Patterns & Phenotypes
Regional expression of the ADAMs in developing chicken cochlea
Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 8, pages 2256–2265, August 2010
How to Cite
Yan, X., Lin, J., Wang, H., Markus, A., Wree, A., Rolfs, A. and Luo, J. (2010), Regional expression of the ADAMs in developing chicken cochlea. Dev. Dyn., 239: 2256–2265. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22360
- Issue online: 14 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUN 2010
- German Research Foundation (DFG). Grant Number: LU1455/1-1
- 1997. ADAM 13: a novel ADAM expressed in somitic mesoderm and neural crest cells during Xenopus laevis development. Dev Biol 182: 314–330. , , , .
- 2009. ADAM function in embryogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol 20: 153–163. , , .
- 2005. ADAMs: key components in EGFR signalling and development. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6: 32–43. .
- 2000. Molecular genetics of pattern formation in the inner ear: do compartment boundaries play a role? Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 11700–11706. , , , , .
- 2007. Targeting of retinal axons requires the metalloproteinase ADAM10. J Neurosci 27: 8448–8456. , , , , .
- 1978. The development of hair cells in the embryonic chick's basilar papilla. Acta Otolaryngol 86: 342–358. , .
- 1985. Development of the embryonic chick's tectorial membrane. Hear Res 18: 29–39. , .
- 1987. Ultrastructural and electrophysiological maturation of the chick tegmentum vasculosum. Hear Res 25: 125–139. , , , .
- 2005. Two contrasting roles for Notch activity in chick inner ear development: specification of prosensory patches and lateral inhibition of hair-cell differentiation. Development 132: 541–551. , .
- 2008. The ADAM metalloproteinases. Mol Aspects Med 29: 258–289. , , .
- 1998. Hair cells and supporting cells share a common progenitor in the avian inner ear. J Neurosci 18: 7811–7821. , , .
- 2003. ADAM 10: an active metalloprotease expressed during avian epithelial morphogenesis. Dev Biol 256: 146–159. , .
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J Morphol 88: 49–92. , .
- 1987. Spatial and temporal expression pattern of N-cadherin cell adhesion molecules correlated with morphogenetic processes of chicken embryos. Dev Biol 120: 215–227. , , , .
- 1998. Molecular markers for cell types of the inner ear and candidate genes for hearing disorders. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 11400–11405. , , , .
- 1997. Maintenance of neuroepithelial progenitor cells by Delta-Notch signalling in the embryonic chick retina. Curr Biol 7: 661–670. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Metalloprotease-induced ectodomain shedding of neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM). J Neurobiol 66: 1378–1395. , , , .
- 1980. A freeze-fracture study of intercellular junctions between various kinds of epithelial cells surrounding common endolymphatic space in the hearing organ of the chick. Anat Rec 196: 129–143. .
- 1978. Ontogeny of behavioral responsiveness to sound in the chick embryo as indicated by electrical recordings of motility. J Comp Physiol Psychol 92: 682–696. , .
- 2006. Emergence of hearing in the chicken embryo. J Neurophysiol 96: 128–141. , , .
- 1997. Expression of neurite outgrowth factor and gicerin during inner ear development and hair cell regeneration in the chick. J Neurocytol 26: 501–509. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Proteolytic cleavage of the neural cell adhesion molecule by ADAM17/TACE is involved in neurite outgrowth. J Neurochem 98: 78–88. , , , , .
- 2005. The Notch ligands DLL1 and JAG2 act synergistically to regulate hair cell development in the mammalian inner ear. Development 132: 4353–4362. , , , , .
- 2009. ADAM-10-mediated N-cadherin cleavage is protein kinase C-alpha dependent and promotes glioblastoma cell migration. J Neurosci 29: 4605–4615. , , , .
- 2004. Instructive role of Wnt/beta-catenin in sensory fate specification in neural crest stem cells. Science 303: 1020–1023. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Gastric proton pump is expressed in the inner ear and choroid plexus of the rat. Hear Res 149: 147–154. , , , .
- 2004. Isolation and embryonic expression of avian ADAM 12 and ADAM 19. Gene Expr Patterns 5: 75–79. , , .
- 2007. Regionalized expression of ADAM13 during chicken embryonic development. Dev Dyn 236: 862–870. , , .
- 2008. Differential expression of five members of ADAM family in the developing chicken brain. Neuroscience 157: 360–375. , , .
- 2010. Expression of seven members of the ADAM family in developing chicken spinal cord. Dev Dyn 239: 1246–1254. , , , , , .
- 2004. Overexpression of genes in Purkinje cells in the embryonic chicken cerebellum by in vivo electroporation. J Neurosci Methods 139: 241–245. , .
- 2004. Cadherins guide migrating Purkinje cells to specific parasagittal domains during cerebellar development. Mol Cell Neurosci 25: 138–152. , , .
- 2007. Cadherin expression in the developing chicken cochlea. Dev Dyn 236: 2331–2337. , , , .
- 2000. Cochlear mechanisms from a phylogenetic viewpoint. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 11736–11743. .
- 2005. ADAM10 mediates E-cadherin shedding and regulates epithelial cell-cell adhesion, migration, and beta-catenin translocation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 9182–9187. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. RECK modulates Notch signaling during cortical neurogenesis by regulating ADAM10 activity. Nat Neurosci 10: 838–845. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Neural crest emigration from the neural tube depends on regulated cadherin expression. Development 125: 2963–2971. , .
- 2009. Xenopus ADAM19 is involved in neural, neural crest and muscle development. Mech Dev 126: 240–255. , , , , .
- 1992. Restricted expression of N- and R-cadherin on neurites of the developing chicken CNS. J Neurosci 12: 3525–3534. , , .
- 2009. The “a disintegrin and metalloprotease” (ADAM) family of sheddases: physiological and cellular functions. Semin Cell Dev Biol 20: 126–137. , .
- 2005. ADAM10 cleavage of N-cadherin and regulation of cell-cell adhesion and beta-catenin nuclear signalling. EMBO J 24: 742–752. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Regulated ADAM10-dependent ectodomain shedding of gamma-protocadherin C3 modulates cell-cell adhesion. J Biol Chem 281: 21735–21744. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Specification of the mammalian cochlea is dependent on Sonic hedgehog. Genes Dev 16: 2365–2378. , , , , .
- 1987. Expression of cell adhesion molecules during embryonic induction. III. Development of the otic placode. Dev Biol 119: 217–230. , , , .
- 1989. The surface morphology of the avian tectorial membrane. Hear Res 37: 179–187. .
- 1995. Recovery of noise-induced changes in the dark cells of the quail tegmentum vasculosum. Hear Res 83: 51–61. , , , .
- 2001. Cyclosporin A inhibits the extrusion pump function of p-glycoprotein in the inner ear of mice treated with vinblastine and doxorubicin. Brain Res 901: 265–270. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Clonal analysis of the relationships between mechanosensory cells and the neurons that innervate them in the chicken ear. Development 132: 1687–1697. , .
- 1973. The development of auditory evoked responses in the cochlea and cochlear nuclei of the chick. Brain Res 63: 59–74. , , .
- 1990. SEM analysis of the developing tectorial membrane in the chick cochlea. Hear Res 47: 147–157. , .
- 2008. Comprehensive Wnt-related gene expression during cochlear duct development in chicken. J Comp Neurol 510: 378–395. , .
- 2007. ADAM23 plays multiple roles in neuronal differentiation of P19 embryonal carcinoma cells. Neurochem Res 32: 1217–1223. , , , , , , , , .
- 1975. Structure of the avian tectorial membrame. Ann Otol 84: 287–296. , .
- 1998. The development of the vertebrate inner ear. Mech Dev 71: 5–21. , .
- 2002. Cell density and N-cadherin interactions regulate cell proliferation in the sensory epithelia of the inner ear. J Neurosci 22: 2607–2616. .
- 1993. Regenerative proliferation in inner ear sensory epithelia from adult guinea pigs and humans. Science 259: 1619–1622. , , , , .
- 2003. ADAMs: modulators of cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions. Curr Opin Cell Biol 15: 598–606. .
- 1995. ADAM, a widely distributed and developmentally regulated gene family encoding membrane proteins with a disintegrin and metalloprotease domain. Dev Biol 169: 378–383. , , , , , , .
- 2005. A disintegrin and metalloprotease 21 (ADAM21) is associated with neurogenesis and axonal growth in developing and adult rodent CNS. J Comp Neurol 490: 163–179. , , .
- 2006. The ADAMs family: coordinators of nervous system development, plasticity and repair. Prog Neurobiol 79: 73–94. , , .
- 2006. ADAM28 participates in the regulation of tooth development. Arch Oral Biol 51: 996–1005. , , , , .
- 2009. Testase 1 (ADAM 24) a sperm surface metalloprotease is required for normal fertility in mice. Mol Reprod Dev 76: 1106–1114. , , , .