Patterns & Phenotypes
Cath6, a bHLH atonal family proneural gene, negatively regulates neuronal differentiation in the retina
Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 239, Issue 9, pages 2492–2500, September 2010
How to Cite
Kubo, F. and Nakagawa, S. (2010), Cath6, a bHLH atonal family proneural gene, negatively regulates neuronal differentiation in the retina. Dev. Dyn., 239: 2492–2500. doi: 10.1002/dvdy.22381
- Issue online: 24 AUG 2010
- Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUN 2010
- Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research. Grant Number: 19570216
- 1995. Vertebrate retinal ganglion cells are selected from competent progenitors by the action of Notch. Development 121: 3637–3650. , , , .
- 2002. Proneural genes and the specification of neural cell types. Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 517–530. , , .
- 2000. Regulation of Drosophila wing vein patterning: net encodes a bHLH protein repressing rhomboid and is repressed by rhomboid-dependent Egfr signalling. Development 127: 4729–4741. , , , .
- 1998. Math5 encodes a murine basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor expressed during early stages of retinal neurogenesis. Development 125: 4821–4833. , , , , , .
- 2001. Math5 is required for retinal ganglion cell and optic nerve formation. Development 128: 2497–2508. , , , .
- 1991. Transcriptional activation by heterodimers of the achaete-scute and daughterless gene products of Drosophila. EMBO J 10: 2965–2973. , .
- 1997. A role for Siamois in Spemann organizer formation. Development 124: 2581–2589. , .
- 2000. Identification of a proliferating marginal zone of retinal progenitors in postnatal chickens. Dev Biol 220: 197–210. , .
- 2004. Retinal cell fate determination and bHLH factors. Semin Cell Dev Biol 15: 83–89. , .
- 2004. Hes genes regulate size, shape and histogenesis of the nervous system by control of the timing of neural stem cell differentiation. Development 131: 5539–5550. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Maintenance of neuroepithelial progenitor cells by Delta-Notch signalling in the embryonic chick retina. Curr Biol 7: 661–670. , , , , , , .
- 1968. Differential addition of cells to the retina in Rana pipiens tadpoles. Dev Biol 18: 163–179. .
- 1988. Cellular determination in the Xenopus retina is independent of lineage and birth date. Neuron 1: 15–26. , , , .
- 2001. The bHLH factors Xath5 and XNeuroD can upregulate the expression of XBrn3d, a POU-homeodomain transcription factor. Dev Biol 232: 327–338. , .
- 2001. Math6, a bHLH gene expressed in the developing nervous system, regulates neuronal versus glial differentiation. Genes Cells 6: 977–986. , , , , , .
- 2002. Math3 and NeuroD regulate amacrine cell fate specification in the retina. Development 129: 831–842. , , , , , .
- 1995. Targeted disruption of mammalian hairy and Enhancer of split homolog-1 (HES-1) leads to up-regulation of neural helix-loop-helix factors, premature neurogenesis, and severe neural tube defects. Genes Dev 9: 3136–3148. , , , , , .
- 1977. Growth of the adult goldfish eye. III. Source of the new retinal cells. J Comp Neurol 176: 343–357. .
- 1992. DNA binding and transcriptional regulatory activity of mammalian achaete-scute homologous (MASH) proteins revealed by interaction with a muscle-specific enhancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 3596–3600. , , , .
- 1997. bHLH transcription factors and mammalian neuronal differentiation. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 29: 1389–1399. , , , .
- 2005. Roles of bHLH genes in neural stem cell differentiation. Exp Cell Res 306: 343–348. , , , .
- 2007. The Hes gene family: repressors and oscillators that orchestrate embryogenesis. Development 134: 1243–1251. , , .
- 1997. Xath5 participates in a network of bHLH genes in the developing Xenopus retina. Neuron 19: 981–994. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Retinal ganglion cell genesis requires lakritz, a Zebrafish atonal Homolog. Neuron 30: 725–736. , , , , .
- 2009. Hairy1 acts as a node downstream of Wnt signaling to maintain retinal stem cell-like progenitor cells in the chick ciliary marginal zone. Development 136: 1823–1833. , .
- 2003. Wnt2b controls retinal cell differentiation at the ciliary marginal zone. Development 130: 587–598. , , .
- 2005. Wnt2b inhibits differentiation of retinal progenitor cells in the absence of Notch activity by downregulating the expression of proneural genes. Development 132: 2759–2770. , , .
- 2001. The basic helix-loop-helix protein family: comparative genomics and phylogenetic analysis. Genome Res 11: 754–770. , .
- 2005. Multiple requirements for Hes 1 during early eye formation. Dev Biol 284: 464–478. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The Ath5 proneural genes function upstream of Brn3 POU domain transcription factor genes to promote retinal ganglion cell development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 1649–1654. , , .
- 2001. Vertebrate neural cell-fate determination: lessons from the retina. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 109–118. , .
- 2008. Identification of the bHLH factor Math6 as a novel component of the embryonic pancreas transcriptional network. PLoS ONE 3: e2430. , , , , .
- 2001. Specification of neurotransmitter receptor identity in developing retina: the chick ATH5 promoter integrates the positive and negative effects of several bHLH proteins. Development 128: 217–231. , , , , .
- 1999. The development of the pattern of retinal ganglion cells in the chick retina: mechanisms that control differentiation. Development 126: 5713–5724. , , .
- 1999. NeuroD regulates multiple functions in the developing neural retina in rodent. Development 126: 23–36. , , , .
- 2004. Retinal stem cells and regeneration. Int J Dev Biol 48: 1003–1014. , , .
- 2008. Relationship between Delta-like and proneural bHLH genes during chick retinal development. Dev Dyn 237: 1565–1580. , .
- 1991. Efficient selection for high-expression transfectants with a novel eukaryotic vector. Gene 108: 193–199. , , .
- 1996. TreeView: an application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Comput Appl Biosci 12: 357–358. .
- 2000. Retinal stem cells in vertebrates. Bioessays 22: 685–688. , .
- 1998. The genetic sequence of retinal development in the ciliary margin of the Xenopus eye. Dev Biol 199: 185–200. , , , .
- 1999. X-ngnr-1 and Xath3 promote ectopic expression of sensory neuron markers in the neurula ectoderm and have distinct inducing properties in the retina. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 14996–15001. , , , , .
- 1991. Spatial and temporal patterns of neurogenesis in the chick retina. Eur J Neurosci 3: 559–569. , , , , .
- 2006. Math6 expression during kidney development and altered expression in a mouse model of glomerulosclerosis. Dev Dyn 235: 3102–3109. , , , , , .
- 1988. GAL4-VP16 is an unusually potent transcriptional activator. Nature 335: 563–564. , , , .
- 2002. A novel repressor-type homeobox gene, ved, is involved in dharma/bozozok-mediated dorsal organizer formation in zebrafish. Mech Dev 118: 125–138. , , , , , .
- 1996. neurogenins, a novel family of atonal-related bHLH transcription factors, are putative mammalian neuronal determination genes that reveal progenitor cell heterogeneity in the developing CNS and PNS. Mol Cell Neurosci 8: 221–241. , , .
- 1995. Cell birthdays in Xenopus laevis retina. Differentiation 58: 189–193. , .
- 1971. The growth of the retina in Xenopus laevis: an autoradiographic study. J Embryol Exp Morphol 26: 67–79. , .
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 2001. A large-scale in situ screen provides molecular evidence for the induction of eye anterior segment structures by the developing lens. Dev Biol 231: 63–76. , , , .
- 2000. Mammalian achaete-scute and atonal homologs regulate neuronal versus glial fate determination in the central nervous system. EMBO J 19: 5460–5472. , , , , .
- 1998. Structure and promoter analysis of Math3 gene, a mouse homolog of Drosophila proneural gene atonal. Neural-specific expression by dual promoter elements. J Biol Chem 273: 6327–6333. , , , .
- 1987. A common progenitor for neurons and glia persists in rat retina late in development. Nature 328: 131–136. , .
- 2001. The role of basic helix-loop-helix genes in vertebrate retinogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol 12: 491–498. , .
- 2001. Requirement for math5 in the development of retinal ganglion cells. Genes Dev 15: 24–29. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Gene expression profile of human endothelial cells exposed to sustained fluid shear stress. Physiol Genomics 12: 13–23. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Cell lineage analysis reveals multipotent precursors in the ciliary margin of the frog retina. Dev Biol 136: 254–263. , , .
- 1998. neuroD induces photoreceptor cell overproduction in vivo and de novo generation in vitro. J Neurobiol 36: 485–496. , .
- 1985. Cell differentiation in the retina of the mouse. Anat Rec 212: 199–205. .