A Cdh1HA knock-in allele rescues the Cdh1−/− phenotype but shows essential Cdh1 function during placentation
Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 9, pages 2330–2344, September 2010
How to Cite
Stemmler, M. P. and Bedzhov, I. (2010), A Cdh1HA knock-in allele rescues the Cdh1−/− phenotype but shows essential Cdh1 function during placentation. Dev. Dyn., 239: 2330–2344. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22375
- Issue online: 24 AUG 2010
- Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUN 2010
- 2008. EPLIN mediates linkage of the cadherin catenin complex to F-actin and stabilizes the circumferential actin belt. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105: 13–19. , .
- 2000. Essential role of p38alpha MAP kinase in placental but not embryonic cardiovascular development. Mol Cell 6: 109–116. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Extensive vasculogenesis, angiogenesis, and organogenesis precede lethality in mice lacking all alpha v integrins. Cell 95: 507–519. , , , .
- 2007. Expression of dysadherin and E-cadherin in trophoblastic tissue in normal and abnormal pregnancies. Placenta 28: 590–592. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Essential role for the c-met receptor in the migration of myogenic precursor cells into the limb bud. Nature 376: 768–771. , , , , .
- 2007. Expression of E-cadherin and its repressor snail in placental tissue of normal, preeclamptic and HELLP pregnancies. Virchows Arch 450: 195–202. , , , , , , .
- 2002. E-cadherin is a survival factor for the lactating mouse mammary gland. Mech Dev 115: 53–62. , , , , .
- 2005. E-cadherin in the assessment of aberrant placental cytotrophoblast turnover in pregnancies complicated by pre-eclampsia. Histochem Cell Biol 124: 499–506. , , , .
- 1991. E-cadherin expression during the differentiation of human trophoblasts. Development 113: 767–777. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Branching morphogenesis during development of placental villi. Differentiation 74: 393–401. , , , , .
- 2004. Maternal beta-catenin and E-cadherin in mouse development. Development 131: 4435–4445. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Placental rescue reveals a sole requirement for c-Myc in embryonic erythroblast survival and hematopoietic stem cell function. Development 135: 2455–2465. , , , , , .
- 2004. Tissue-specific and inducible Cre-mediated recombination in the gut epithelium. Genesis 39: 186–193. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. E-cadherin binding modulates EGF receptor activation. Cell Commun Adhes 10: 105–118. , , , , .
- 2000. Localization of E-cadherin in villous, extravillous and vascular trophoblasts during intrauterine, ectopic and molar pregnancy. Mol Hum Reprod 6: 943–950. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Regulation of beta-catenin mRNA and protein levels in human villous cytotrophoblasts undergoing aggregation and fusion in vitro: correlation with E-cadherin expression. J Reprod Fertil 119: 59–68. , , .
- 1994. Essential role of Mash-2 in extraembryonic development. Nature 371: 333–336. , , , , .
- 2005. Regulation of cadherin-mediated adhesion in morphogenesis. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6: 622–634. .
- 1998. Generating green fluorescent mice by germline transmission of green fluorescent ES cells. Mech Dev 76: 79–90. , , , , .
- 2009. The HELLP syndrome: clinical issues and management. A review. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9: 8. , , .
- 1986. Expression of N-cadherin adhesion molecules associated with early morphogenetic events in chick development. Nature 320: 447–449. , .
- 2003. Identification of a promoter-specific transcriptional activation domain at the C terminus of the Wnt effector protein T-cell factor 4. J Biol Chem 278: 3776–3785. , .
- 2000. The p300/CBP acetyltransferases function as transcriptional coactivators of beta-catenin in vertebrates. EMBO J 19: 1839–1850. , , , , .
- 2010. Beta-catenin-mediated signaling and cell adhesion in postgastrulation mouse embryos. Dev Dyn 239: 191–199. , .
- 2004. First cleavage plane of the mouse egg is not predetermined but defined by the topology of the two apposing pronuclei. Nature 430: 360–364. , .
- 2005. Progressive loss of the spongiotrophoblast layer of Birc6/Bruce mutants results in embryonic lethality. Genesis 42: 91–103. , , , , .
- 1994. Beta-catenin mediates the interaction of the cadherin-catenin complex with epidermal growth factor receptor. J Cell Biol 127: 1375–1380. , , .
- 2007. Gene replacement reveals a specific role for E-cadherin in the formation of a functional trophectoderm. Development 134: 31–41. , , , , , , .
- 2009. The biology of preeclampsia. Kidney Int 76: 831–837. , .
- 1981. Reactivity of monoclonal antibodies against intermediate filament proteins during embryonic development. J Embryol Exp Morphol 64: 45–60. , , , , .
- 2000. Defective vascular development in connexin 45-deficient mice. Development 127: 4179–4193. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Loss of E-cadherin leads to upregulation of NFkappaB activity in malignant melanoma. Oncogene 23: 8509–8519. , , , , .
- 2005. Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in development and cancer: role of phosphatidylinositol 3′ kinase/AKT pathways. Oncogene 24: 7443–7454. , .
- 1994. E-cadherin null mutant embryos fail to form a trophectoderm epithelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 8263–8267. , , , .
- 2003. How introns influence and enhance eukaryotic gene expression. Trends Biochem Sci 28: 215–220. , , .
- 2001. N-cadherin-mediated intercellular interactions promote survival and migration of melanoma cells. Cancer Res 61: 3819–3825. , , .
- 2006. Phenotypic analysis of the mouse placenta. Methods Mol Med 121: 275–293. , , .
- 2009. Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in development and disease: old views and new perspectives. Int J Dev Biol 53: 1541–1547. .
- 2009. Remodeling of the adherens junctions during morphogenesis. Curr Top Dev Biol 89: 33–54. , .
- 1986. A novel cadherin cell adhesion molecule: its expression patterns associated with implantation and organogenesis of mouse embryos. J Cell Biol 103: 2649–2658. , .
- 2002. Placental-fetal interrelationship in IUGR fetuses--a review. Placenta 23( suppl A): S136–S141. , , .
- 2000. Signaling from E-cadherins to the MAPK pathway by the recruitment and activation of epidermal growth factor receptors upon cell-cell contact formation. J Biol Chem 275: 41227–41233. , .
- 1999. Activation of the protein kinase Akt/PKB by the formation of E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell junctions. Evidence for the association of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase with the E-cadherin adhesion complex. J Biol Chem 274: 19347–19351. , , , .
- 2001. Connexin31-deficiency in mice causes transient placental dysmorphogenesis but does not impair hearing and skin differentiation. Dev Biol 231: 334–347. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Precocious mammary gland development in P-cadherin-deficient mice. J Cell Biol 139: 1025–1032. , , , , , , .
- 1995. A targeted mutation in the mouse E-cadherin gene results in defective preimplantation development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 855–859. , , .
- 2001. Placental development: lessons from mouse mutants. Nat Rev Genet 2: 538–548. , .
- 1995. Scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor is essential for liver development. Nature 373: 699–702. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A cre-transgenic mouse strain for the ubiquitous deletion of loxP-flanked gene segments including deletion in germ cells. Nucleic Acids Res 23: 5080–5081. , , .
- 2002. The role of E-cadherin in the motility and invasion of implantation site intermediate trophoblast. Placenta 23: 706–715. , , , , , .
- 1995. Strain-dependent epithelial defects in mice lacking the EGF receptor. Science 269: 234–238. , .
- 2008. Early patterning of the chorion leads to the trilaminar trophoblast cell structure in the placental labyrinth. Development 135: 2083–2091. , , , , , .
- 1999. Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat Genet 21: 70–71. .
- 2008. Cadherins in development and cancer. Mol Biosyst 4: 835–850. .
- 2003. Analysis of regulatory elements of E-cadherin with reporter gene constructs in transgenic mouse embryos. Dev Dyn 227: 238–245. , , , .
- 2005. E-cadherin intron 2 contains cis-regulatory elements essential for gene expression. Development 132: 965–976. , , .
- 1988. The cadherins: cell-cell adhesion molecules controlling animal morphogenesis. Development 102: 639–655. .
- 2000. Cytokeratins 8 and 19 in the mouse placental development. J Cell Biol 151: 563–572. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Aggregation chimeras: combining ES cells, diploid, and tetraploid embryos. Methods Mol Biol 530: 287–309. , , , .
- 2006. Complex networks orchestrate epithelial-mesenchymal transitions. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 7: 131–142. , .
- 2005. E-cadherin is essential for in vivo epidermal barrier function by regulating tight junctions. EMBO J 24: 1146–1156. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The role of the ZEB family of transcription factors in development and disease. Cell Mol Life Sci 66: 773–787. , , .
- 1984. Rabbit antiserum against a purified surface glycoprotein decompacts mouse preimplantation embryos and reacts with specific adult tissues. Exp Cell Res 152: 169–178. , .
- 2005. Development of structures and transport functions in the mouse placenta. Physiology (Bethesda) 20: 180–193. , .
- 1998. Fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 (FGFR2)-mediated reciprocal regulation loop between FGF8 and FGF10 is essential for limb induction. Development 125: 753–765. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Methylation status and expression of E-cadherin and cadherin-11 in gestational trophoblastic diseases. Int J Gynecol Cancer 13: 879–888. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Disruption of overlapping transcripts in the ROSA beta geo 26 gene trap strain leads to widespread expression of beta-galactosidase in mouse embryos and hematopoietic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 3789–3794. , , , , , .
- 1997. Human cytotrophoblasts adopt a vascular phenotype as they differentiate. A strategy for successful endovascular invasion? J Clin Invest 99: 2139–2151. , , , , , , .
- 2006. p38 and a p38-interacting protein are critical for downregulation of E-cadherin during mouse gastrulation. Cell 125: 957–969. , , , , , .