes Cells 10: 777–783. , , .
- 1995. The atlas of mouse development. 2nd ed. San Diego: Elsevier Academic Press. .
- 2009. Lmx1a maintains proper neurogenic, sensory, and non-sensory domains in the mammalian inner ear. Dev Biol 333: 14–25. , , , , , .
- 1995. Conversion of Xenopus ectoderm into neurons by NeuroD, a basic helix-loop-helix protein. Science 268: 836–844. , , , , , .
- 2000. A local Wnt-3a signal is required for development of the mammalian hippocampus. Development 127: 457–467. , , , .
- 1998. neurogenin1 is essential for the determination of neuronal precursors for proximal cranial sensory ganglia. Neuron 20: 469–482. , , , , .
- 2000. Neurogenin 1 null mutant ears develop fewer, morphologically normal hair cells in smaller sensory epithelia devoid of innervation. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol 1: 129–143. , , .
- 2000. Differential expression of the Groucho-related genes 4 and 5 during early development of Xenopus laevis. Mech Dev 91: 311–315. , , , , .
- 2005. Tbx1 is required for proper neural crest migration and to stabilize spatial patterns during middle and inner ear development. Mech Dev 122: 199–212. , , , , .
- 1998. Development of the mouse inner ear and origin of its sensory organs. J Neurosci 18: 3327–3335. , , , , .
- 1999. Otx1 and Otx2 activities are required for the normal development of the mouse inner ear. Development 126: 2335–2343. , , , , , .
- 1996. Differential expression of bone morphogenetic proteins in the developing vestibular and auditory sensory organs. J Neurosci 16: 6463–6475. , , .
- 2004. Generation of Pax2-Cre mice by modification of a Pax2 bacterial artificial chromosome. Genesis 38: 195–199. , .
- 2006. Wnt signals mediate a fate decision between otic placode and epidermis. Development 133: 865–875. , , , , .
- 2008. Retinoic acid down-regulates Tbx1 expression and induces abnormal differentiation of tongue muscles in fetal mice. Dev Dyn 237: 3059–3070. , , .
- 2004. Six1 controls patterning of the mouse otic vesicle. Development 131: 551–562. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Foxg1 is required for morphogenesis and histogenesis of the mammalian inner ear. Dev Dyn 235: 2470–2482. , , .
- 2004. Suppression of neural fate and control of inner ear morphogenesis by Tbx1. Development 131: 1801–1812. , , , .
- 2007. Cross-regulation of Ngn1 and Math1 coordinates the production of neurons and sensory hair cells during inner ear development. Development 134: 4405–4415. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. LvGroucho and nuclear beta-catenin functionally compete for Tcf binding to influence activation of the endomesoderm gene regulatory network in the sea urchin embryo. Dev Biol 279: 252–267. , , .
- 1999. Hearing loss and otitis media in velo-cardio-facial syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 47: 227–233. , , .
- 2002. Specification of the mammalian cochlea is dependent on Sonic hedgehog. Genes Dev 16: 2365–2378. , , , , .
- 2005. Wnt-dependent regulation of inner ear morphogenesis is balanced by the opposing and supporting roles of Shh. Genes Dev 19: 1612–1623. , , .
- 2005. Retinoic acid down-regulates Tbx1 expression in vivo and in vitro. Dev Dyn 232: 928–938. , , , .
- 2003. The roles of retinoic acid during inner ear development. Curr Top Dev Biol 57: 261–291. .
- 2006a. Retinoid signaling in inner ear development. J Neurobiol 66: 687–704. , , .
- 2006b. Dynamic expression of retinoic acid-synthesizing and -metabolizing enzymes in the developing mouse inner ear. J Comp Neurol 496: 643–654. , , , , , .
- 2004. SIX1 mutations cause branchio-oto-renal syndrome by disruption of EYA1-SIX1-DNA complexes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 8090–8095. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling acts upstream of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling to regulate proximal-distal patterning in the lung. Dev Biol 283: 226–239. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Characterization of Nkx6-2-derived neocortical interneuron lineages. Cereb Cortex 19( suppl 1): i1–i10. , , , , .
- 1999. The Sp-family of transcription factors. Gene 238: 291–300. .
- 2001. The novel transcription factor gene Sp5 exhibits a dynamic and highly restricted expression pattern during mouse embryogenesis. Mech Dev 101: 175–179. , , .
- 1998. The velo-cardio-facial syndrome: the otorhinolaryngeal manifestations and implications. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 45: 133–141. , , , , .
- 2003. Velo-cardio-facial syndrome: guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up of ent manifestations. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 57: 101–106. , , , , , .
- 2003. Decreased embryonic retinoic acid synthesis results in a DiGeorge syndrome phenotype in newborn mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 1763–1768. , , , , .
- 2003. Generating and modifying DiGeorge syndrome-like phenotypes in model organisms: is there a common genetic pathway? Trends Genet 19: 588–593. , .
- 1999. Eya1-deficient mice lack ears and kidneys and show abnormal apoptosis of organ primordia. Nat Genet 23: 113–117. , , , , , .
- 2007. Tbx1 regulates population, proliferation and cell fate determination of otic epithelial cells. Dev Biol 302: 670–682. , , , , , .
- 2006. TBX1, a DiGeorge syndrome candidate gene, is inhibited by retinoic acid. Int J Dev Biol 50: 55–61. , , , , , .
- 2008. Activation of beta-catenin signaling programs embryonic epidermis to hair follicle fate. Development 135: 2161– 2172. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The role of Six1 in mammalian auditory system development. Development 130: 3989–4000. , , , , , .
- 2004. Eya1 and Six1 are essential for early steps of sensory neurogenesis in mammalian cranial placodes. Development 131: 5561–5572. , , , .
- 2006. Patterning of the third pharyngeal pouch into thymus/parathyroid by Six and Eya1. Dev Biol 293: 499–512. , , , , , .
- 2008. Eya1 gene dosage critically affects the development of sensory epithelia in the mammalian inner ear. Hum Mol Genet 17: 3340–3356. , , , , , .