Jinqiao Sun and Wenhao Zhou contributed equally to this work.
Endothelial cells promote neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation associated with VEGF activated Notch and Pten signaling
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 9, pages 2345–2353, September 2010
How to Cite
Sun, J., Zhou, W., Ma, D. and Yang, Y. (2010), Endothelial cells promote neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation associated with VEGF activated Notch and Pten signaling. Dev. Dyn., 239: 2345–2353. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22377
Jinqiao Sun and Wenhao Zhou contributed equally to this work.
- Issue published online: 24 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUN 2010
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 30571963
- Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University. Grant Number: NCET-07-0211
- National 973 Project. Grant Number: 2009CB941704
- Fudan University Postgraduate Innovation Fund. Grant Number: EYF156004
- 2006. Notch signaling is required to maintain all neural stem cell populations--irrespective of spatial or temporal niche. Dev Neurosci 28: 34–48. , , , , .
- 2001. Deletion of Pten in mouse brain causes seizures, ataxia and defects in soma size resembling Lhermitte-Duclos disease. Nat Genet 29: 396–403. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Stem cells of the adult mammalian brain and their niche. Cell Mol Life Sci 66: 1057–1072. , .
- 2002. LeX/ssea-1 is expressed by adult mouse CNS stem cells identifying them as nonependymal. Neuron 35: 865–875. , .
- 2007. Regulating the Notch pathway in embryonic, adult and old stem cells. Curr Opin Pharmacol 7: 303–309. , .
- 2008. Regulation of neural progenitor cell development in the nervous system. J Neurochem 106: 2272–2287. , , , , , .
- 1999. A submersion method to induce hypoxic damage in organotypic hippocampal cultures. J Neurosci. Methods 89: 25–31. , , .
- 2004. Socializing with the neighbors: stem cells and their niche. Cell 116: 769–778. , , .
- 2007. Production of Wnt inhibitors by myeloma cells: potential effects on canonical Wnt pathway in the bone microenvironment. Cancer Res 67: 7665–7674. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Pten deletion in adult neural stem/progenitor cells enhances constitutive neurogenesis. J Neurosci 29: 1874–1886. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2001. Negative regulation of neural stem/progenitor cell proliferation by the Pten tumor suppressor gene in vivo. Science 294: 2186–2189. , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Induction of neurogenesis in nonconventional neurogenic regions of the adult central nervous system by niche astrocyte-produced signals. Stem Cells 26: 1221–1230. , .
- 2002. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) stimulates neurogenesis in vitro and in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 11946–11950. , , , , , .
- 2009. Basic fibroblast growth factor stimulates the proliferation and differentiation of neural stem cells in neonatal rats after ischemic brain injury. Brain Dev 31: 331–340. , , , .
- 2001. Pten regulates neuronal soma size: a mouse model of Lhermitte-Duclos disease. Nat Genet 29: 404–411. , , , , , , , ,
- 1999. Endothelial trophic support of neuronal production and recruitment from the adult mammalian subependyma. Mol Cell Neurosci 13: 450–464. , , , , .
- 2002. Coordinated interaction of neurogenesis and angiogenesis in the adult songbird brain. Neuron 34: 945–960. , , , .
- 1999. Multiple roles of bone morphogenetic protein signaling in the regulation of cortical cell number and phenotype. J Neurosci 19: 7077–7088. , , .
- 2002. Anatomy of the brain neurogenic zones revisited: fractones and the fibroblast/macrophage network. J Comp Neurol 451: 170–188. , , .
- 2008. Microenvironmental determinants of adult neural stem cell proliferation and lineage commitment in the healthy and injured central nervous system. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 3: 163–184. , , , , .
- 2000. Vascular niche for adult hippocampal neurogenesis. J Comp Neurol 425: 479–494. , , .
- 2002. Rat forebrain neurogenesis and striatal neuron replacement after focal stroke. Ann Neurol 52: 802–813. , , , , .
- 1997. In vitro ischemia promotes glutamate-mediated free radical generation and intracellular calcium accumulation in pyramidal neurons of cultured hippocampal slices J Neurosci 23: 9085–9094. , , .
- 2005. NGF controls dendrite development in hippocampal neurons by binding to p75 NTR and modulating the cellular targets of Notch. Mol Biol Cell 16: 339–347. , , , , .
- 2006. Notch and NGF/p75NTR control dendrite morphology and the balance of excitatory/inhibitory synaptic input to hippocampal neurones through Neurogenin 3. J Neurochem 97: 1269–1278. , , , .
- 2004. endothelial cells stimulate self-renewal and expand neurogenesis of neural stem cells. Science 304: 1338–1340. , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Inhibitory effect of blocking TGF-beta/Smad signal on injury-induced fibrosis of corneal endothelium. Mol Vis 14: 2272–2281. , , , , , .
- 2001. Significance analysis of microarrays applied to transcriptional responses to ionizing radiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 5116–5121. , , .
- 2004. Inhibition of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 protein expression by antisense oligonucleotides is neuroprotective after transient middle cerebral artery occlusion in rat. Stroke 35: 179–184. , , .
- 2007. VEGF-overexpressing transgenic mice show enhanced post-ischemic neurogenesis and neuromigration. J Neurosci Res 85: 740–747. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Unbiased stereological estimation of the total number of neurons in the subdivisions of the rat hippocampus using the optical fractionator. Anat Rec 231: 482–497. , , .
- 2004. Cellular interactions in the stem cell niche. Science 304: 1253–1255. , , .
- 2007. Upregulation of Flk-1 by bFGF via the ERK pathway is essential for VEGF-mediated promotion of neural stem cell proliferation. Cell Res 17: 73–79. , , , , , .
- 2004. Constitutive and inducible expression and regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 15: 297–324. , , , .
- 2005. Notch signaling in the mammalian central nervous system: insights from mouse mutants. Nat Neurosci 8: 709–715. , .
- 2007. Integration of statistical inference methods and a novel control measure to improve sensitivity and specificity of data analysis in expression profiling studies. J Biomed Inform 40: 552–560. , , , .
- 2007. A comprehensive evaluation of SAM, the SAM R-package and a simple modification to improve its performance. BMC Bioinformatics 8: 230. .
- 2003. VEGF is a chemoattractant for FGF-2 stimulated neural progenitors. J Cell Biol 163: 1375–1384. , , , .
- 2008. p53 and Pten control neural and glioma stem/progenitor cell renewal and differentiation. Nature 455: 1129–1133. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2008. Insulin growth factor-1 gene transfer enhances neurovascular remodeling and improves long-term stroke outcome in mice. Stroke 39: 1254–1261. , , , , , , ,